The Travis Corner

papaya

is casein protein good or bad? i have a container of naked casein that i want to start making coffee shakes with. btw, to not get sores inside your mouth from pineapple rinse your mouth out with water for at least 30 secs after you eat it.

Travis

Not sure what to make of that, but I'll take a picture of my knife—and my stone—should anyone want to see them.
is casein protein good or bad? i have a container of naked casein that i want to start making coffee shakes with. btw, to not get sores inside your mouth from pineapple rinse your mouth out with water for at least 30 secs after you eat it.
Casein does have an opiate peptide buried within it, meaning that it can actually cause psychological changes when ingested. Whether or not this happens depends on a great many factors; things like stomach pH, intestinal permeability, and enzymes such as plasma dipeptidyl peptidase IV and trypsin could all play a role.

Last edited:

Travis

If you don’t over sharpen you can wipe the metal chips off with s towel. Problem solved.
I think most people would tend to do this if they sharpen their knife once in awhile; but chefs often go either from the stone, or from the honing steel, directly to the food. These people work frantically. I think you could expect more micron‐sized iron particles when eating out than eating at home.

I think most people would tend to do this if they sharpen their knife once in awhile; but chefs often go either from the stone, or from the honing steel, directly to the food. These people work frantically. I think you could expect more micron‐sized iron particles when eating out than eating at home.

I'm glad y'all pointed this out. I have usually wiped the knife after sharpening or steeling, and noticed the towel gets a kind of lead-pencil color...now I will be double diligent!

Travis

I'm glad y'all pointed this out. I have usually wiped the knife after sharpening or steeling, and noticed the towel gets a kind of lead-pencil color...now I will be double diligent!
Nice description; there is certainly no better phrase for it than 'lead pencil color.' I honestly haven't sharpened my knife in about a year, and really ought to. The single‐beveled one I can make super sharp, but I have a hard time making my double‐beveled ones quite as sharp. Sharpening double‐beveled knives takes more than twice the skill.

But all I use it for these days is hacking open pineapples: One cut! . . . and then use a spoon for the inside (a quick 'n dirty pineapple technique that requires a certain nickel‐free spoon, and will hardly work with any other.)

Obi-wan

Ray Peat had mentioned that linoleic acid becomes conjugated linoleic acid upon grilling, or course destroying its prostaglandin potential in the process.

Travis, can you tell us more about CLA's? Good or Bad?

Travis

Travis, can you tell us more about CLA's? Good or Bad?
The conjugated fatty acids have double bonds directly adjacent to eachother, separated by only one single bond. This makes it less prone to spontaneous oxidation since it doesn't have a diallylic hyrdrogen—the hydrogen most acidic and easiest to abstract. A hydrogen must first be removed from the lipid chain for peroxidation to occur, and the most acidic carbons would do this at lower energies. Oleic acid has only one double bond, and oxidation of this fatty acid is not thermodynamically spontaneous (having a postitive ΔG°). The bonds most susceptible to spontaneous oxidation are double bonds separated by a methylene bridge:

〜C–C–C=C–C–C=C–C–C〜 [hydrogens hot shown]

Hydrogens on the red carbon are most easily abstracted because is is flanked by two allyl carbons.

The conjugated configuration—depicted below—has extra stability because it is in resonance.

〜C–C–C=C–C=C–C–C〜 [hydrogens hot shown]

And besides this resistance to peroxidation, these lipids cannot form prostaglandins. This makes conjugated linoleic acid better than docosahexanoic and linoleic acids in yet another way, besides being more stable.

And the geometry is unique, the double bonds being so close. This makes them straighter than the most polyunsaturated fatty acids and thus would be expected to contribute more to membrane rigidity.

Fig-1-The-structure-of-cis-9-trans-11-conjugated-linoleic-acid-CLA.png

I think cooking at the right temperatures can convert linoleic acid to its conjugated isomer, so the small amounts of linoleic acid in beef could be reduced further yet. However, with cooking you also get the destruction of vitamins and coenzymes that might otherwise be useful.

Last edited:

Obi-wan

Thanks Travis,

I followed Weston Price for many years. One of their favorite lipid researchers was Mary Enig who I think was responsible for getting the government to ban Hydrogenated vegetable oils to a great degree. I recall a discussion regarding a Cis vs. a Trans molecular structure where a Trans structure was straight and a Cis was curved. The straight structure allowed a cell to be permeable thus causing disease. Also discussions on vegans not getting CLA's from meats and needing to supplement them. I also recall a debate with Weston Price and Ray Peat where Ray stated essential fatty acids were not essential which caused quit an uproar in the Weston Price community. Thoughts...

Travis

This is an arcane topic. You can certainly find articles on how different lipids change cell membrane fluidity, added in vitro, but many of them are unphysiological. I looked at one today that had used phospholipids having two stearic acid chains; such a thing is nearly unheard‐of in the body. A usual phosphipid has a saturated fatty acid in the sn‐1 position (i.e. myristate, palmitate, stearate) and an unsaturated lipid in the sn‐2 position (i.e. arachidonate, DHA, Mead acid).

I think most of the talk about lipids consists of either one industry trying to promote their product, or another industry trying to smear another. Ray Peat had explained the low growth rate observed in the so‐called 'essential fatty acid deficiency' was basically caused by a high metabolism—depleted the rat's B vitamins obtained from an unsuitable lab chow at a quicker rate. I think there's some truth to this because some prostaglandins activate PPARγ, which is involved in hibernation.* Fish‐eating islanders who are otherwise deficient in linoleic acid—perhaps eating coconuts, breadfruit, and tubers—would still create the 3‐series prostaglandins derived from EPA; these have roughly ¹⁄₄ the activity and should lead to less cancer, hair loss, and lowered metabolisms. But as far as I can tell, being 100% linoleic acid deficient should lead to zero prostaglandins. The eicosanoid made from Mead acid appears to be a simple peroxidated lipid, like a leukotriene, lacking the characteristic endoperoxide ring of the prostaglandins. But since prostaglandin receptors seem to operate using other lipids—at least the more important nuclear ones, the PPARs, do—perhaps the straight‐chain lipids could do everything? . . . it's not like they would have to compete with the high‐affinity prostaglandins in a prostaglandin‐free millieu.

I think the reason why hardly anyone has taken a very serious look at the old rat studies is that it is impossible to avoid linoleic acid. Even if it were 100% unnecessary, as Ray Peat maintains, it would be practically impossible to avoid it. But this does have some importance, as the concept itself allows food manufacturers to paste the word 'essential' on junk food while mocking people who know better with this EFA‐pseudoscience. And as mentioned, linoleic acid is pointless to advertise anyway because it is practically impossible to avoid. Even assuming that ~1% arachidonic acid in the cell membrane is necessary to maintain lipid hormone signalling essential for life, this would not mean that having ~20% arachidonic acid would be helpful. The word 'essential' provides leverage for certain food advertisers, gives the impression of 'health,' and can lead to old ladies smugly using tablespoons of canola oil to bake cakes with—patting themselves on the back because they are 'lowering cholesterol' in the process.

[*] 'The endogenous ligands that activate PPARs are poorly defined but are generally thought to be fatty acids, particularly unsaturated fatty acids and oxidized forms such as eicosanoids. These transcription factors are typically constitutively bound to their cognate response elements in the nucleus as heterodimers in combination with the retinoid X receptor (RXR). Ligand binding leads to removal of a corepressor (such as nuclear receptor corepressor) and subsequent binding to a coactivator (such as PPARγ-coactivator (PGC-1α)) and other auxiliary proteins that allow transcription of genes that contain a PPAR response element within their promoter. Functionally, these transcription factors allow the safe deposition and consumption of fatty acid stores while helping avoid the inflammatory risks associated with these processes. PPARs have also been linked to the integration of nutritional information and circadian rhythms.' ―Nelson

torpor.png

(The activation of PPARγ also transcribes uncoupling protein UCP1.)
'Although not exhaustively analysed, the PPARs are the most well studied and discussed nuclear receptors in the hibernation literature. This is not surprising, given the well documented fluctuations of PPAR ligands (fatty acids) in plasma and tissues of hibernators. Differential mRNA or protein expression of PPAR isoforms and PGC-1α have been reported in three hibernating species: bat, 13-lined ground squirrel, and jerboa. Interestingly, El Kebbaj and colleagues (2009) reported differential splicing of PPARα in pre-hibernating and hibernating jerboas as compared to non-hibernators resulting in variable activation of target genes. Multiple PPAR target genes are differentially expressed during the annual hibernation cycle. These include pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase 4, which regulates the shift from carbohydrates to fat as a fuel source during the hibernation season; hydroxymethylglutaryl coenzyme A synthase 2 (HMGCS2), the rate-limiting enzyme in ketone body synthesis; apolipoprotein A-I (ApoA-I), the major protein in high-density lipoprotein particles; and enzymes that control peroxisomal fatty acid oxidation, including acyl-CoA oxidase 1, carnitine octanyltransferase, and peroxisomal bifunctional enzyme.' ―Nelson

Nelson, Clark J. "A role for nuclear receptors in mammalian hibernation." The Journal of physiology (2009)

Last edited:

CLASH

@Travis
So it would seem in the context of avoiding disease, a diet that is devoid of immunogenic proteins, methionine-arginine-ornithine-polyamines, linoleic acid, iron and mushrooms would be ideal? What would this look like in practice?
Would it be better to consume methionine-arginine-ornithine-polyamines until fully grown and then once full body size is reached go onto a deficient diet?

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Travis, I was searching for your posts containing the term 'french' expecting burtlan to pop up but he didn't. What I did find instead is your fascination owaa French presses. Can you elaborate on why you enjoy them so much compared to other ways of preparing beverages? And what about disadvantages?

You asked about posting knife coffeeugh pictures and since all your posts have something to be learned, I'm intervideoested in those. The more you post, the more I learn about the correct way of living.

Obi-wan

We can't completely eliminate Linoleic acid but we can stay away from the biggest offenders:

Foods High In Linoleic Acid (Omega-6 Fatty Acid) List

Food with (18:2 omega-6) linoleic acid in the nutrition facts table: 165

- Nutrients per 100 g -

Food

linoleic acid

Grapeseed Öl

63.76 g

Sunflower Oil

59.46 g

Hemp Seed Oil

56 g

Corn Oil

53.23 g

Soybean Oil

50.42 g

Walnuts

43.33 g

Sesame Oil

40.73 g

Pine Nuts

39.75 g

Soy Lecithin Granules

36.99 g

Sunflower Seed Kernels

34.52 g

Black Walnuts

33.76 g

Peanut Oil

33.27 g

Rice Bran Oil

31.64 g

Sesame Butter (Tahini)

27.91 g

Hemp Seeds With Hull

27.36 g

Sesame Seeds

24.4 g

Pecans

24.33 g

Almond Oil

24.28 g

Brazilnuts

23.86 g

Margarine, salted

21.04 g

Pumpkin and Squash Seed Kernels

20.67 g

Pumpkin and Squash Seed Kernels, roasted

19.56 g

Canola Oil

18.64 g

Tempeh

18.1 g

Peanuts, roasted in oil + salted

16.72 g

Peanuts, roasted in oil

16.72 g

Peanuts

14.95 g

Flaxseed Oil, cold pressed

14.25 g

Pistachio Nuts

14.09 g

Almonds, blanched

13.48 g

Pistachio Nuts, roasted + salted

13.13 g

Pistachio Nuts, roasted

13.13 g

Almonds, roasted + salted

12.95 g

Safflower Oil

12.72 g

Almonds

12.32 g

Soybeans

10.99 g

Psyllium (Ispaghula)

10.01 g

Sunflower Seed Butter

9.72 g

Peanuts, roasted + salted

9.69 g

Peanuts, roasted

9.69 g

Palm Oil

9.08 g

Olive Oil

8.27 g

Cashew Nuts, roasted + salted

7.8 g

Cashew Nuts

7.48 g

Mustard Seed, ground

7.33 g

Hazelnuts (Filberts)

7.04 g

Rice Bran

6.78 g

Chia Seeds

5.84 g

Veggie Burger / Soyburger

5.2 g

Potato Patties

5.13 g

Smoked Tofu

4.9 g

Peanut Butter

4.4 g

Soybeans, cooked

4.19 g

Wheat Germs

3.78 g

Tofu

3.65 g

Wasabi

3.43 g

Acacia Seeds (Wattle Seeds)

3.27 g

Kaniwa (Canihua)

3.24 g

French Fried Potatoes, salted + oven-heated

3.2 g

Oatmeal (Oat Flakes)

2.99 g

Falafel

2.97 g

Oat Bran

2.88 g

Hass Avocado

2.84 g

Popcorn, with oil

2.73 g

Avocado

2.66 g

Cloves, ground

2.56 g

Millet Flour

2.55 g

Whole Wheat Naan Bread (Indian Bread)

2.5 g

Fuerte Avocado

2.43 g

Wheat Bran

2.12 g

Paratha

2.06 g

Meatless Sausage

1.95 g

Green Olives, pickled

1.94 g

Popcorn

1.94 g

Naan Bread (Indian Bread)

1.79 g

Coconut Oil

1.68 g

Soymilk

1.45 g

Whole-wheat Bread

1.44 g

Wheat Bread

1.35 g

Whole-grain Sorghum Flour

1.33 g

Sorry for the long list. Still sold on the Travisord Cocktail and Chocolate to prevent the dreaded Travis pathway: linoleic acid ⟶ arachidonic acid ⟶ prostaglandin E₂ ⟶ ornithine decarboxylase ⟶ polyamines ⟶ proliferation!

Obi-wan

Is Travis an Aristocrat?

Travis

@Travis
So it would seem in the context of avoiding disease, a diet that is devoid of immunogenic proteins, methionine-arginine-ornithine-polyamines, linoleic acid, iron and mushrooms would be ideal? What would this look like in practice?
Would it be better to consume methionine-arginine-ornithine-polyamines until fully grown and then once full body size is reached go onto a deficient diet?
I think the immunogenic proteins are the biggest offenders, because this can do three five things:

(1) Immunogenic proteins can increase histamine in the brain leading a schizophrenic phenotype.
(2) Immunogenic proteins can activate tryptophan dioxygenase through γ-interferon, leading to greatly lowered tryptophan and serotonin; this leads to muscle wasting and depression.
(3) Autoantibodies can be produced: these can go on and bind to certain bodily proteins through molecular similarity. In myasthenia gravis, for instance, antibodies are created which bond to the human acetylcholoine receptor; this creates poor nerve conduction, distorts tissue‐to‐tissue communication, causes droopy eyelids, and even stupor. Even in the absence of full‐blown myasthenia gravis, you might expect certain people to have acetylcholine antibodies to a small degree; that is to say, there could be 'a spectrum of mysasthenia gravis.' If this doesn't make you afraid of immunogenic proteins, than perhaps celiac disease will.. .
(4) Wheat is so terrible that it actually has a disease named after it: celiac disease. Everyone knows about this, and it involves immunogenic self‐destruction of enteral crypts through ill‐defined cytokine and prostaglandin mechanisms (but could it be autoantibodies?).
(5) Cytokines are released on the ingestion of immunogenic proteins; this leads to downstream production of prostaglandins as these cytokines induce the expression of phospholipase A₂ and cyclooxygenase—the two enzymes most involved in the process. These same prostaglandins can then go on to pathologically stimulate growth (prostaglandin E₂) or cause hair loss (prostaglandin D₂).

I think if we inhibit linoleic acid we have less to worry about ornithine. Polyamines are necessary for growth, physically interact with DNA, stabilize microtubules, and yet cancer cells are often found with elevated levels. So I think as long as people understand them there is little worry. Beef and goat cheese seem like decent foods, and people can always cut back and shift to kale/coconut if they feel the need to reduce growth. Methionine can also become homocysteine when demethylated, so this needs to watched doubly. The vitamins folate, cobalamin, and pyroxidal are all involved in keeping homocysteine methylated although things like choline, betaine, and creatine also seem to play a big role.

Food opiates appear capable of slowing nerve conduction and affect brain dopamine balance. I know dopamine is generally thought of as a good thing, as it probably should be, but I think it matters exactly where the dopamine is released. Dopamine in certain brain areas will effect the body differently than dopamine in other places. The μ‐opiate receptors are distributed differently than the δ‐opiate receptors (shown below):

mu receptor.png click to embiggen: Autoradiography of brain opiate receptors.

Luckily, we only have four foods to worry about. Only A1 cow's milk and soy has been shown to release μ‐opiate peptides, and only wheat and spinach have δ‐exorphins. I think most people would avoid wheat and soy anyway since they are immunogenic, but dairy does have some things going for it. For those people, I would say that goat and sheep cheese certainly have less opiate potential.

Opiates released from wheat and A1 casein have been shown to decrease intestinal transit time.

So I think it's good to avoid linoleic acid, immunogenic proteins, and μ‐opiate peptides; this will help keep the mind balanced. And keeping an eye on blood tryptophan helps to keep serotonin in range.
Travis, I was searching for your posts containing the term 'french' expecting burtlan to pop up but he didn't. What I did find instead is your fascination owaa French presses. Can you elaborate on why you enjoy them so much compared to other ways of preparing beverages? And what about disadvantages?
The French press is versatile. I plan on demonstrating this later by using it to make some tea that I got for by birthday in the mail (I don't usually buy tea, but plan on reading about threanine + histamine soon). The French press is also quick and the resultant coffee is unparalleled. I used to own a lever‐operated espresso machine, a drip machine, and a pressure‐driven espresso machine so I've had coffee in many ways. I think the aeropress would be a neat thing to buy; I have had coffee from an aeropress but I have never owned one.

Also, you can use the French press in the summer to make cold‐brewed coffee—just add water an leave it overnight in the fridge!

We can't completely eliminate Linoleic acid but we can stay away from the biggest offenders:

Foods High In Linoleic Acid (Omega-6 Fatty Acid) List

Food with (18:2 omega-6) linoleic acid in the nutrition facts table: 165

- Nutrients per 100 g -

Food

linoleic acid

Grapeseed Öl

63.76 g

Sunflower Oil

59.46 g

Hemp Seed Oil

56 g

Corn Oil

53.23 g

Soybean Oil

50.42 g

Walnuts

43.33 g

Sesame Oil

40.73 g

Pine Nuts

39.75 g

Soy Lecithin Granules

36.99 g

Sunflower Seed Kernels

34.52 g

Black Walnuts

33.76 g

Peanut Oil

33.27 g

Rice Bran Oil

31.64 g

Sesame Butter (Tahini)

