The Varicocele: Elevated Serotonin And Infertility (1980)

M

metabolizm

In trying to get a better understanding of varicocele, I somehow missed this study from 1980 which specifically implicates elevated serotonin in both varicocele and impaired fertility (albeit this was observed in canines, not humans). I was surprised and pleased to find the following bold statement: "Serotonin is known to be toxic to testicular function." Why is nobody else saying this? Well, I suppose it is in line with the mainstream conception of serotonin as a "happy hormone". @ImprovingDaily mentioned that cyproheptadine was improving his varicocele symptoms, which makes sense. Has anyone else tried serotonin antagonists for their varicocele? I'm certainly going to give it a go now.

Xref

Well, many people find relief from horsechest nut extract, which is known to be anti-serotonin and anti-histamine. (You can find links in Wikipedia page of "aescin", the main ingredient)

Varicocele is also induced in rats for experiments by squeezing the left renal vein.
That is also present in humans by the nutcracker syndrome, which by the way, correlates negatively with BMI.
In several case reports, simply gaining some weight decreased compression of the nutcracker, allowing better blood flow of left gonadal vein and finally improvement of varicocele.

Furthermore, recent study that I've read has shown that varicocele is often present irrelevant of wether the left gonadal vein possess any valves.

:)::link:

OP
M

metabolizm

Well, many people find relief from horsechest nut extract, which is known to be anti-serotonin and anti-histamine. (You can find links in Wikipedia page of "aescin", the main ingredient)

Varicocele is also induced in rats for experiments by squeezing the left renal vein.
That is also present in humans by the nutcracker syndrome, which by the way, correlates negatively with BMI.
In several case reports, simply gaining some weight decreased compression of the nutcracker, allowing better blood flow of left gonadal vein and finally improvement of varicocele.

Furthermore, recent study that I've read has shown that varicocele is often present irrelevant of wether the left gonadal vein possess any valves.

Fascinating, thank you.

J

james2388

Varicoceles are most common in sedentary, overweight men. To think of it like any other venous problem, like varicose veins, the same is most likely present sedentary, and a weight issue. Excess adipose tissue in the groin area in the inguinal canal is the most likely cause. Serotonin excess and infertility synonymous with endocrinological dysfunction seen in obesity. Just start walking, moving, mobilizing lymph congestion.

OP
M

metabolizm

Varicoceles are most common in sedentary, overweight men. To think of it like any other venous problem, like varicose veins, the same is most likely present sedentary, and a weight issue. Excess adipose tissue in the groin area in the inguinal canal is the most likely cause. Serotonin excess and infertility synonymous with endocrinological dysfunction seen in obesity. Just start walking, moving, mobilizing lymph congestion.

You may be right, but I'm slim and active. (I have been somewhat less active since quarantine, and I have no doubt that has aggravated the condition).

J

james2388

Yes focus on pelvic stability, if you have tight adductors maybe work out your glutes and abductors more. I think variocele is the result of often a structural problem in the groin region, rather than a metabolic one. Veins encompassing the scrotum are very different than the arterio- venogenic mechanisms of erection. Maybe try a perineum massage or working the cremaster muscle lifting the testicles.

@metabolizm

Did you try horse chestnut or Butchers broom for varicocele???, or have you tried improving your gut health to reduce it?

OP
M

metabolizm

@metabolizm

Did you try horse chestnut or Butchers broom for varicocele???

I haven't tried either, but I've had almost no pain or discomfort since becoming physically active again. I'm pretty sure the sedentary lifestyle I had slipped into since March was an aggravating factor. I've had no need for cyproheptadine either, but I've got some on hand to try if things deteriorate.

Improving gut health and transit time is also absolutely essential, as you suggest. There's no doubt that chronic constipation is a causative factor.

I've also started taking a 4000IU vitamin D supplement recently, because I'm almost certainly deficient, but it's too early to tell whether that's helping.

@metabolizm Good to hear, Have you tried (gently) doing some basic sit-ups to see if that helps particularly with your gut motility??

I mean nothing more than say putting your feet under the sofa edge and doing a few, would be interesting.

BearWithMe

This post is awesome. I've had varicocele all my life, but it got significantly worse after I lost significant weight. Now it makes sense. Thank you @Xref!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals