The Thyroid: McGavack

Wilfrid

Hi everyone,

I received this book few weeks ago.
I think that the authors had a great influence on RP's views on thyroid.
In fact, the info on diet (milk,eggs,fruits,fruits juice,meat,liver ect....), on vitamin A beeing anti-thyroid, PABA, oestrogen, the importance of B1,B6,B3,B5 ect....are almost identicals to what RP usually says to people.
I knew that this is the book that Ray often recommends reading for people and, in fact, it's really like the "Peat's method explained for dummies" (like me).
The explanation are all crystal clear but the authors seemed to be very reluctant transfering the experimentation made on rodents to humans ( especially regarding goitrogenic substances and their effects on the thyroid).
Does anyone here also read the book and found it usefull?

narouz

Thomas H. McGavack's 1951 book, The Thyroid, was representative of the earlier approach to the study of thyroid physiology. Familiarity with the different effects of abnormal thyroid function under different conditions, at different ages, and the effects of gender, were standard parts of medical education that had disappeared by the end of the century. Arthritis, irregularities of growth, wasting, obesity, a variety of abnormalities of the hair and skin, carotenemia, amenorrhea, tendency to miscarry, infertility in males and females, insomnia or somnolence, emphysema, various heart diseases, psychosis, dementia, poor memory, anxiety, cold extremities, anemia, and many other problems were known reasons to suspect hypothyroidism. If the physician didn't have a device for measuring oxygen consumption, estimated calorie intake could provide supporting evidence. The Achilles' tendon reflex was another simple objective measurement with a very strong correlation to the basal metabolic rate. Skin electrical resistance, or whole body impedance wasn't widely accepted, though it had considerable scientific validity.
--Peat, "Thyroid: Therapies, Confusion, and Fraud"

narouz

The Thyroid [Paperback]
Thomas Hodge McGavack (Author), James M. Winfield (Contributor), Walter L. Mersheimer (Contributor)
Apparently reprinted as paperback in 2010.

Originally published 1951 by
C.V. Mosby Company,
646 pages

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

hildegarde66

Has anyone got the book with page 412? I have received it from Amazon.com and page 412 is missing. Received two other copies of the book and page 412 is still missing! So now I have 3 books and still no page 412. If anyone has it could the scan it and send it by e-mail (I would provide my e-mail address through PM)
Thanks!

4peatssake

hildegarde66 said:
Has anyone got the book with page 412? I have received it from Amazon.com and page 412 is missing. Received two other copies of the book and page 412 is still missing! So now I have 3 books and still no page 412. If anyone has it could the scan it and send it by e-mail (I would provide my e-mail address through PM)
Thanks!
How bizarre. Now I want to know what's on that page too. :ninja

hildegarde66 said:
Thanks!

:shock:

RPDiciple

hard to read. Does he say anything about how he approaches therapy for hypothyroid. How to dose t3,t4 etc etc?