The "War On Drugs" Was A Lie To Legitimize Attacks On Leftists And Blacks

haidut

Forum Supporter
Don't think this will come as a surprise to the people reading this forum. My only questions is this. If the "War on Drugs" was a lie and simply a political tool for Nixon to destabilize the "enemies of the state", then what are the "War on Cancer" or "War on Dementia" waged by the same President?

Report: Nixon aide says war on drugs targeted blacks, hippies - CNNPolitics.com

"...One of Richard Nixon's top advisers and a key figure in the Watergate scandal said the war on drugs was created as a political tool to fight blacks and hippies, according to a 22-year-old interview recently published in Harper's Magazine. "The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people," former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman told Harper's writer Dan Baum for the April cover story published Tuesday. "You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin. And then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities," Ehrlichman said. "We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did." Ehrlichman's comment is the first time the war on drugs has been plainly characterized as a political assault designed to help Nixon win, and keep, the White House."

mujuro

I would usually identify as a conservative for simplicity's sake - I believe in a strong family unit, traditional values, working hard - but I'm more inclined towards the label of classic liberal or "conserva-tarian" these days, and when it comes to drugs I tend to fall into the Milton Friedman/William F. Buckley school of thought.

bobbybobbob

The war on drugs was a counter reaction to the Warren Court reforms. It was about restoring to police and prosecutors the flexibility and discretion they had previously exercised to maintain order in neighborhoods. Crime had spun out of control in the cities. Everybody has known this for ages.

The dirty secret of the modern war on drugs is that practically nobody is *really* in prison for drugs. Everybody doing time is there on plea deals for drug charges, but those charges aren't what's really going on. The cops and DAs know who these people are and know the property and violent crimes they are regularly committing. Drugs and weapons possession charges are used because they're super easy to prove, not because cops actually care about drugs.

Everybody in the neighborhood, including the cops, will know some guy is regularly breaking into cars and committing petty theft. Usually to feed a drug habit. Eventually after pissing off enough people he'll be targeted by the law. The cops find it a lot easier to achieve the ends via drug possession charges than staging some sting operation to catch him the act of smashing a car window.

The crack vs. powdered cocaine sentencing disparity comes up all the time as some sort of proof that the drug laws are racist and targeting blacks. People don't get that those laws were lobbied for and passed *by* blacks. It's a way to get people who are a dangerous pain in the **** off the streets. It's never really about the drugs.

postman

I would usually identify as a conservative for simplicity's sake - I believe in a strong family unit, traditional values, working hard - but I'm more inclined towards the label of classic liberal or "conserva-tarian" these days, and when it comes to drugs I tend to fall into the Milton Friedman/William F. Buckley school of thought.
You can be a libertarian but still embrace conservative values, as long as you don't want to enforce them using agressive force.

Hugh Johnson

The war on drugs was a counter reaction to the Warren Court reforms. It was about restoring to police and prosecutors the flexibility and discretion they had previously exercised to maintain order in neighborhoods. Crime had spun out of control in the cities. Everybody has known this for ages.

The dirty secret of the modern war on drugs is that practically nobody is *really* in prison for drugs. Everybody doing time is there on plea deals for drug charges, but those charges aren't what's really going on. The cops and DAs know who these people are and know the property and violent crimes they are regularly committing. Drugs and weapons possession charges are used because they're super easy to prove, not because cops actually care about drugs.

Everybody in the neighborhood, including the cops, will know some guy is regularly breaking into cars and committing petty theft. Usually to feed a drug habit. Eventually after pissing off enough people he'll be targeted by the law. The cops find it a lot easier to achieve the ends via drug possession charges than staging some sting operation to catch him the act of smashing a car window.

The crack vs. powdered cocaine sentencing disparity comes up all the time as some sort of proof that the drug laws are racist and targeting blacks. People don't get that those laws were lobbied for and passed *by* blacks. It's a way to get people who are a dangerous pain in the **** off the streets. It's never really about the drugs.
I suppose we can argue that they actually care about locking up blacks:

DEA Agent: We Were Told Not to Enforce Drug Laws in Rich White Areas

The Drug War is the New Jim Crow

The fact that they won't harass people for weed in your nice neighbourhood means nothing.

milk_lover

And the "War on Terrorism" is a lie to kill our people and steal our natural resources and strategic lands.

Drareg

So much for justice then.
A group of people can just lie about somebody they don't like and claim they are breaking in everywhere when it wasn't them at all.

Who put the people into environments like this in the first place? Created their socio economic status?
That would be legislators/politicians who ignore constitutional rights ,many acts of legislation are corrupt and wrong. Financial institutions bought their legislation ,credit default swap anyone?
The class system breeds this behaviour,elites don't exist without it.
Engineered social condition.

Is it Ray Peat who speaks about the mentality of using the term ,"war on", it says everything.