miquelangeles

So you basically get a bigger vitamin d dose when you apply it and go out in the sun ...
Yes, and at the very least it would make the skin appear more youthful. It is also antibacterial and antifungal. For skincare I would favor it over pure cholesterol because it contains ceramides as well.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Yes, and at the very least it would make the skin appear more youthful. It is also antibacterial and antifungal. For skincare I would favor it over pure cholesterol because it contains ceramides as well.
Ok so at the very least I can use it for my dry skin ,with some added benefits :)

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

According to wikipedia ceramides cause insulin resistance.

golder

Is there a general consensus on the best way to apply lanolin topically other than a complete guesstimate of 50:50 in MCT oil? I wonder if anyone has experimented or researched more than me. Definitely going to apply a small amount before any sun exposure with the enhanced vitamin D angle.

Last edited:

Inaut

Is there a general consensus on the best way to apply lanolin topically other than a couple guesstimate of 50:50 in MCT oil? I wonder if anyone has experimented or researched more than me. Definitely going to apply a small amount before any sun exposure with the enhanced vitamin D angle.
Just did this actually. Applied some to my thymus area and l sat in sunlight for about an hour. I feel pretty good right now :) but it could just be the suns effect. First day I could get some good exposure since the end of summer

miquelangeles

Is there a general consensus on the best way to apply lanolin topically other than a complete guesstimate of 50:50 in MCT oil? I wonder if anyone has experimented or researched more than me. Definitely going to apply a small amount before any sun exposure with the enhanced vitamin D angle.

You can apply lanolin alone. If it is too viscous put the container in hot water, it will quickly become very fluid. Lanolin has a melting point of ~40 C.

Edited to add:
You can also put a small amount on your hand and run it through hot tap water, then apply it to the desired area. It is not truly water soluble but it forms a homogenous mixture with warm water that is more easily applied, and it will also lock in the residual moisture.

Last edited:
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

They are beneficial to the skin. Naturally the epidermis contains 50% ceramides, the rest is free fatty acids and cholesterol.
Oh okay didnt know that thanks . So maybe the biggest part of it also stays in the epidermis when you apply lanolin .

Didnt you say somewhere that lanolin contains other beneficial substances ? Cant find that post anywhere .

I applied lanolin for the first time yesterday. I noticed somethings but that might have been because of the B2 I took as well .
But what i definitely noticed is that everything completely disappeared overnight. I think my skin is really dry lol

miquelangeles

Oh okay didnt know that thanks . So maybe the biggest part of it also stays in the epidermis when you apply lanolin .

Didnt you say somewhere that lanolin contains other beneficial substances ? Cant find that post anywhere .

I applied lanolin for the first time yesterday. I noticed somethings but that might have been because of the B2 I took as well .
But what i definitely noticed is that everything completely disappeared overnight. I think my skin is really dry lol

Yeah, I don't expect any profound systemic effects. But it will definitely maintain the youthful appearance of the skin. Both ceramides and cholesterol are being used in high end skincare products. I think it was the ceramides that I mentioned as the other beneficial substances.

Marathon swimmers coat their bodies in lanolin to prevent chafing. Some believe that it also helps retain body heat in cold water and increase buoyancy. Others use it just because it stays on longer than vaseline.

I also have very dry skin and noticed the same. Previously was getting good results with pure glycerin (after reading someone's suggestion on this forum) but lanolin seems way better and a single application lasts up to 48 hours.

Inaut

So lanolin/mct oil is healing my dyshidrotic eczema on my hands pretty nicely. Also using on my face and private parts. On all three locations I’m noticing benefits :) This stuff is amazing and the mct oil really helps with absorption I find

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

So lanolin/mct oil is healing my dyshidrotic eczema on my hands pretty nicely. Also using on my face and private parts. On all three locations I’m noticing benefits :) This stuff is amazing and the mct oil really helps with absorption I find
Did you notice any hormonal benefits ?or just the skin ?

Inaut

I definitely think there's some hormonal effects going on. Libido feels different. Better. I'm also taking a good tribulus on and off so that's a factor but will try a week with just lanolin/mct and report back.

ps. this is becoming one of my favourite threads :)

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I definitely think there's some hormonal effects going on. Libido feels different. Better. I'm also taking a good tribulus on and off so that's a factor but will try a week with just lanolin/mct and report back
Thanks. Im keeping it too. At the very least for skincare ! But I'll try it on scrotum etc.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

So lanolin contains cholesterol, lanosterol and dihydrolanosterol )
Labosterol is actually beeing soled as an idelabs supplement . It has pro dopamin and metabolism effects and I think some use it to get rid of age pigments . So if it absorbs there should be some nice metabolic effects . Although the study didn't mention how much lanosterol lanolin contains.

"Steryl esters with different sterol (i.e. cholesterol, lanosterol and dihydrolanosterol) and acid moieties either according to carbon number (i.e C10–C23) or isomeric forms (i.e. normal, iso and anteiso) have been identified."

Interestingly it seems like fatty acids in wool esters are much longer , C37-54 .

"The raw wool esters extracted are in the range of C37 to C54..."

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

"Compounds such as 111 mg lanosterol, 84 mg dihydrolanosterol, and 183 mg cholesterol with high purity of 99.77, 95.71, and 91.43%, respectively, analyzed by high-performance liquid chromatography were obtained within 80 min from 700 mg crude extract from 1.78 g lanolin."

That's actually a lot ! Lanosterol is effective in low mg amounts . So only if only 2-5 % absorb through the skin that would be a good dose of lanosterol (and dihydrolanosterol)

miquelangeles

"Compounds such as 111 mg lanosterol, 84 mg dihydrolanosterol, and 183 mg cholesterol with high purity of 99.77, 95.71, and 91.43%, respectively, analyzed by high-performance liquid chromatography were obtained within 80 min from 700 mg crude extract from 1.78 g lanolin."

That's actually a lot ! Lanosterol is effective in low mg amounts . So only if only 2-5 % absorb through the skin that would be a good dose of lanosterol (and dihydrolanosterol)
Very interesting, that's quite a lot.
I've been using it as a skin moisturizer with great success, and wasn't hoping for any hormonal effects. I also tried it once on the face but it caused lots of tiny bumps, which disappeared after another 24hrs. I guess something does happen after all, at least at the skin level. But I can't discern any system effects as I'm currently taking Cistanche, Selenium, B1/B2 and occasionally other stuff.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I also asked peat about topical absorption of lanosterol from lanolin and if its enough to have an effect on the body .

This was his response:

"The high viscosity make it very slow to penetrate; mixing it with coconut oil could help it to absorb."

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

So it looks like you were spot on ,by mixing it in coconut oil /mct oil @James b @Inaut

I'll do the same right now.