The Sun's Color Temperature Throughout The Day

J

j.

I found an interesting article about how the color temperature of the sun changes throughout the day. It's about how it relates to photography, but some parts might be interesting to us as well.

Before sunrise: 10,000 degrees K

Before sunrise the only illumination comes indirectly from a blue sky. This produces a characteristic strong steel blue color.

Dawn: 2,000-2,500 degrees K

The lighting will change to a very warm red color just as the sun comes up. Look for the first appearance of shadows.

Early morning: 3,000-4,000 degrees K

The color temperature will become more neutral as the sun continues to rise through the morning.

Midday: 5,500 degrees K

Overhead sun at noon produces neutral colors, though this may not be best pictorially.

Read the rest.

biggirlkisss

THE SUn's very high lumen rate makes it much better then what most people produce at him but the uvb and uva make it have less benefits. Blocking out uvb and uva is much more important then blocking out blue.

J

j.

biggirlkiss said:
Blocking out uvb and uva is much more important then blocking out blue.

But you can block the blue too, right? So one doesn't really need to choose.

jaa

I think the 2 coincide. UV rays increase in intensity as the sun gets higher in the sky, and the more atmospheric particles blue light comes in contact with the more it scatters (which is why the sun looks red at dusk and dawn and white at noon and why the sky is blue) - so I'm pretty sure UV light acts the same as blue light in this regard. Even if it doesn't, both have highest concentrations around midday. I think I read something about Peat saying to get outdoor light before 11am and after 3pm which seems like sound advice. I know I usually feel more drained when I get midday sun and more energized when I get sun away from midday.

J

j.

The argument Peat give for avoiding sunbathing at noon was that it causes PUFA release from the tissues. So if one avoided PUFA for a while, maybe it's not that bad. I prefer to go at noon, more vitamin D is generated that way.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
skuabird Sudden Sun Intolerance and Skin Care Advice Ask For Help or Advice 28
J Why is my facial skin so sensitive to the sun all of a sudden? (not by body though) Skin 0
Q How to treat (sun) burns? Skin 17
Mr Joe Skin Itching (Stress, Heat, Sun) Skin 5
thingsvarious I Tried Out Every Diet Under The Sun. Here I Share What I Learned Diet 58
J Sunscreens: The Dark Side Of Avoiding The Sun Articles & Scientific Studies 0
D Sun Sensitivity Issue Related To Reactivated Epstein-Barr Virus. Best Supplements? Vitamin D? Ask For Help or Advice 4
C How Much Beef Liver To Eat Living In A Place With Lots Of Sun? Ask For Help or Advice 0
J Itching From The Sun Ask For Help or Advice 0
ScurveDream Water Consumption And Sun Exposure Questions Ask For Help or Advice 2
T High SHBG & Low Low Low Vitamin D Despite Decent Sun Exposure - Why? Blood Work, Labs 2
haidut The Sun May Be A Significant Source Of Gamma-ray Radiation Scientific Studies 17
I Vitamin D Defficiency And No Possibility To Lay In The Sun. What Can I Do? Health 14
M Lighter Colour Eyebrows After Sun Exposure Ask For Help or Advice 3
J Sun Burns Skin 8
M Sun And Progesterone Metabolism 0
T Fish “Umbrella” Protects Stem Cells From Sun Scientific Studies 0
A Sun/Tanning Beds And Premature Ageing? Ask For Help or Advice 8
A Red Light From Sun Ask For Help or Advice 12
michael94 Recourse To Sun Intolerance Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs 0
KnowledgeSeeker Sun Shoots My Libido Up Sexuality 39
T Can Vitamin E Go Rancid And Lose Its Potency After Hot Sun Temperatures Exposure? Ask For Help or Advice 2
D How To Prepare Your Skin For Sun Exposure? Skin 33
biggirlkisss Reproduce The Sun With 130volt Incandence Light Bulbs Ask For Help or Advice 0
M Always Clouded, Alternative To Sun? Light 12
I Ideal Time For Sun Exposure Ask For Help or Advice 8
L Headaches For Entire Day After Any Sun Exposure Eyes, Ears, Nose and Headaches/Migraines 7
haidut Sun Avoidance Decreases Lifespan Scientific Studies 44
I Sun Tanning Light 6
dd99 Polymorphic light eruption - sun allergy Ask For Help or Advice 2
johnwester130 does glycine line up planetarily with the sun Breaking News 13
F Why Is There So Much Skin Cancer? Should Sun Be Avoided? Light 30
J Sun Exposure At The "Safe Hours" Is Worse Light 18
F Been to hell and back but the sun is shining thanks to Peat! Meet & Greet 10
charlie "The avoidance of sun is very carcinogenic." Ray Peat Quotes 0
N Sun, Tanning, Vitamin D: I Wonder What Dr. Peat Thinks Light 34
biggirlkisss 130 volt incandescent actual color temperature. Ask For Help or Advice 1
S Color Blindness Cured With Beef Liver? Organ Meat 11
A 'Drunk Tank Pink' - Color's effect on the endocrine system Thyroid and Hormones 2
F Skin Not Recovering Color Skin 0
J Is Caramel Color In Coke Anything To Worry About? Soda (Mexican Coke, Pepsi, etc.) 1
I Hair Color Change Hair & Nails 6
nigma Thyroid Hormone Can Alter Color Vision In Zebrafish, Potentially In Humans Scientific Studies 0
iPeat Color Difference Methylene Blue 1
Pulstar Current Forum Frame Size And Color At 100% Zoom Level Suggestions, Complaints, Board Glitches 3
R Did The Color Of Your Stool Change? Digestion, Gut Flora 8
Integra Puffy No More: How I Fixed Bloating, Healed Veins, Restored The Color Of [one] Hair & Reduced Cramps Testimonials 21
haidut Thyroid Status Affects Color Vision Scientific Studies 4
haidut Estrogen Darkens Skin Color, Progesterone Lightens It Scientific Studies 44
Amazigh Eye Color Change Health 12