The Trend-hopper Diet

CDT

Its absolutely insane how gullible the masses are to their own follies! I am referring specifically to the advent and continuation of this *carnivore diet* craze, which is essentially a restricted Atkins. How do you all feel about that? Apparently another component of the ideology is to prove veganism wrong and to promote this fad diet with no corroborating research or fundamental support from any agency. Does anyone know if there is any ACTUAL research being done in the realm of the carnivore diet that may offer some SCIENTIFIC and controlled analysis of the protocol as opposed to anecdotes. I would imagine that people going from and average SAD diet to ANY sort of diet that promotes conscious eating would experience benefit, but at what point are these benefits yielded merely by placebo? Please share your thoughts below

Cirion

Dogma is dangerous. Every "fad" diet does have its pros and cons, but I no longer believe in any dogmatic diet (for the most part). There is only: the diet that works best for you and your current metabolism, nutritional deficits, and digestive capabilities, and which promotes the most increase in metabolism as measured by temps and pulses / CO2. I do believe you can come up with some rough guidelines, but what foods someone can tolerate is heavily dependent upon the health of their gut/digestion.

Neither veganism nor carnivore has it right, but they both get some things right. Carnivore can be good, if you use beef as one of the main protein sources as its low in fernstrom ratio and high in dopamergic aminos like tyrosine and phenanyaline, but the higher fat cuts can get you into trouble, most other proteins are problematic, and too much protein relative to carbs is problematic. Vegans are too low in protein, and many plant foods are high in pufa and also high fernstrom ratio. But, low protein and low fat can be therapeutic and this has been discussed on these forums. Eventually, however, they get protein deficiency. So I've been trying to figure out how to get the best of both worlds which is low fernstrom ratio, getting beneficial aminos, low-ish fat, not-too-much protein, low pufa etc... all of which are for the most part what Peat has already talked about in his articles.

TheSir

There seems to be some kind of escalation progress going on with diets, much like with everything else. As time goes on, more and more extreme diets become fads.

truegrit

Humans can't hold subtlety and nuance in their heads. Moderation doesn't attract devotees. People have polarizing, all-or-nothing personalities, and it's an area - diet - that's intensely personal (you spend money on it, prepare it, and deliberately ingest it) and fraught with emotion and belief systems. You can't drop someone with an addictive personality into a bar and say hey pal, make good decisions. Add to all of that the fact that people are getting sicker earlier and more often (see @haidut's recent post about the flagging health of Millenials) and it increases the desperation. You're basically seeing a populace bifurcate along "political" lines, but in this case they're [lifestyle] diets.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals