The Tryptophan Problem

Jenn

Yves said:

One thing I have become acutely aware of is that whenever I eat protein I get a clogged nostril, in the past my nostrils were so chronically shut (but without mucous) I never really noticed it. On a low tryptophan diet it's pretty much gone... I notice things which boost the immune system (beta glucan, vit. d, iodine+selenium) reduce nasal inflammation significantly, so I think it's immune system related somehow. Anyone have any ideas? Chronic infection in the nasal area somehow?

Mucous is usually undigested protein. (Wheat gluten is a protein that can also cause mucous.) Gelatin is a much easier to breakdown type of protein than other forms. Potato protein is good too. Gelatin is also very liver friendly, so would help strengthen its infection fighting ability. A good day for me is being able to breath through both nostrils at the same time. :D

jyb

Yves said:
I've noticed reduced fatigue and a clearer head. The first 2 days I had a nasty headache that cleared up and hasn't returned. I suspect it may have been some sort of pathogen or bacterial die off. C. Pneumonia for example will stop replicating in a tryptophan deplete environment. The bacteria infects the CNS and brain and is thought to be behind brain and neurological problems (read second comment as well): http://www.cpnhelp.org/role_of_tryptophan_supple

The initial headache may have also been due to a reduction in serotonin. My understanding is that serotonin intially helps migraines because it vasocontricts, so that a sudden decrease in serotonin could actually trigger a migraine. In the longer run however, elevated levels of serotonin are associated with increased migraines.. It makes reading the literature on serotonin and migraines very confusing. It also doesn't help that serotonin research is often times dubious given the promotion of SSRI's.

No other protein source. Fruit, juice, white rice, and coconut oil form the bulk of calories. I take some mineral supplements and vitamin D/K2. I'm starting to add in antibiotics to go for the kill (I'm working on the CPN premise).

Are you still following a tryptophan deplete diet or were you intending to do it for a short time (after all its not as easy to get as much nutrients without all the milk and cheese)? What's your conclusion about it as of now?

OP
Y

Yves

jyb said:
Are you still following a tryptophan deplete diet or were you intending to do it for a short time (after all its not as easy to get as much nutrients without all the milk and cheese)? What's your conclusion about it as of now?

I still avoid dairy, so I only eat cheese now and then. I started eating more meat due to clocking in a low ferritin and muscle loss. When I started eating more meat I kept getting a stuffy nose, which antibiotics and enzymes are virtually eliminating. I think avoiding tryptophan gave me a boost temporarily, but I was never able to get adequate protein from collagen hydroslate due to the taste factor, so I started to experience problems do to inadequate protein (muscle loss, cold all the time, etc.)

natedawggh

Yves said:
H
One thing I have become acutely aware of is that whenever I eat protein I get a clogged nostril, in the past my nostrils were so chronically shut (but without mucous) I never really noticed it. On a low tryptophan diet it's pretty much gone... I notice things which boost the immune system (beta glucan, vit. d, iodine+selenium) reduce nasal inflammation significantly, so I think it's immune system related somehow. Anyone have any ideas? Chronic infection in the nasal area somehow?

I have a severe gluten allergy (though not celiac). I used to get serious nasal congestion, until I found out my allergy and quit wheat altogether. The slightest slippup would bring back the congestion, and sometimes would get it mildly even without any gluten. Then I tired bitter melon and it completely cleared up all of congestion symptoms (as well as stomach aches, angular chelitis, some light skin problems, and allergies). It's really bitter and at first I tired to do what people on the web say, cooking it and putting it in salads and what not. It's still bitter. I found it much easier to eat a small piece twice a day. It's extremely potent and you should see results within a few hours of eating some.

jyb

natedawggh said:
Then I tired bitter melon and it completely cleared up all of congestion symptoms (as well as stomach aches, angular chelitis, some light skin problems, and allergies). It's really bitter and at first I tired to do what people on the web say, cooking it and putting it in salads and what not. It's still bitter. I found it much easier to eat a small piece twice a day. It's extremely potent and you should see results within a few hours of eating some.

Never heard of that before, thanks for mentioning this.

I also had nasal congestion or runny nose for a very long time. I never suspected it was probably due to the massive amount of wheat and other "healthy" foods I was eating.

messtafarian

Hi:

Could you extrapolate a little more on what you are eating to be "tryptophan free"? I've tried to add this all up several ways and it almost seems impossible to have any kind of sustainable diet without it.

OP
Y

Yves

natedawggh said:
Yves said:
H

I have a severe gluten allergy (though not celiac). I used to get serious nasal congestion, until I found out my allergy and quit wheat altogether. The slightest slippup would bring back the congestion, and sometimes would get it mildly even without any gluten. Then I tired bitter melon and it completely cleared up all of congestion symptoms (as well as stomach aches, angular chelitis, some light skin problems, and allergies). It's really bitter and at first I tired to do what people on the web say, cooking it and putting it in salads and what not. It's still bitter. I found it much easier to eat a small piece twice a day. It's extremely potent and you should see results within a few hours of eating some.

I'm in the a similar boat with gluten, but still get the stuffy nose with gluten free food sometimes (even on peat only foods I will get it with red meat sometimes). Thanks for the bitter melon recommendation, how long did you take it for? As I understand by eating it in the salad you mean raw correct? It looks like it has some antimicrobial properties so it must have taken care of whatever bugs you had.

OP
Y

Yves

FYI - I've been taking bitter melon the past week and it seems to cut down on nasal inflammation. I couldn't find the fresh vegetable, but am taking capsule supplements (which are expired actually, so fresh might have an even better effect). It doesn't seem to do much with regard to bloating for me, but I imagine the antimicrobial properties are working

BobbyDukes

Think I tried this once, but was hard to keep up with. Perhaps a diet based around potatoes (if you tolerate them), plus gelatin, might be a good approach.

Parsifal

Mucous is usually undigested protein. (Wheat gluten is a protein that can also cause mucous.) Gelatin is a much easier to breakdown type of protein than other forms. Potato protein is good too. Gelatin is also very liver friendly, so would help strengthen its infection fighting ability. A good day for me is being able to breath through both nostrils at the same time. :D
Why can we get mucous when drinking coke or eating irritating food like spices?

FacelessMan

Simple solution. Just deplete tryptophan and serotonin in the brain by supplementing with BCAAS when you drink milk. Problem solved.

Paul85

What else lower serotonine ?!! I try vit b2 ( some one from this forum ) Tell is activated Mao enzyme and oxidase serotonine !!! But for me give me some hives and Chills cut my appetite & low energie ! I read b2 activated b6 ( i also have b6 5 x times more ) So Maybe this make șanse !

Paul85

I also today i start with 3 slice of bread & 50 gr of butter and my ear Temp rise from 35.6 to 37.1 and i was feel fatigue and not me ! After i Eat 100 gr of wite eggs with gelatin and vit b5 Everything fine !!!

Paul85

And the last one ;))in the past i Eat 100 gr of chiken heart ( Good for q10 ) energy ! But also i notice cut my appetite for 8-9 hours and a slow sensation of naseau ! After reasearch i found that have 500 mg oftryptophane in that 100 gr and 450 more B12 than normal recomandation !!!! So No more chiken heart ;)