The spike protein of SARS-CoV-2 variant A.30 is heavily mutated and evades vaccine

Mito

“In summary, A.30 exhibits a cell line preference not observed for other viral variants and efficiently evades neutralization by antibodies elicited by ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 or BNT162b2 vaccination. SARS-CoV-2 entry into cell lines depends on S protein activation by the cellular proteases cathepsin L or TMPRSS2 [8], and activation by the latter is thought to support viral spread in the lung. Therefore, it is noteworthy that enhanced A.30 entry was observed for cell lines with cathepsin L (Vero, 293 T, Huh-7, A549 cells)—but not TMPRSS2 (Calu-3, Caco-2)-dependent entry [8]. Thus, one could speculate that A.30 might use cathepsin L with increased efficiency and slight (but not statistically significant) resistance of A.30 against the cathepsin L inhibitor MDL 28170 supports this possibility (Supplemental information, Fig. S1c). Notably, robust entry into cell lines was combined with high resistance against antibodies induced upon ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 or BNT162b2 vaccination. Neutralization resistance exceeded that of the Beta (B.1.351) variant, which is markedly neutralization resistant in cell culture and, in comparison with the Alpha (B.1.1.7) variant, is less well inhibited by the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine [9]. Nevertheless, heterologous ChAdOx1 nCoV-19/BNT162b2 vaccination, which was previously shown to augment neutralizing antibody responses against VOCs compared to corresponding homologous vaccinations [7, 10], might offer robust protection against the A.30 variant. Collectively, our results suggest that the SARS-CoV-2 variant A.30 can evade control by vaccine-induced antibodies and might show an increased capacity to enter cells in a cathepsin L-dependent manner, which might particularly aid in the extrapulmonary spread. As a consequence, the potential spread of the A.30 variant warrants close monitoring and rapid installment of countermeasures.”

J.R.K

If I am understanding this correctly @Mito, the spike protein evades, or has mutated to slip past the antibodies produced through gene therapy. But they may also aid in the virus’ entry into the cell.
I do not feel confident enough in my knowledge on this topic but this seems to indicate antibody dependent enhancement. I presume A 30 refers to the latest mutation of the virus.
Do they give any indication or suggestions of what countermeasures would be best applicable for this scenario?
At minimum vitamin C,D, zinc, maybe Ivermectin copying the India, Mexico, and El Salvador treatment model perhaps? Just my initial thoughts.

Ritchie

Is the "A.30" variant the new variant after Delta? Buckle in for 2022 I guess. Of course there is a supported theory by some experts in scientific dissent that the mass vaccinations are actually encouraging the mutations into variants. All while rendering those vaccinated less able to fight off the new variants.

OP
Mito

Mito

Is the "A.30" variant the new variant after Delta? Buckle in for 2022 I guess. Of course there is a supported theory by some experts in scientific dissent that the mass vaccinations are actually encouraging the mutations into variants. All while rendering those vaccinated less able to fight off the new variants.
It‘s only been found in two countries so far.