The Single Most Effective Change That Boosted Your Thyroid

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

Ray doesn't recommend it at all. He argues quite convincingly that we already get too much of it.
In my country, we consume iodized salt, that's how it's always been. Now, I've been through periods where I consumed sea salt or himalayan salt only, don't think I noticed much difference.

Jennifer

do you just take NDT or take T3 as well? Do you dose the best in the AM or PM?
I take just the NDT, split up throughout the day (right after I finish a meal) so that I'm getting more physiological doses of T3 (no more than 4 mcg per hour). It may be overkill taking it split up, maybe even better taking it all at once, but I was dealing with pretty serious adrenaline attacks at the time I was put on it and didn't want to potentially make the adrenaline symptoms worse while my body was adjusting. My mum, who ran on adrenaline, had severe symptoms from T3 before I suggested she split her dose up so I figured I'd likely experience the same. All I know is if I miss a dose, I can feel adrenaline (heat rush, heart papls, shakes etc.) coming on.

dreamcatcher

Aside from practicing self-love/self-acceptance, the most effective change for boosting my thyroid so far has been the addition of NDT (WP Thyroid) and pairing salted gelatinous protein (for me, shellfish and marine collagen) with freshly pressed juice at every meal. I experienced benefits from raw fruitarianism and carnivore (honey and dairy free), but didn't experience both high temps and warm extremities until I combined the two diets -- I now consistently wake with 98.6° (37°) temps that rise to 99°+ (37.22°+) during the day, with toasty extremities. :)
Great!

Jsaute21

I take just the NDT, split up throughout the day (right after I finish a meal) so that I'm getting more physiological doses of T3 (no more than 4 mcg per hour). It may be overkill taking it split up, maybe even better taking it all at once, but I was dealing with pretty serious adrenaline attacks at the time I was put on it and didn't want to potentially make the adrenaline symptoms worse while my body was adjusting. My mum, who ran on adrenaline, had severe symptoms from T3 before I suggested she split her dose up so I figured I'd likely experience the same. All I know is if I miss a dose, I can feel adrenaline (heat rush, heart papls, shakes etc.) coming on.

makes sense - seems like it’s working for you. Is your mom just taking T3 or NDT as well?

In my country, we consume iodized salt, that's how it's always been. Now, I've been through periods where I consumed sea salt or himalayan salt only, don't think I noticed much difference.

I reckon Peat is against it because Milk contains highly variable amounts of it,were one Litre can reach up to 600-1000µg.
If you are not a milkdrinker,and mainland Europe dweller,then you need iodized Salt very very much.Losses of Iodine come from transpiration,which are not compensated for,you never not lose Iodine,iirc it was something huge like 50µg per litre/~quart.
Also all renal imperfections increase iodine losses,if Individuals on Peat-like Diets go high Carb while fairly sedentary,the hyperglycemia which is possible from large CHO Boluses would increase losses further.
Europeans should aim for 300-600µg from all sources imo,also to account for goitrogens and Fluoride,Bromine Halogen competition.Further,Iodized Salt isnt very stable,and should be changed often and stored undisturbed from influence.

ebs

Difficult to pin it down to one change but I suspect that glycine played an important role in bringing my TSH down to around 1 while it was previously 2-4. Obviously it was a combination of changes such as lowering metabolic stress in general.

That said, bringing down TSH felt more like anti-stress than pro-thyroid to me as I continue to experience cold hands/feet.

Beastmode

Drinking more milk on a "consistent" basis.

I was at a quart and that really helped keep my temps and pulse up.

The past month I've been getting 5+ cups. I was able to get 7+ the past week and that's really improved my energy levels throughout the day.

Energizer

Hard to really say just one thing, maybe lots of sunlight, because when I'm getting lots of sun my pulse and temperature skyrockets.

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

Summer really seems to be nourishing for the thyroid. I live in a climate with 4 seasons, I get 3 months of winter and another 3 months of rainy autumn. Imagine if it was spring / summer all year.

Energizer

Yeah I think Ray said he needs 4 times more thyroid in the winter than summer and many of the people he's consulted with have said the same so there you go. Probably best to live somewhere that is sunny most of the year. We have four seasons here where I live too in Oregon and everyone makes a big deal about summer because the sun is usually hidden in clouds the rest of the year.

Mellow

Ray doesn't recommend it at all. He argues quite convincingly that we already get too much of it.
Iodide is different, as Japanese people eat tons of seaweed with no adverse thyroid effects.
Sorry to ask - been looking for the answer to this but couldn't find.

Generally iodine should be thyroid suppressive, but clearly Japanese perform rather well, with good longevity and health relative to the majority of countries.

Does the seaweed provide iodide rather than iodine, and if so what is the difference of iodide in the way it acts in the body?

lilsticky

Olive leaf for thyroid conversion. It stops inflammation very quickly for me which is a clear indication of thyroid. As for Iodine you really need selenium with it. Rp still suggests sea food once a week for trace minerals which is quite often

lilsticky

Sorry to ask - been looking for the answer to this but couldn't find.

Generally iodine should be thyroid suppressive, but clearly Japanese perform rather well, with good longevity and health relative to the majority of countries.

Does the seaweed provide iodide rather than iodine, and if so what is the difference of iodide in the way it acts in the body?

The japaneses eat fish all the day. I wonder if spoiled fish oil supplements are available or even popular over there?

ursidae

high calories
I always forget that half the forum is on thyroid. This might be responsible for all the dissonance. It is not reasonable to compare oneself to those supplementing

Last edited:
M

metabolizm

Drinking more milk on a "consistent" basis.

I was at a quart and that really helped keep my temps and pulse up.

The past month I've been getting 5+ cups. I was able to get 7+ the past week and that's really improved my energy levels throughout the day.

Do you notice any negatives to drinking large amounts of milk?

Physiological sleeping rhythm (i.e. going to bed at 10 - 11 PM at latest, instead of 2 - 3 AM like in college days) - this alone cut my TSH nearly in half
Red light
Thyreogen A2 thyroid peptide
Nigella sativa (blackseed oil)

Getting enough carbs helps with T3 levels, but other than that I haven't noticed much help from dietary interventions, i.e. my TSH was still 7-8 even when I stopped dieting and ate enough.

I've gotten it as low as 1.9 with Thyreogen, shot back up to 3.3 recently, now I started red light so we'll see what happens after a while.