The "safest" drug to increase serotonin

Years ago when I tried testosterone gel I instantly felt instantly very well. Now I fell nothing from it in same day, after 2 days I feel more fatigue. From what I read testosterone,dht increase dopamine in reduce serotonin (correct me if I am wrong).

Years ago when I tried st. john's wort it worked very well. Now I don't feel anything from it. The same about 5-htp and theanine.
2 years ago I tried micro dosing lds which worked well only for first day, later I didn't feel anything from it. Now I also don't feel anything.

I tried Cyproheptadine, Diamant and Metergoline which after a few days made me very depressed. First day I felt good. Then it made me very depressed. Now if I try Diamant I don't feel anything. All of them are in some way dopamine agonists and serotonin reducing substances from what I read. So I was thinking what if the problem is too high dopamine and too low serotonin. And to test this hypothesis I am thinking to try some drug that increase serotonin. In this way I will finally know if the problem is serotonin.

Which drug do you think would be the safest option just to test this hypothesis?

redsun

Years ago when I tried testosterone gel I instantly felt instantly very well. Now I fell nothing from it in same day, after 2 days I feel more fatigue. From what I read testosterone,dht increase dopamine in reduce serotonin (correct me if I am wrong).

Years ago when I tried st. john's wort it worked very well. Now I don't feel anything from it. The same about 5-htp and theanine.
2 years ago I tried micro dosing lds which worked well only for first day, later I didn't feel anything from it. Now I also don't feel anything.

I tried Cyproheptadine, Diamant and Metergoline which after a few days made me very depressed. First day I felt good. Then it made me very depressed. Now if I try Diamant I don't feel anything. All of them are in some way dopamine agonists and serotonin reducing substances from what I read. So I was thinking what if the problem is too high dopamine and too low serotonin. And to test this hypothesis I am thinking to try some drug that increase serotonin. In this way I will finally know if the problem is serotonin.

Which drug do you think would be the safest option just to test this hypothesis?
Hormones are just signalling molecules that regulate the body's systems and regulate our behavior (androgens making you manly, increase motivation/energy, estrogens for personality/energy/sociability). But changing the body and mind requires resources. Hormones without resources accomplish nothing. This is why some people can have effects from taking hormones, and some get nothing out of them. You had a 7 year gap where first it did work now it doesnt work. Some on this forum have gotten higher androgens and more energy from just taking a good B complex. You may be low on minerals. If your diet is low in nutrients it would not be surprising why you have fatigue.

Your dopamine may already be in a good place, thus when you increase it even more you can end up with problems. You may need more norepinephrine. You can try 1-2g vitamin C daily to see if it improves energy if so then its probably due to increasing norepinephrine.

Gustav3Y

I would not expect any high spirits or liveliness from something like Cyproheptadine, not only anticholinergic effects but also strong antagonist on D3 and decent antagonist on D2 and D1.

opethfeldt

I had a similar experience when I first took anti serotonin drugs. I think it's the reduction in stress hormones you get when you increase dopamine. You take them away when you're hypothyroid and you're left with nothing to take up the slack. Anyway, no need to take a drug to increase serotonin, just eat a lot tryptophan or supplement it. I doubt you're gonna feel better doing so, though.

OP
N

This was just a very short story I wrote about my situation.

I still believe there is a chance that I am low in serotonin and after so many things I tried I would also try to increase serotonin for a few days. If it won't help I will know it is probably not serotonin problem so I can focus on other things. But if it will work it can safe my next 10 years that I would otherwise spend trying other things and still fell bad. It is not my first resource, I already tried many things in last 5+ years with different doctors. If there is a tiny chance that it will work I am ready to try. I already tried 5-htp to boost serotonin but I don't feel anything from it, now I would like to try something stronger.

Vinero

Your body is probably just toxic, it has nothing to do with dopamine or serotonin. Taking drugs or supplements to increase dopamine or serotonin is not the solution. Your liver is sluggish and you are not detoxing all of the garbage in your body fast enough. Taking more supplements, drugs, herbs, etc. will only make the problem worse. Your body is in a state of toxicity which is why you can't get the positive effects from supplements anymore. It has happened to me too. But I have found the solution. If you follow my recommendations you will feel changes happen to your body very quick. As fast as 3-7 days you will began to feel clean inside your body and clear-headed/energetic. Here are my guidelines:
1. Start with a clean slate, ditch all the supplements for now. There are a few specific supplements you can use but most supplements contain added fillers which just slow your liver down and cause inflammation. I am talking about things like magensium stereate, stearic acid, silica, titanium dioxide etc. Avoid multivitamins, B-complex, Vitamins A, C, D, E, K, and Calcium. Also avoid hormones like thyroid, progesterone, pregnenolone, DHEA. Avoid parmaceutical drugs such as cypro, diamant as well. You want to use as little supplements and drugs as possible to give the body a break.
2. Protein. Essential for liver function and detox. Best sources are lean-beef/bison, and skinless turkey. I personally eat lean beef and turkey breast as my protein sources. Skinless chicken is ok but not as good. Lean fish ocassionally is good too. But not too often.
Avoid pork, liver and organ meats, egg yolks, shellfish, milk and cheese, protein powders, gelatin.
3. Carbs. Rice (white or brown), Peeled Potatoes (white flesh or purple flesh), White sourdough bread.
Avoid: oranges and orange juice, whole grains, yellow flesh potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, excessive sugar (You can have small amounts like an apple or two, a banana, or some grapes but don't make sugar a main energy source). Get the bulk of your carbs from rice, potatoes or white bread.
4. Fats. The less added fats you eat the better. I eat no added fats at all, except some nuts like almonds or macadamia nuts when I feel like it. I don't think dietary fats are good at all, saturated or unsaturated. Unless you are severely underweight I would not add any fat. Eat more carbs, less fat. The bulk of your calories should come from complex carbs like rice or potatoes. I personally use an air fryer to cook my meats, so I don't have to use any oils or butter. You can use a small amount of oil to cook your food, but your progress will be slowed the more fat you eat. I have used refined coconut oil, refined olive oil , and butter but all tend to make me feel "dirty" when I eat too much of them. Maybe a teaspoon a day or something, just enough to cook your food in is OK.
5. Fiber. Keeps things moving in your gut, avoids constipation. Helps to bind to and excrete toxins. This is very important. Potatoes and brown rice provide some. Beans are a very good source of fiber and nutrients. Do not believe people who say beans cause hypothyroidism. The reverse is true, beans can help to cure hypothyroidsim by helping to remove toxins from the body. The fiber is very effective in soaking up toxins in your gut. Start slowly and build up your beans consumption. May cause gas in the beginning as your gut adapts to the increased fiber. Examples of good beans to eat are black beans, white lima beans, white cannellini beans, pinto beans, borlotti beans, adzuki beans.
Avoid lentils, red kidney beans, peas, and green beans.
6. Vegetables. I avoid all vegetables. They are all full of poison. Pale/white vegetables like onion, garlic, mushrooms and cauliflower are OK in small amounts. Green leafy vegetables like Kale and spinach are the worst of the worst. Avoid broccoli, carrots, etc. Avoid brightly colored vegetables like the plague, like tomatoes, bell peppers, corn, beets, etc. Also avoid products that are made from brightly colored vegetables like tomato ketchup, or tomato sauces.
7. Food quantity. Eat as much as you want. Never go hungry. Don't fast or undereat.
8. Supplements which might be useful: magnesium, zinc, taurine, glycine, Vitamins B1, B2, B3, Biotin, K2. Avoid supplements with magnesium stereate, stearic acid, or silica as fillers. If a supplement makes you feel bad don't continue to use it.

My health has taken a dramatic turn by following these principles. I have cured my eczema, asthma, depression, brain fog, and much more. You can begin to feel positive changes already after a week of following these principles. And you keep becoming healthier and healthier as time goes on. You will see your vision improve, thinking clarity improve, and your mood will lift. This is all because you are avoiding toxins from food and clearing them from your body.

Last edited:

Jing

Your body is probably just toxic, it has nothing to do with dopamine or serotonin. Taking drugs or supplements to increase dopamine or serotonin is not the solution. Your liver is sluggish and you are not detoxing all of the garbage in your body fast enough. Taking more supplements, drugs, herbs, etc. will only make the problem worse. Your body is in a state of toxicity which is why you can't get the positive effects from supplements anymore. It has happened to me too. But I have found the solution. If you follow my recommendations you will feel changes happen to your body very quick. As fast as 3-7 days you will began to feel clean inside your body and clear-headed/energetic. Here are my guidelines:
1. Start with a clean slate, ditch all the supplements for now. There are a few specific supplements you can use but most supplements contain added fillers which just slow your liver down and cause inflammation. I am talking about things like magensium stereate, stearic acid, silica, titanium dioxide etc. Avoid multivitamins, B-complex, Vitamins A, C, D, E, K, and Calcium. Also avoid hormones like thyroid, progesterone, pregnenolone, DHEA. Avoid parmaceutical drugs such as cypro, diamant as well. You want to use as little supplements and drugs as possible to give the body a break.
2. Protein. Essential for liver function and detox. Best sources are lean-beef/bison, and skinless turkey. I personally eat lean beef and turkey breast as my protein sources. Skinless chicken is ok but not as good. Lean fish ocassionally is good too. But not too often.
Avoid pork, liver and organ meats, egg yolks, shellfish, milk and cheese, protein powders, gelatin.
3. Carbs. Rice (white or brown), Peeled Potatoes (white flesh or purple flesh), White sourdough bread.
Avoid: oranges and orange juice, whole grains, yellow flesh potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, excessive sugar (You can have small amounts like an apple or two, a banana, or some grapes but don't make sugar a main energy source). Get the bulk of your carbs from rice, potatoes or white bread.
4. Fats. The less added fats you eat the better. I eat no added fats at all, except some nuts like almonds or macadamia nuts when I feel like it. I don't think dietary fats are good at all, saturated or unsaturated. Unless you are severely underweight I would not add any fat. Eat more carbs, less fat. The bulk of your calories should come from complex carbs like rice or potatoes. I personally use an air fryer to cook my meats, so I don't have to use any oils or butter. You can use a small amount of oil to cook your food, but your progress will be slowed the more fat you eat. I have used refined coconut oil, refined olive oil , and butter but all tend to make me feel "dirty" when I eat too much of them. Maybe a teaspoon a day or something, just enough to cook your food in is OK.
5. Fiber. Keeps things moving in your gut, avoids constipation. Helps to bind to and excrete toxins. This is very important. Potatoes and brown rice provide some. Beans are a very good source of fiber and nutrients. Do not believe people who say beans cause hypothyroidism. The reverse is true, beans can help to cure hypothyroidsim by helping to remove toxins from the body. The fiber is very effective in soaking up toxins in your gut. Start slowly and build up your beans consumption. May cause gas in the beginning as your gut adapts to the increased fiber. Examples of good beans to eat are black beans, white lima beans, white cannellini beans, pinto beans, borlotti beans, adzuki beans.
6. Vegetables. I avoid all vegetables. They are all full of poison. Pale/white vegetables like onion, garlic, mushrooms and cauliflower are OK in small amounts. Green leafy vegetables like Kale and spinach are the worst of the worst. Avoid broccoli, carrots, etc. Avoid brightly colored vegetables like the plague, like tomatoes, bell peppers, corn, beets, etc. Also avoid products that are made from brightly colored vegetables like tomato ketchup, or tomato sauces.
7. Food quantity. Eat as much as you want. Never go hungry. Don't fast or undereat.
8. Supplements which might be useful: magnesium, zinc, taurine, glycine, Vitamins B1, B2, B3, Biotin, K2. Avoid supplements with magnesium stereate, stearic acid, or silica as fillers. If a supplement makes you feel bad don't continue to use it.

My health has taken a dramatic turn by following these principles. I have cured my eczema, asthma, depression, brain fog, and much more. You can begin to feel positive changes already after a week of following these principles. And you keep becoming healthier and healthier as time goes on. You will see your vision improve, thinking clarity improve, and your mood will lift. This is all because you are avoiding toxins from food and clearing them from your body.
I couldn't imagine getting enough calories in a diet like that .

Vinero

I couldn't imagine getting enough calories in a diet like that .
Why? This is basically how many athletes and body builders eat anyway. I eat 4 meals a day and feel very satisfied.
Breakfast: White sourdough bread, roast beef
Meal 2: Brown rice, turkey breast + beans
Meal 3: White rice, beef steak + beans,
meal 4: Boiled potatoes (white or purple flesh, not yellow!)
I sporadically eat nuts like macadamia nuts or almonds. I listen to my body. My body is becoming healthier as time progresses. My body feels very clean eating like this. I have no inflammation or brain fog. You have to experience this for yourself. Try eating like this for a week minimum and you will notice clearer and sharper vision, less brain fog, better cognition, higher energy levels, optimism, etc. I have zero cravings for fat or sugar. The complex carbs from well cooked starches are the cleanest fuel for the human body. The fiber from beans binds with toxins in your gut helping to excrete them. Beef and turkey are the lowest inflammation inducing meats. Milk, cheese and eggs are a disaster and induce inflammation and auto-immunity. Brightly colored fruits and vegetables are full of toxins and just pollute your body. Follow these recommendations and watch yourself transform. Diseases will disappear and your consciousness will become cleaner/brighter. Hard to explain but something you have to experience for yourself. You can see your vision and how you view the world become brighter/cleaner.

Last edited:

Jing

Why? This is basically how many athletes and body builders eat anyway. I eat 4 meals a day and feel very satisfied.
Breakfast: White sourdough bread, roast beef
Meal 2: Brown rice, turkey breast + beans
Meal 3: White rice, beef steak + beans,
meal 4: Boiled potatoes (white or purple flesh, not yellow!)
I sporadically eat nuts like macadamia nuts or almonds. I listen to my body. My body is becoming healthier as time progresses. My body feels very clean eating like this. I have no inflammation or brain fog. You have to experience this for yourself. Try eating like this for a week minimum and you will notice clearer and sharper vision, less brain fog, better cognition, higher energy levels, optimism, etc. I have zero cravings for fat or sugar. The complex carbs from well cooked starches are the cleanest fuel for the human body. The fiber from beans binds with toxins in your gut helping to excrete them. Beef and turkey are the lowest inflammation inducing meats. Milk, cheese and eggs are a disaster and induce inflammation and auto-immunity. Brightly colored fruits and vegetables are full of toxins and just pollute your body. Follow these recommendations and watch yourself transform. Diseases will disappear and your consciousness will become cleaner/brighter. Hard to explain but something you have to experience for yourself. You can see your vision and how you view the world become brighter/cleaner.
How many calories do you get though? I need atleast 4000 calories a day otherwise I lose weight . I find it hard to eat so much with bland food .

Vinero

How many calories do you get though? I need atleast 4000 calories a day otherwise I lose weight . I find it hard to eat so much with bland food .
I don't count calories, I just eat till I am satisfied. Needing 4000 calories a day to maintain weight is not normal. You probably have a damaged metabolism. Like Ray Peat, who said when he was younger he needed 10.000 calories a day to maintain his weight. When he took thyroid his metabolism became more efficient and he could eat a normal amount of calories. Taking thyroid can help I guess, but you have to get to the root cause of why your body doesn't produce enough thyroid to begin with. I now believe it's because the body is toxic. You have to stop putting toxins in your body and help the body to excrete toxins. When you do this your body will produce the adequate amounts of thyroid, serotonin dopamine etc. That is why I eat the foods I eat. And it works. Fiber from beans to help your body excrete toxins, and you only eat clean foods like rice, potatoes, and lean meats.
I would just avoid milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, organ meats, orange juice, carrots, most added fats/oils, and green leafy vegetables. Those foods are full of bad stuff that will damage your metabolism. These foods can sometimes make people feel better because they have a drug-like effect. But in the long term these foods will age you faster and damage your metabolism. Eat clean foods, as much as you want, is the best solution.

OP
N

You can not say that serotonin is never the problem. It is probably true that in most cases the problem is somewhere else, but still you can not say that not a single person has serotonin problem.

I already tried liver cleaning protocols, also tried 7 days fasting, I also use infrared sauna. And many other things. I still believe the problem could be neurotransmitter balances, my grandma, grandpa, and my aunt all ended tragically due mental illness and some other relatives were hospitalled. After trying so many things I believe that low dopamine is not the problem. St John's wort increases also dopamine so I can not know based on if St John's wort worked or not if the problem is serotonin. This is why I would like to take something that is only serotonine agonist while not boosting dopamine.

rei

If you are stubborn and want to suffer then take 5-htp. More straight serotonin supplements were banned long ago because they were so toxic.

redsun

You can not say that serotonin is never the problem. It is probably true that in most cases the problem is somewhere else, but still you can not say that not a single person has serotonin problem.

I already tried liver cleaning protocols, also tried 7 days fasting, I also use infrared sauna. And many other things. I still believe the problem could be neurotransmitter balances, my grandma, grandpa, and my aunt all ended tragically due mental illness and some other relatives were hospitalled. After trying so many things I believe that low dopamine is not the problem. St John's wort increases also dopamine so I can not know based on if St John's wort worked or not if the problem is serotonin. This is why I would like to take something that is only serotonine agonist while not boosting dopamine.

Take high dose P5P, 25-50mg. You can take tryptophan too for added effect. This will raise serotonin by increasing its synthesis.

OP
N

Take high dose P5P, 25-50mg. You can take tryptophan too for added effect. This will raise serotonin by increasing its synthesis.
Would b6 pyridoxine hcl help in similar way or it has to be P5P? I am asking because I already have NOW b6 pyridoxine hcl 50mg.

redsun

Would b6 pyridoxine hcl help in similar way or it has to be P5P? I am asking because I already have NOW b6 pyridoxine hcl 50mg.

Pyridoxine is not good. Excess pyridoxine will paradoxically worsen B6 status because what you need is pyridoxal 5 phosphate, aka P5P.

Jing

I don't count calories, I just eat till I am satisfied. Needing 4000 calories a day to maintain weight is not normal. You probably have a damaged metabolism. Like Ray Peat, who said when he was younger he needed 10.000 calories a day to maintain his weight. When he took thyroid his metabolism became more efficient and he could eat a normal amount of calories. Taking thyroid can help I guess, but you have to get to the root cause of why your body doesn't produce enough thyroid to begin with. I now believe it's because the body is toxic. You have to stop putting toxins in your body and help the body to excrete toxins. When you do this your body will produce the adequate amounts of thyroid, serotonin dopamine etc. That is why I eat the foods I eat. And it works. Fiber from beans to help your body excrete toxins, and you only eat clean foods like rice, potatoes, and lean meats.
I would just avoid milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, organ meats, orange juice, carrots, most added fats/oils, and green leafy vegetables. Those foods are full of bad stuff that will damage your metabolism. These foods can sometimes make people feel better because they have a drug-like effect. But in the long term these foods will age you faster and damage your metabolism. Eat clean foods, as much as you want, is the best solution.
I already take thyroid.

OP
N

Bacopa monniera leaf ethanolic extract (BMEE) seems decrease dopamine and increase serotonin
"Following BMEE treatment, the level of serotonin (5-HT) increased while dopamine (DA) decreased significantly."

ddjd

regular b6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride) definitely increases serotonin in my experience

Satori

I am wondering how you came up with this protocol. I have been on Karen Hurd's bean protocol for 14 months eating beans 6x's a day along with protein, potatoes & carrots. I added some of RP's foods such as carrot salad, gelatin, oysters & a small amount of tangerines.
Yet my diet is mainly beans, protein & potatoes. I do not feel good with vegetables. I started her protocol bc of my gallbladder pain which has now gradually gone away. Also how many calories can you get per day?
I am trying to gain weight as I lost 30 pounds 2 years ago from a traumatic event which also put me in fight or flight freeze. I am now much better but can now feel my hormones are trying to balance out. I prefer to get most of my nutrients from food but am open to taking supplements if it will help with my thyroid.