The Spiritual And Psychological Value Of Frequent Confession

ReSTART

The principal source of conflict in the human spirit is the sense of guilt. Psychologists tell us, it is the mysterious feeling of guilt which lies at the root of most people’s disquiet of mind and disturbance of will. On both levels, the sacrament of Confession is the Lord’s great gift to His followers.

Peace of mind is the experience of knowing the truth. We all know that we are sinners. We also know that, as sinners, we have offended God and become estranged from His love in the measure of our sins. How we need the assurance, based on faith, that this offended God is still pleased with us. When Christ tells us that there is greater joy in heaven over one sinner doing penance than over ninety-nine who are just, He is speaking of us who have deserved His rejection. The more often we receive His sacrament of mercy, the more deeply we are at peace.

Peace of heart is the experience of doing the will of God. There is no peace in doing what we want. I know whereof I speak when I say that, doing one’s own will is hell on earth. God wants us to enjoy peace of heart. That is why He instituted the sacrament of Confession. The more frequently we confess our failings, no matter how minor they may seem to be, the more deeply peaceful we shall be. Why? Because if there is one thing that God wants us to admit, and keep admitting, it is that we are sinners who trust in His loving mercy.

Fr. Hardon Archives - The Spiritual and Psychological Value of Frequent Confession

Luann

Love this.
I think, as it's been said in Christian texts before, that a large part of motivation to do good things or help out, comes from looking up to a moral, loving, just God. Sort of a straight line held up to to our errors.

"The people who walk in darkness will see a great light."

Samya

It can be nice to get things off your chest, a load shared is a load halved.

I'm not much of a talker myself but a good listener. I'll often be an ear for drunk friends to unload their thoughts on and they usually say they feel great after, without me even really giving any input - just listening.

D

danishispsychic

thats the great thing about not believing in " god " - no shame, no confession , no nothing. doing the right thing all-day-erry-day as best as possible.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals