THE ROOT OF GRAY HAIR

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Manganese reverses grey hair,maybe due to his iron opposing effects.

Well that is good to know because I just found this really "Peaty" sprouted brown rice cereal is really high in maganese. It us similar to Rice Crispies, which was a favorite of mine! I just read today that maganese is good for revving up the thyroid too

Attachments

• 20211021_155705.jpg
    20211021_155705.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 20211021_143838.jpg
    20211021_143838.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 94

Razvan

Well that is good to know because I just found this really "Peaty" sprouted brown rice cereal is really high in maganese. It us similar to Rice Crispies, which was a favorite of mine! I just read today that maganese is good for revving up the thyroid too
Yes or you could do as I did by eating mussels and or pineapple which will give you 300% or more of what you need

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yes or you could do as I did by eating mussels and or pineapple which will give you 300% or more of what you need

I love mussels, but they are really high in coron and I reserve those high iron times for liver and oysters.

"The copper in oysters is protective against iron excess." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Iron destroys vitamin E, so vitamin E should be taken as a supplement. It shouldn't be taken at the same time as the iron-contaminated food, because iron reacts with it in the stomach. About 100 mg. per day is adequate, though our requirement increases with age, as our tissue iron stores increase. Coffee, when taken with food, strongly inhibits the absorption of iron, so I always try to drink coffee with meat. Decreasing your consumption of unsaturated fats makes the iron less harmful. Vitamin C stimulates the absorption of iron, so it might be a good idea to avoid drinking orange juice at the same meal with iron-rich foods. A deficiency of copper causes our tissues to retain an excess of iron, so foods such as shrimp and oysters which contain abundant copper should be used regularly." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"I think these facts imply that excessive tryptophan, estrogen, and polyunsaturated fats contribute significantly, maybe decisively, to the degenerative changes that occur in aging. Experiments have separately shown that reducing dietary tryptophan or unsaturated fats can extend the healthy lifespan, and several antiestrogenic interventions (removal of the pituitary, or supplementing with progesterone) can slow age-related changes and delay degenerative diseases. Since these factors interact, each tending to promote the others, and also interact with exogenous toxins, excess iron accumulation, and other stressors, it would be reasonable to expect greater results when several of the problems are corrected at the same time." Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The fatigue produced by “over-training” is probably produced by a tryptophan and serotonin overload, resulting from catabolism of muscle proteins and stress-induced increases in serotonin. Muscle catabolism also releases a large amount of cysteine, and cysteine, methionine, and tryptophan suppress thyroid function (Carvalho, et al., 2000). Stress also liberates free fatty acids from storage, and these fatty acids increase the uptake of tryptophan into the brain, increasing the formation of serotonin. Since serotonin increases ACTH and cortisol secretion, the catabolic state tends to be self-perpetuating. This process is probably a factor influencing the rate of aging, and contributing to the physiological peculiarities of aging and depression."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
So only have the yolks?

This confirms you need to ditch the egg whites for the nettle to work!

"In white hair, the amount of tryptophan is higher than in hair of any other color. Although serotonin and tryptophan are very important during rapid growth, their presence in senile tissues is probably closely associated with the processes of decline. The hair loss that occurs in hypothyroidism, postpartum syndrome, and with the use of drugs such as St. John's wort (which can also cause the “serotonin syndrome”) could be another effect of excess serotonin."- Ray Peat

DirtySkeeze

Thanks ill cut out the egg white today. On another note do you suggest any specific gelatin? And you were talking of pairing proteins?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thanks ill cut out the egg white today. On another note do you suggest any specific gelatin? And you were talking of pairing proteins?

I did a thread on food pairings and weight loss and find, as RP says, that pairing high fats with sugars can make isca combination for gaining fat weight. To offset that I pair the couple of egg yolks with an extra nonfat protein source from gelatin or skimmed milk and also a sugar source, like fresh orange juice or honey. I use the Great Lakes gelatin. Just be sure to dissolve it in hot water so it doesn't cause bloating.

Here is that thread with more of my food pairings...

mm33

Forum Supporter
I have created this thread because I get asked a lot about nettle, and how it restored my natural hair color. I have told of my good results, here and there on this forum, but now I want to talk about other factors that may have played a part in my results.

My first hearing about nettle having this magical ability was in my kitchen, overhearing my cousin talking about it. Someone accused him of dying his graying hair black, which he denied, and said nettle had reversed his gray. He said he read about a Chinese man going from totally gray to having naturally black hair again taking nettle. I looked it up and it was true, so I started taking nettle and it worked!

I have had a few advantages that may have given me a headstart. Number one I have never dyed my hair in all of my 58 years. I imagine reviving dead follicles is a bit tougher. First of all our hair has a short life and then it falls out and regenerates new hair. Those new hairs are the ones that have a better chance of growing in again with color. So don't lose hope young graying people! After I had taken the nettle for awhile, I could pull out a gray hair and see inches of new growth with color. Everyone I showed was amazed! The really thick stiff ones did not respond so I just pulled them out as I saw them disrupting my view in the mirror.

Secondly I am a pretty "happy go lucky" person so stress is not graying me in the least. I have seen a person go gray in a couple of years just going through the stress of a divorce. So turn on that happy music for your hair's sake!

