The Spanish Flu's true culprit - it was aspirin all along!

Nicky

More died from the flu than bullets. the flu vaccine came out of Fort Riley vaccinated the soldiers then shipped them off to Europe it was called the Spanish flu since the story was printed in a Spanish newspaper did not originate in Spain

J

jb116

More died from the flu than bullets. the flu vaccine came out of Fort Riley vaccinated the soldiers then shipped them off to Europe it was called the Spanish flu since the story was printed in a Spanish newspaper did not originate in Spain
That's right. Originated out of Kansas.

Also to the OP. One should see that premise of aspirin "being the culprit" as silly since the tense should be considered. Some people were already sick and dying. Aspirin was a treatment thereafter. Much akin to forced high pressure oxygen as the main culprit that killed quite a few people in 2020, extremely high dose aspirin was most likely harmful too. Doesn't mean aspirin was a culprit. It means the misuse of aspirin may have been a contributing factor as detriment much like the O2.

Perry Staltic

Aspirin poisoning is the most likely explanation. New wonder drug, just off-patent, distributed worldwide, no dosage instructions. Tuberculosis, viral and bacterial pneumonias also played a role, but aspirin poisoning accounts for the weird disease symptoms.

Perry Staltic

Just look at the irrational way people are reacting today towards covid with masks, anti-social distancing and vaccines, and imagine what it was like then with Spanish flu and the new wonder drug aspirin. Gulp, gulp, gulp, ah I feel better, gimme more, oops I'm dead.

Doctors: "Look how deadly this flu is! We gave him all of this wonder drug and he still died!" derp...

Last edited:

Nicky

Yep kinda like the vaccine, look this person was vaccinated but, but, now dead.
What me worry?

OP
J

Jem Oz

That's right. Originated out of Kansas.

Also to the OP. One should see that premise of aspirin "being the culprit" as silly since the tense should be considered. Some people were already sick and dying. Aspirin was a treatment thereafter. Much akin to forced high pressure oxygen as the main culprit that killed quite a few people in 2020, extremely high dose aspirin was most likely harmful too. Doesn't mean aspirin was a culprit. It means the misuse of aspirin may have been a contributing factor as detriment much like the O2.
My phrasing was extremely tongue in cheek ;)

I'm.No.One

My great grandma (maternal) was pregnant with my grandfather when the Spanish flu swept through the extremely remote logging encampment on a reservation.

The area took massive losses, entire families.

The cemeteries are heartbreaking to walk through.

I'd be surprised if they had access to aspirin considering how remote/poor beyond our comprehension but who knows!

What I do know is that me/my sister/mom/my kids have never once had influenza even with ample exposure. It's crazy.

I kinda wonder if because my great grandmother survived it while pregnant with my grandfather he built up a genetic immunity that is passing down?

Anyhow, it's always been something I find interesting.

Perry Staltic

My great grandma (maternal) was pregnant with my grandfather when the Spanish flu swept through the extremely remote logging encampment on a reservation.

The area took massive losses, entire families.

The cemeteries are heartbreaking to walk through.

I'd be surprised if they had access to aspirin considering how remote/poor beyond our comprehension but who knows!

What I do know is that me/my sister/mom/my kids have never once had influenza even with ample exposure. It's crazy.

I kinda wonder if because my great grandmother survived it while pregnant with my grandfather he built up a genetic immunity that is passing down?

Anyhow, it's always been something I find interesting.

Have you by chance noticed while walking through the cemeteries the ages of those who died of the flu?

I'm.No.One

Have you by chance noticed while walking through the cemeteries the ages of those who died of the flu?
There's not an age that wasn't touched that I've noticed. Lots of kids/infants & parents/elderly.

I will say there seems to be more children than adults, however that could be due to families/communities deciding just to mark children's graves as many are mass graves with kinda just memorial markers.

Rarely is the person directly under it unless you're in one of the more affluent family plots further down the mountain.

There is only one area that wasn't touched here & it was another logging community further up, they dropped trees across the rough roads & we're shooting people from a distance that got close.

That's the local legend anyhow, supposedly not a single person fell ill there.

Perry Staltic

There's not an age that wasn't touched that I've noticed. Lots of kids/infants & parents/elderly.

I will say there seems to be more children than adults, however that could be due to families/communities deciding just to mark children's graves as many are mass graves with kinda just memorial markers.

Rarely is the person directly under it unless you're in one of the more affluent family plots further down the mountain.

There is only one area that wasn't touched here & it was another logging community further up, they dropped trees across the rough roads & we're shooting people from a distance that got close.

That's the local legend anyhow, supposedly not a single person fell ill there.

The reason I asked is because a brief search of flu + Pacific northwest Indian reservations pulls up a number of articles that talk about boarding schools, eg:

I'm.No.One

The reason I asked is because a brief search of flu + Pacific northwest Indian reservations pulls up a number of articles that talk about boarding schools, eg:

Very neat resource, thanks for that.

joaquin

Where can we find more info on the vaccination rates for the 1918 event?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals