The Truth On Turpentine

RisingSun

I’ve been researching extensively lately on Turpentine, and there is just as much « evidence » for it as against it.

Some say that it is godsend against parasites and bacteria, have great potential to boost the immune system.
Others that it is a harmful substance to the kidneys, lungs and organs in general.

@haidut as your scope of interest is pretty broad, have you come to a conclusion on turpentine?

Talking about 100% organic pure gum spirits of turpentine obviously, not what you would get at the paintshop

RobertJM

I've tried it and it started to feel toxic. But I'm sure I would be told that is a 'die off' side effect. Just the smell of it now repulses me. When I take it, it feels like it is burning everything on its way down. It sure felt like consuming an industrial chemical.

yerrag

Based on Dr. Jennifer Daniels' thoughts on it, I have no reason to think turpentine to be harmful when taken in recommended quantities. I'd like to try it, but I can't find it anymore in local hardware stores, so I'll have to order it from the US. If you've used Vicks Vaporub before, then you would have a pleasant familiarity with it, as it is a main ingredient in the product. It also belongs to the terpene family, the same family that the expensive Lingzhi mushroom belongs to. Looked at this way, it can be considered a poor man's Lingzhi mushroom, for its medicinal properties. Lingzhi mushrooms are expensive, and are sold to people with cancer.

Natural Solvent Medicine – Terpenes, DMSO, Water, Turpentine

Whichway?

I've tried it and it started to feel toxic. But I'm sure I would be told that is a 'die off' side effect. Just the smell of it now repulses me. When I take it, it feels like it is burning everything on its way down. It sure felt like consuming an industrial chemical.

Did you make sure you got some that was 100% organic pure gum spirits? Also it seems that Dr Daniels recommends that you have to be drinking a lot of water and using supplements to have 3 bowel movements a day, before adding the turpentine. This is so your body will move out the toxic die off products that the turpentine will produce. Otherwise you will become toxic from the die off. Maybe this is what happened to you? As for reacting to the smell that is common for anything that has made you sick in the past.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I’ve been researching extensively lately on Turpentine, and there is just as much « evidence » for it as against it.

Some say that it is godsend against parasites and bacteria, have great potential to boost the immune system.
Others that it is a harmful substance to the kidneys, lungs and organs in general.

@haidut as your scope of interest is pretty broad, have you come to a conclusion on turpentine?

Talking about 100% organic pure gum spirits of turpentine obviously, not what you would get at the paintshop

It can have some good anti-parasitic effects but is can also be very irritating to the intestine, and has been shown to be estrogenic in some bioassays. Flowers of sulfur can probably achieve the same results for parasites with no toxicity risk.

OP
R

RisingSun

Based on Dr. Jennifer Daniels' thoughts on it, I have no reason to think turpentine to be harmful when taken in recommended quantities. I'd like to try it, but I can't find it anymore in local hardware stores, so I'll have to order it from the US. If you've used Vicks Vaporub before, then you would have a pleasant familiarity with it, as it is a main ingredient in the product. It also belongs to the terpene family, the same family that the expensive Lingzhi mushroom belongs to. Looked at this way, it can be considered a poor man's Lingzhi mushroom, for its medicinal properties. Lingzhi mushrooms are expensive, and are sold to people with cancer.

Natural Solvent Medicine – Terpenes, DMSO, Water, Turpentine

Thanks Yerrag,

I’ve read Jennifer Daniel’s extensively before trying, but I’d like more personal experiences

yerrag

It can have some good anti-parasitic effects but is can also be very irritating to the intestine, and has been shown to be estrogenic in some bioassays. Flowers of sulfur can probably achieve the same results for parasites with no toxicity risk.

I appreciate your warnings on the estrogenic nature of some substances. But given that it's hard to quantify the estrogenic effects much less know at what dosage of a substance would be considered harmful, the fear of estrogen could easily overshadow the potential benefits in using a substance. Would it be safe then to supplement progesterone along with the substance, so that any estrogenic effects would be minimized?

I remember Ray Peat saying that the production of melatonin also increases estrogen, but he says that in a healthy individual, who has an ample supply of progesterone, melatonin production isn't a problem. When it comes to taking melatonin to help one sleep, the estrogenic effects would be a concern. Would taking progesterone with the melatonin erase that concern?

I also remember how when I used liposomal C, it made me very hungry at night that I couldn't sleep. I suspect it was because the lecithin contained plenty of PUFAs, and the free fatty acids kept blood sugar from being metabolized, and this led to an insulin reaction lowering my blood sugar. I stopped taking liposomal C the next day. But now I also wonder whether taking Vitamin E, niacinamide, and aspirin would have kept me on using liposomal C, sans the bad effects.

RobertJM

Did you make sure you got some that was 100% organic pure gum spirits? Also it seems that Dr Daniels recommends that you have to be drinking a lot of water and using supplements to have 3 bowel movements a day, before adding the turpentine. This is so your body will move out the toxic die off products that the turpentine will produce. Otherwise you will become toxic from the die off. Maybe this is what happened to you? As for reacting to the smell that is common for anything that has made you sick in the past.

Hey. Yes I researched thoroughly before hand. I wouldn’t consume this potentially very toxic chemical (if the more toxic ‘workshop’ chemical were purchased), without doing a lot of research before hand. I purchased 100% organic pure gum spirits. I listened to endless interviews with Dr Daniels and read a lot too.

I don’t believe that drinking a lot of water does produce lots of bowel movements. So I disagree with Dr Daniels there. Drinking a lot of water dilutes eloctrolytes, and this decreases metabolic rate and therefore results in less bowel movements in my experience. I have experienced two bowel movements per day (at my peak; and of most recent times where my metabolism seems to be fairly decent these days), so I would have to use additional aids to increase it to three bowel movements per day.

With the burning sensation I’m not so sure. I went through a ‘combatting parasites’ phase where I tried every anti-parasite compound possible (pretty much). I never got any burning sensation from anything else. Turpentine was the last thing that I tried and I felt the burning sensation from only this. I would even chose oil of oregano (an extremely fierce anti-fungal/viral/bacterial compound) over turpentine.

In terms of the smell sensation, yes you are probably right.

Maybe my source for turpentine just wasn’t all that great or truthful. I didn’t receive any chemical analysis. It was just his whole history of postings on his YouTube channel. His whole life work pretty much. Promoting the health benefits of turpentine. Speaking of how it changed his whole life. And he sold the ‘turp’ on the side which, he said, he had privilege to have access to. I guess when someone seems that genuine, it can be easy to be sucked in.

But then, maybe the chemical just wasn’t right for me.

I think I would add a tablespoon to heavily diluted drinks of orange juice. Maybe I should try much lower doses.

rei

Oregano oil is used a drop or three into a tablespoon of olive oil. It burns like hell if taken raw. I'm sure turpentine is no worse in same dilution.

Hey. Yes I researched thoroughly before hand. I wouldn’t consume this potentially very toxic chemical (if the more toxic ‘workshop’ chemical were purchased), without doing a lot of research before hand. I purchased 100% organic pure gum spirits. I listened to endless interviews with Dr Daniels and read a lot too.

I don’t believe that drinking a lot of water does produce lots of bowel movements. So I disagree with Dr Daniels there. Drinking a lot of water dilutes eloctrolytes, and this decreases metabolic rate and therefore results in less bowel movements in my experience. I have experienced two bowel movements per day (at my peak; and of most recent times where my metabolism seems to be fairly decent these days), so I would have to use additional aids to increase it to three bowel movements per day.

With the burning sensation I’m not so sure. I went through a ‘combatting parasites’ phase where I tried every anti-parasite compound possible (pretty much). I never got any burning sensation from anything else. Turpentine was the last thing that I tried and I felt the burning sensation from only this. I would even chose oil of oregano (an extremely fierce anti-fungal/viral/bacterial compound) over turpentine.