27.91 g

Hemp Seeds With Hull

27.36 g

Sesame Seeds

24.4 g

Pecans

24.33 g

Almond Oil

24.28 g

Brazilnuts

23.86 g

Margarine, salted

21.04 g

Pumpkin and Squash Seed Kernels

20.67 g

Pumpkin and Squash Seed Kernels, roasted

19.56 g

Canola Oil

18.64 g

Tempeh

18.1 g

Peanuts, roasted in oil + salted

16.72 g

Peanuts, roasted in oil

16.72 g

Peanuts

14.95 g

Flaxseed Oil, cold pressed

14.25 g

Pistachio Nuts

14.09 g

Almonds, blanched

13.48 g

Pistachio Nuts, roasted + salted

13.13 g

Pistachio Nuts, roasted

13.13 g

Almonds, roasted + salted

12.95 g

Safflower Oil

12.72 g

Almonds

12.32 g

Soybeans

10.99 g

Psyllium (Ispaghula)

10.01 g

Sunflower Seed Butter

9.72 g

Peanuts, roasted + salted

9.69 g

Peanuts, roasted

9.69 g

Palm Oil

9.08 g

Olive Oil

8.27 g

Cashew Nuts, roasted + salted

7.8 g

Cashew Nuts

7.48 g

Mustard Seed, ground

7.33 g

Hazelnuts (Filberts)

7.04 g

Rice Bran

6.78 g

Chia Seeds

5.84 g

Veggie Burger / Soyburger

5.2 g

Potato Patties

5.13 g

Smoked Tofu

4.9 g

Peanut Butter

4.4 g

Soybeans, cooked

4.19 g

Wheat Germs

3.78 g

Tofu

3.65 g

Wasabi

3.43 g

Acacia Seeds (Wattle Seeds)

3.27 g

Kaniwa (Canihua)

3.24 g

French Fried Potatoes, salted + oven-heated

3.2 g

Oatmeal (Oat Flakes)

2.99 g

Falafel

2.97 g

Oat Bran

2.88 g

Hass Avocado

2.84 g

Popcorn, with oil

2.73 g

Avocado

2.66 g

Cloves, ground

2.56 g

Millet Flour

2.55 g

Whole Wheat Naan Bread (Indian Bread)

2.5 g

Fuerte Avocado

2.43 g

Wheat Bran

2.12 g

Paratha

2.06 g

Meatless Sausage

1.95 g

Green Olives, pickled

1.94 g

Popcorn

1.94 g

Naan Bread (Indian Bread)

1.79 g

Coconut Oil

1.68 g

Soymilk

1.45 g

Whole-wheat Bread

1.44 g

Wheat Bread

1.35 g

Whole-grain Sorghum Flour

1.33 g

Sorry for the long list. Still sold on the Travisord Cocktail and Chocolate to prevent the dreaded Travis pathway: linoleic acid ⟶ arachidonic acid ⟶ prostaglandin E₂ ⟶ ornithine decarboxylase ⟶ polyamines ⟶ proliferation!
This is quite the list, and making me feel bad about eating so many almonds in the past. But I was glad to see the avocado so low on the list, as I've eaten quite a few of those. Do you think these are mostly oleic acid? Having such a high amount of total fat and low linoleic you'd almost have to expect.. .

avocado.png

Okay. So avocados are about 20% fat, and about 12% of this is linoleic acid. This gives a value around (¹⁄₅) × (¹⁄₈) = (¹⁄₄₀), or one‐fortieth of total mass is linoleic acid (or 2.5‧g per 100‧g.) This is why is was so low on the list, but everything on that list can probably be considered a bit 'high.' I didn't see chocolate, cheese, or beef on the list—probably sublist foods, those (not even having enough linoleic acid to bother notifying people of.)

Last edited:

Travis

But actually, that list has an anti‐vegan bias. Certainly chicken, pork, and eggs would appear on that list if they had bothered to include them.

Obi-wan

Hi Travis,

I believe it was on a vegan site. Let me know if you find the Linoleic content of the meats and eggs

Travis

Hi Travis,

I believe it was on a vegan site. Let me know if you find the Linoleic content of the meats and eggs
Lol! They probably think that linoleic acid 'is a good thing.'

Beef and cheese are really low, but chicken and pork can get enriched with linoleic acid from their food.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals