The treatment of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth with enteric-coated peppermint oil: a case report

cjm

So as it turns out Young Living charged me three times for my one order.

Over $120, for the single bottle that I had ordered over the phone and was very clear that I only wanted to purchase one bottle.

That sucks, I'm sorry that happened to you. Calling the company is the gold standard of avoiding miscommunication about an order. I would feel a little betrayed by this.

Young Living has an absolutely terrible track record and history which can easily be found.

I was reminded of this by my girlfriend recently after we had previously watched a documentary about this company and others like it.

What's the name of this documentary?

I ordered peppermint and clove and got it with no issues.
I also had success with young living last week.

Awesome, thanks, y'all. The pepp and clove are exactly what I want. I'll try again.

Sumbody

What's the name of this documentary?
I don't remember now, but a lot of the focus was more on the multilevel marketing aspect of some of these businesses. But also a dash of purported healing effects of various oils and those being injured by them. Stuff like that.

And as an update, the peppermint oil is working wonders to minimize my bloating symptoms!

I have been using the oil for about a week now. Things seem to keep getting better as well, which I had previously read about in studies while researching the use of peppermint oil.

I place about 8-10 drops in an enteric-coated capsule 15-30 min before eating foods. So far I have been doing this 3-4 times a day.

I plan to keep this up for about 4 weeks and then take a break for a week or so.

Very pleased with the results thus far. I hope this overtime will work well enough where it is no longer necessary to take the oil at all and use it sporadically for maintenance.

We shall see!

artist

One of the few instances I was able to find of someone curing their histamine intolerance was a guy who megadosed enteric coated peppermint (presumably a bacteria induced case of HIT). I wasn’t able to tolerate the treatment but I might try again with a different brand because I think I was reacting to the coating more than the mint itself.

fever257

Does anyone know the mechanism of action behind using peppermint oil?

I’ve no experience with this substance but as intrigued by this thread.

fever257

Does anyone know the mechanism of action behind using peppermint oil?

I’ve no experience with this substance but as intrigued by this thread.
Also, does the brand matter? This Young Living company sounds a little sus, and i just checked and I’ve got some untouched peppermint oil from a little over a year ago.

301CB487-52D1-4DCD-9818-2F6C4889B5AC.jpeg

Only ingredient is Mentha Piperita, exact same as Young Living.

akgrrrl

Yes "brand" matters. Do you want to ingest plants grown with pesticides? Do you want a bottled product which smells like what you think peppermint should be but was produced quickly at the wrong temp that destroyed the chemical constituents that offer the therapeutic values?

Sumbody

Also, does the brand matter? This Young Living company sounds a little sus, and i just checked and I’ve got some untouched peppermint oil from a little over a year ago.

View attachment 23496
Only ingredient is Mentha Piperita, exact same as Young Living.

I would give it a try. Personally, I was charged 3 times for one bottle from YL and never got my money back.

Also if you end up using 8-10 drops three times a day, you will go through the YL bottle in about 2 weeks. At $40 a bottle, it will get a bit pricey.

The oil acts as a strong antibacterial and antispasmodic within the GI.

To be honest for me this seems to work, but only while using the oil 15-30 min before meals. It decreases bloating in my case. But I don't think it's something you want to do for months and years on end.

I am sure YL oil is of very high quality, but it's ridiculous to think that they are the ONLY brand out there that produces a higher quality oil.

I would give it a shot and see how it works for you, maybe compare to YL and see what effects either produces for you.

Birdie

The OP cited a study using enteric coated peppermint oil. Here is the introduction:

"..... A number of controlled studies have shown that enteric-coated peppermint oil (ECPO) is of benefit in the treatment of IBS..."

I've always used the enteric coated after reading that the uncoated type will relax the esophageal sphincter which I don't want. Also, the enteric coated ones are supposed to travel to the small intestine I think.

Non-enteric coated peppermint oil itself isn't a part of this study. It would have different results than those shown in the study. I'm not sure what results you want but thought I'd point that out.

Birdie

Correction. I see it's a case report, not a study. Still, it looks hopeful. I think I'll try this for my husband's SIBO.

Sumbody

The OP cited a study using enteric coated peppermint oil. Here is the introduction:

"..... A number of controlled studies have shown that enteric-coated peppermint oil (ECPO) is of benefit in the treatment of IBS..."

I've always used the enteric coated after reading that the uncoated type will relax the esophageal sphincter which I don't want. Also, the enteric coated ones are supposed to travel to the small intestine I think.

Non-enteric coated peppermint oil itself isn't a part of this study. It would have different results than those shown in the study. I'm not sure what results you want but thought I'd point that out.
Yes! You MUST use enteric-coated capsules. Otherwise, it will be very unpleasant for you.

I pour the drops of oil into empty enteric-coated capsules, then ingest 15-30 min before a meal.

I am also experimenting with the use of biofilm disrupters while using the oil in an attempt to eliminate any stubborn bacteria within the small intestine.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Anyone know a good source of enteric coated capsules? I think the ones i have are not so good.

fever257

+1. I’ve concluded my source is good despite the YoungLiving company shill (lol), now I just need a good source of enteric coated capsules. I’d prefer to buy off Amazon to receive them faster.

fever257

F59079FD-767C-4EDC-AC3A-FC54FBD17B0E.png

Update: pulled the trigger bc i didn’t wanna wait.

The brand I got, though not made from gelatin, got good reviews and was confirmed to be hydrochloric acid-resistant by the customers. Just 2 ingredients - vegetable cellulose and water.

I’ll keep you guys updated with the experiment as I move forward with it. Thanks for everything in this thread!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals