The safety of high salt diet?

Astolfo

I'm talking about 20-25 gr NaCl daily. I saw some writings saying it leads to endothelial dysfunction and cognitive deficits but there were so many conflicting opinions.

What's your potassium intake like?

Maljam

For what reason are you pushing salt so high? Why not just salt your food to taste?

Easiest way to determine how much salt you need is to take 1/4 teaspoon under the tongue, swish with water, swallow, observe for 20 seconds to see if it helped your brain to flick on.

Repeat this until the salt doesn't taste desirable anymore. Use your body as the measuring stick the same way that you would when you're drinking water to quench thirst.

For me, when I went overboard with it in the past - disregarding how desirable it was to eat - it just lead to feelings of dehydration and irritability.

OP
A

Astolfo

What's your potassium intake like?
A bit low.

For what reason are you pushing salt so high? Why not just salt your food to taste?
I'm trying to get therapeutic dose.

Easiest way to determine how much salt you need is to take 1/4 teaspoon under the tongue, swish with water, swallow, observe for 20 seconds to see if it helped your brain to flick on.

Repeat this until the salt doesn't taste desirable anymore. Use your body as the measuring stick the same way that you would when you're drinking water to quench thirst.

For me, when I went overboard with it in the past - disregarding how desirable it was to eat - it just lead to feelings of dehydration and irritability.
Thanks for the technique but question was whether it will be safe or not in high doses. I won't probably crave for 25 gram a day.

OP
A

Astolfo

Jeez. That's too low. What are you eating right now?
Meat, vegetables and carbs mainly. I don't like bananas and oranges are expensive.

Does it matter anyway? I have KCl at home but don't take it right now as potassium gives me bad side effects. I'm avoiding from it on purpose. The only thing I want to know is whether very high dose NaCl is harmful or not.

Meat, vegetables and carbs mainly. I don't like bananas and oranges are expensive.

Does it matter anyway? I have KCl at home but don't take it right now as potassium gives me bad side effects. I'm avoiding from it on purpose. The only thing I want to know is whether very high dose NaCl is harmful or not.
I think a high intake of sodium without a lot of potassium would be bad. It will cause oxidative stress, probably edema too, not to mention elevated blood pressure. Potassium naturally lowers blood pressure. There is also the fact that such a ratio of K to Na is very unnatural.

A high intake of sodium requires you to intake more calcium too, and a high intake of chloride requires more bicarbonate/ organic acids which turn into bicarbonate, such as citrate, malate, etc.

Potassium chloride isn't the best form of potassium. Potassium citrate and potassium bicarbonate are much safer forms. The chloride form is going to acidify you even more, especially in combination with sodium chloride.

Potatoes, sweet potatoes, ( cooked) plantains, beet greens, etc. are also great sources of potassium.