THE ROOT OF GRAY HAIR

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Veritas IV posted this about stinging nettle for gray hair…

“Been using it for over a dozen years also. Teas, capsules, and in the shampoo a few times. And that's with no copper supplements till more recently. Very few gray hairs.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Rosemary tea can be beneficial for your hair in several ways. For one, it can help stimulate hair growth. The nutrients in it can also help to strengthen your hair and prevent breakage. Rosemary tea can also improve blood circulation to the scalp, which can promote healthy hair growth.

Rosemary is a herb often used to stimulate hair growth. In one study, it was found that when mice suffering from lower levels of testosterone in their system were increased it can help them grow back more hair than before!”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Time to plant and grow a big rosemary bush.
I have been growing rosemary for at least 15 years! It cured my adrenal/heart issue. I just dried a bunch of it this past couple of weeks, for tea. It is so easy and much cheaper to grow your own. I grew mine in a milk crate, lined with some weed block and keep it on the cement patio.

Attachments

• 5851F0A1-D36B-42A3-BD0D-F833DE328905.jpeg
    5851F0A1-D36B-42A3-BD0D-F833DE328905.jpeg
    830.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 2CE86809-7B36-4015-AF75-94BB843A4031.jpeg
    2CE86809-7B36-4015-AF75-94BB843A4031.jpeg
    478.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 0FE0E177-6A2D-426B-BD0F-AEE4C0873240.jpeg
    0FE0E177-6A2D-426B-BD0F-AEE4C0873240.jpeg
    607.5 KB · Views: 32
OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat
Thanks for the recipes... I used to eat nettles when I first moved to Alaska. Just the young tender greens in the Spring/early Summer. I did have a strong reaction to them when hiking in shorts, for me the rash lasts a good 24 hours or more, And it is sun sensitive. Hmmmmm. I bet it grows here Down Under.
I have been growing 3 plants, and have gotten stung three times now. Fortunately I put on some baking soda paste each time and it goes away quickly, but my experience came from barely roughing the leaves. That would really be a miserable experience walking straight in it. Admittedly, after the stings, I am a little nervous to eat them. I am not going to eat them until the stalks are about 2 feet tall. I like how easy it is to get a good dose of vitamin K1 with them. I hear they are delicious! Did you like them @AlaskaJono?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
For people that are worried about nettle, throw some rosemary in with the nettle. Rosemary clears out estrogens….

“Another reason integrative healthcare practitioners like the herb and supplements is that they seem to have hormone-balancing effects—especially for women. “It helps detox estrogens in the liver, which can lower activity in the body,” says Susan Blum, M.D., an integrative physician and founder of the Blum Center for Health in Rye Brook, New York. “It’s great to use for women with heavy periods, bad PMS, fibroids, fibrocystic breasts, endometriosis, and hot flashes.”

In fact, research in mice demonstrates that by clearing out estrogen, rosemary helps decreases the hormone’s ability to cause cancer, and a study in Oncology Reports showed that rosemary extract “slowed the spread of human leukemia and breast carcinoma cells.””

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@ivy found this lost treasure!

Lost Conversations with Ray Peat #1: The Purpose of Hair, Luciferianism, and Obama as a CIA Creation

Danny Roddy: Okay, that makes sense. I read a few times, Kealey. I might be saying his name wrong. Adachi and a few of the other hair loss guys talk about how the hair follicle is extremely glucose-dependent and that it needs a source of glucose. Then a few other people say it's relatively independent of the circulation of glucose in the blood. They were thinking that the glycogen was part of that independence, but if the circulation is reduced from the low thyroid function and the oxygen supply is reduced, the hair follicle obviously suffers. That's where the oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation come in, really harming ... Go ahead.

Ray Peat: Yeah. All of the stresses tend to interfere with glucose oxidation. When you're stressed, you liberate free fatty acids as an energy source, but those poison the ability to oxidize oxygen, so it creates a local diabetes. Have you heard anything about whether diabetics have more baldness or less baldness?

Danny Roddy: I read that the insulin resistance, so-called, is related to baldness. Then somebody on one of my YouTube videos said that he had worked extensively with type 1 diabetics who were all using insulin, and he was like, "I've never noticed any of them being bald before." I don't know if that was accurate or not.