In terms of the smell sensation, yes you are probably right.

Maybe my source for turpentine just wasn’t all that great or truthful. I didn’t receive any chemical analysis. It was just his whole history of postings on his YouTube channel. His whole life work pretty much. Promoting the health benefits of turpentine. Speaking of how it changed his whole life. And he sold the ‘turp’ on the side which, he said, he had privilege to have access to. I guess when someone seems that genuine, it can be easy to be sucked in.

But then, maybe the chemical just wasn’t right for me.

I think I would add a tablespoon to heavily diluted drinks of orange juice. Maybe I should try much lower doses.

I think a tablespoon is far too much. I comfortably took a teaspoon every day for a couple months straight. It was okay. I like limonene better, which is also safer.

michael94

I think they way she described taking it and how it was taken as a folk remedy in the past when they had access to nothing else... was saturating a single sugar cube with the turpentine and if the sugar cube was oversaturated then the dose was too much. So that ends up being a couple drops of turpentine ( with some sugar ), not a tblespoon or cold medicine dose of turpentine.

I had some oregano infused olive oil b4 and I found that to be an ok way of taking a small amount of oregano.

Oregano oil is used a drop or three into a tablespoon of olive oil. It burns like hell if taken raw. I'm sure turpentine is no worse in same dilution.

I think a tablespoon is far too much. I comfortably took a teaspoon every day for a couple months straight. It was okay. I like limonene better, which is also safer.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I appreciate your warnings on the estrogenic nature of some substances. But given that it's hard to quantify the estrogenic effects much less know at what dosage of a substance would be considered harmful, the fear of estrogen could easily overshadow the potential benefits in using a substance. Would it be safe then to supplement progesterone along with the substance, so that any estrogenic effects would be minimized?

I remember Ray Peat saying that the production of melatonin also increases estrogen, but he says that in a healthy individual, who has an ample supply of progesterone, melatonin production isn't a problem. When it comes to taking melatonin to help one sleep, the estrogenic effects would be a concern. Would taking progesterone with the melatonin erase that concern?

I also remember how when I used liposomal C, it made me very hungry at night that I couldn't sleep. I suspect it was because the lecithin contained plenty of PUFAs, and the free fatty acids kept blood sugar from being metabolized, and this led to an insulin reaction lowering my blood sugar. I stopped taking liposomal C the next day. But now I also wonder whether taking Vitamin E, niacinamide, and aspirin would have kept me on using liposomal C, sans the bad effects.

If it helps then by all means use it. I just responded to a direct question about my opinion. It should not dissuade people to experiment. My risks may be another's solution :):

yerrag

If it helps then by all means use it. I just responded to a direct question about my opinion. It should not dissuade people to experiment. My risks may be another's solution :):
Blazing new frontiers through self=experimentation! :handok:

I'm going to try limonene.

Cool. Please report back on your results. I’m enjoying it. Aside from the other health benefits, it is a great anxiolytic. It may be the most helpful thing I have found for good digestion. I have read it also supposedly helps the liver to detox estrogen.

golder

Rough idea on flowers of sulphur dosage? Thanks.

You have a proof of turpentine toxicity?

I have no proof but the ld50 for turpentine mentioned on various msds say 5760 mg/kg oral for a rat. That is about 5 tablespoons in a human dose. Limonene ld50 for rats is between 3 to 5 grams/kg. Also turpentine is pretty dangerous if it gets to your lungs where as limonene is less so. Probably the biggest risk in oral turpentine is accidentally inhaling it. The doctor who made turpentine trendy again has also mentioned not feeling well on high doses.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Rough idea on flowers of sulphur dosage? Thanks.

Peat mentioned a pinch for 3-4 days or 1 teaspoon as a single dose treatment on a single day.