The smell of lamb kidney

AndrogenicJB

The smell of lamb kidney is utterly repulsive, is it supposed to smell this way, how can i rid it of this smell. If anyone else eats kidney, what is the best way to remove the smell, cook it and prepare it properly, cook it so nutrients aren't damaged and also is it important to remove ALL of the white fat inside? What would happen if you didn't remove all the fat?

Nomane Euger

The smell of lamb kidney is utterly repulsive, is it supposed to smell this way, how can i rid it of this smell. If anyone else eats kidney, what is the best way to remove the smell, cook it and prepare it properly, cook it so nutrients aren't damaged and also is it important to remove ALL of the white fat inside? What would happen if you didn't remove all the fat?
Hi and,i tryed grass fed grass finished veal/beef/lamb kidneys,when the kidneys smell utterly repulsive like beef kidneys,and that i cooked it,tasted it,and didnt enjoy it and still swallowed it,i ended up feeling like ***t.for fresh lamb kidneys,there can a mild/small part of the odor that you do not like,but cook it on his own with out seasoning,taste it with out expectation,if it taste disgusting,dont eat it and dont try to make it pass with seasoning youll poison yourself with something your taste is telling you thats its bad,if it taste overall good with a very mild part of the flavor that you do not specifically enjoy,eat it youll feel good afterward,grass fed grass finished lamb kidneys raised in a good environnement doesnt smell strong,and do not taste strong,it smell mild and it can taste very good probably as good as fresh grass fed grass finished lamb/veal liver,with perhaps a mild tint of pee.i just slice the kidneys in 2,and pan it at minimal fire until it is warm in the inside,slightly cooked only on a small layer,and raw in the inside,if i would cook it in a way to make someone enjoy it the first time i would cook it at minimal fire until it is totally cooked but not to the point where it dryed out and it went brown and crustly,i would cook it as midly as possible until its white/grey/light brown in the inside to keep the humidity,overcooked dehydrated meat that lost all her humidity is disgusting.Organs should be the best tasting part of the animal,they should never taste bad,muscle doesnt even come close

Last edited:

Michael Mohn

Kidneys make pee, that's how they smell. Getting grass fed and very fresh ones probably helps. Mixing in liver and muscle meat kills the flavour. Mince it and make burgers with ketchup and onions.

reality

Kidneys make pee, that's how they smell. Getting grass fed and very fresh ones probably helps. Mixing in liver and muscle meat kills the flavour. Mince it and make burgers with ketchup and onions.
This. The smell doesn’t bother me personally, and I enjoy the taste.

I wondered about the white stuff inside OP but I just eat the entire thing and I have no issues.

Michael Mohn

This. The smell doesn’t bother me personally, and I enjoy the taste.

I wondered about the white stuff inside OP but I just eat the entire thing and I have no issues.
Good for you. Kidney have some interesting things like highest selenium levels of most peaty foods, DAO enzymes that help break down histamine in the intestine.

meatbag

I couldn't find a reason to eat kidney if you have liver available

koky

I found lamb kidney smell repulsive also
so I now add it to oxtail or chicken feet stews and don't notice the taste of it

When I came home from school as a child I could always tell immediately upon opening the door that my mother was cooking kidneys. Our house smelled like a nursing home!

orangeUglad

I wash my kidneys in water, cut out most of the white fat, chop them up into bite sized pieces...blend up some tomatoes, ginger, onion with a bit of water...start to fry that mixture in coconut oil...once the tomato mixture turns a darker red color I add the kidney pieces to it...(continue to boil) add some chicken or beef bouillon to the mixture..add some sea salt...add veggies of ur choice..chopped carrots..celery..whatever...once the veggies u added to it are fully cooked ur done and just plop that over some white rice?yummmy

Jayvee

I blend them, make bolognese with them and some ground vension and then finish the sauce off with maple syrup and Parmesan. ?