Ray Peat: I've been thinking that with a concentrated glucose solution, you could probably activate hair growth just by keeping your scalp moistened with glucose.

Danny Roddy: That's funny because people have emailed me that, asking if that was a viable therapy. I was like, "I have no idea. I don't know how that would work." It made me think of when you would say things like people use honey for scars and things like that. Go ahead.

Ray Peat: People are actually suggesting applying insulin topically to the skin, but that's a relatively much bigger molecule than glucose. I think there's a chance that either of those can get in, in a quantity that could help.

Danny Roddy: The insulin is helping by what? Stupid question but just supplying the hair follicle with glucose?

Ray Peat: With energy, yeah.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In white hair, the amount of tryptophan is higher than in hair of any other color. Although serotonin and tryptophan are very important during rapid growth, their presence in senile tissues is probably closely associated with the processes of decline. The hair loss that occurs in hypothyroidism, postpartum syndrome, and with the use of drugs such as St. John's wort (which can also cause the “serotonin syndrome”) could be another effect of excess serotonin.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Copper is the crucial element for producing the color in hair and skin, for maintaining the elasticity of skin and blood vessels, for protecting against certain types of free radical, and especially for allowing us to use oxygen properly for the production of biological energy. It is also necessary for the normal functioning of certain nerve cells (substantia nigra) whose degeneration is involved in Parkinson's disease. The shape and texture of hair, as well as its color, can change in a copper deficiency. Too much iron can block our absorption of copper, and too little copper makes us store too much iron. With aging, our tissues lose copper as they store excess iron. Because of those changes, we need more vitamin E as we age.” Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Many turn to heliosis, otherwise known as exposure to the sun, to promote hair growth. It should be noted that there is such a thing as overexposure, so you want to make sure you don't overdo it. Most experts recommend soaking up the midday rays of the sun for at least 10 to 30 minutes every day.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Two forms of rosemary are used for hair growth benefits: rosemary oil and rosemary water. Although there's limited research on rosemary water and hair growth, studies on the more potent rosemary oil show some promise. Two studies, in particular, suggest rosemary might help with hair growth.

One study found that after six months, rosemary oil was just as effective for treating androgenetic alopecia (male and female pattern baldness) as minoxidil, a common hair growth treatment branded and sold as Rogaine.

In another study, this time with mice, researchers found that rosemary extract may block a hormone known to cause hair loss — dihydrotestosterone (DHT). The results showed promising signs that rosemary may help promote hair growth in these cases.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Foods that Naturally Contain Anti-Aromatase
For example, fresh orange juice contains a flavonoid known as naringin. Mushrooms, nettle root, chamomile, and guavas contain a flavone known as apigenin. These two compounds contain naturally-occurring anti-estrogen mechanisms, which can lower estrogen and protect androgens.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“High doses of biotin "can alter test resultsthat healthcare providers may order, like thyroid testing, cardiac testing [and] potentially even vitamin D testing," Dr. Rebecca Hartman, an assistant professor of dermatology at Harvard Medical School and one of the authors of the paper, tells CNBC Make It.

The daily recommended dose of biotin for adults is 0.03 milligrams. In some cases, supplements had 650 times that amount, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

High levels of biotin to that degree can potentially lead to false diagnoses of hyperthyroidism and affect doctors' abilities to detect heart attacks in patients, Hartman told TODAY in June.

Dr. Adam Friedman, chair of dermatology at the George Washington University, says these side effects can sometimes be deadly. "Someone died because a heart attack was missed [during testing]," Friedman explains, saying that the patient's troponin levels weren't showing any sign for concern. "They weren't elevated in this one individual who was taking a biotin supplement for hair growth."”

June

Yes, I did try Vitex couple years ago or so, and I had symptoms I interpret as high estrogen (like very heavy and long period and nipple hipersensibility), even if it is supposed to be pro-progesterone. Since then I'm afraid of trying anything that has an impact on hormones.
Sorry this is old, but what was the dose you took for Vitex? It can have an opposite effect at lower doses.

OP
Rinse & rePeat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“I have long suspected that premature greying of hair on top of head is a sign of poorer health but could not find many studied which examined the connection.
This study found that such a link indeed exists, and in general the whiter the hair of the male is the higher his risk of having or developing CVD. So, as they say, grey hair is a possible biomarker of "biological age" and thus systemic health.”