Thirdly I am relatively grain free and not heavy on red meat, both of which Ray Peat says accelerates aging. I eat my copper via beef liver, which is also known to restore natural hair color, and get lots of other anti-aging nutrients eating shellfish. Now with that being said, my cousin who restored his natural hair color has always been overweight, eating an ordinary Western diet and his gray reversed in his middle 30's. Considering that, your mileage my vary.

Below are some of the reasons I have read that causes premature graying. I have attached a couple of pics of my hair at 58 years old. The side pic was from last year and the other was from March of this year. I will work on getting a more recent pic.

*Stress

*Anti-nutrients from grains, high iron foods like red meat and fortified cereals

* Dying & bleaching hair

* Protein & other nutritional deficiencies

*Thyroid & other disorders.

*Smoking

*Medications

Hey R&R I always love your posts thanks!! Do you take a supplement(s) or the use the actual nettle leaves? If supplement which one and how much? I'm 63 so getting a lot of gray hair so would like to hear natural answers (would never dye - don't know how lol).

YamnayaMommy

I did a thread on food pairings and weight loss and find, as RP says, that pairing high fats with sugars can make isca combination for gaining fat weight. To offset that I pair the couple of egg yolks with an extra nonfat protein source from gelatin or skimmed milk and also a sugar source, like fresh orange juice or honey. I use the Great Lakes gelatin. Just be sure to dissolve it in hot water so it doesn't cause bloating.

Here is that thread with more of my food pairings...

As someone who has become very expert in getting 120g of protein/day, while minimizing tryptophan, let me tell you my gelatin secrets.

To make things really easy, prepare your gelatin for the next day before you go to bed. Fill a tall glass with about 8 oz of water. Stir in three tbs of gelatin (Knox, Great Lakes, etc.). Let it "bloom" for at least ten minutes--and stir to dissolve any clumps. Then microwave it for a minute. You can also heat it on a stove. Then put it in the fridge.

The next day, take out your glass with prepared gelled gelatin. Now you can scoop out gelatin and add it to your drinks or food throughout the day.

Breakfast coffee? Scoop out about a third of your gelatin, heat it up, add coffee and sugar and milk.

do you like mangos and chocolate and EGG YOLK? You should try my special lunch:

(I am doing INTENSE MOTHERING of three little kids and a border collie all day long; everything I eat is BASIC)

I get bags of frozen mango chunks from Aldi (you can also bake these in an oven with cinnamon and they're amazing). Thaw them over night. Put a cup of them in a bowl, then add a cup of nonfat plain greek yogurt, then add some of your heated gelatin mixture, and some chocolate chunks, and 1-2 egg yolks.
Stir it all up--the cold yogurt and mangos will semi gel the gelatin. It's ~400 calories, with 40g of protein. You can add sugar or honey if you want a better carb to protein ration. I had a handful of CANDY CORN with mine today. :)

You can also heat up some of your prepared gelatin and add OJ concentrate and some milk ... that's my go-to recovery meal after strength training. With 5g of creatine.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
As someone who has become very expert in getting 120g of protein/day, while minimizing tryptophan, let me tell you my gelatin secrets.

To make things really easy, prepare your gelatin for the next day before you go to bed. Fill a tall glass with about 8 oz of water. Stir in three tbs of gelatin (Knox, Great Lakes, etc.). Let it "bloom" for at least ten minutes--and stir to dissolve any clumps. Then microwave it for a minute. You can also heat it on a stove. Then put it in the fridge.

The next day, take out your glass with prepared gelled gelatin. Now you can scoop out gelatin and add it to your drinks or food throughout the day.

Breakfast coffee? Scoop out about a third of your gelatin, heat it up, add coffee and sugar and milk.

do you like mangos and chocolate and EGG YOLK? You should try my special lunch:

(I am doing INTENSE MOTHERING of three little kids and a border collie all day long; everything I eat is BASIC)

I get bags of frozen mango chunks from Aldi (you can also bake these in an oven with cinnamon and they're amazing). Thaw them over night. Put a cup of them in a bowl, then add a cup of nonfat plain greek yogurt, then add some of your heated gelatin mixture, and some chocolate chunks, and 1-2 egg yolks.
Stir it all up--the cold yogurt and mangos will semi gel the gelatin. It's ~400 calories, with 40g of protein. You can add sugar or honey if you want a better carb to protein ration. I had a handful of CANDY CORN with mine today. :)

You can also heat up some of your prepared gelatin and add OJ concentrate and some milk ... that's my go-to recovery meal after strength training. With 5g of creatine.

Girl you got it down! I only make jello and marshmallows with the orange can, but with the green can i still pour boiled water over it and stir it to look clear. I felt it was bloating, and maybe even slowing my digestion, leaving it cloudy looking.

YamnayaMommy

I have created this thread because I get asked a lot about nettle, and how it restored my natural hair color. I have told of my good results, here and there on this forum, but now I want to talk about other factors that may have played a part in my results.

My first hearing about nettle having this magical ability was in my kitchen, overhearing my cousin talking about it. Someone accused him of dying his graying hair black, which he denied, and said nettle had reversed his gray. He said he read about a Chinese man going from totally gray to having naturally black hair again taking nettle. I looked it up and it was true, so I started taking nettle and it worked!

I have had a few advantages that may have given me a headstart. Number one I have never dyed my hair in all of my 58 years. I imagine reviving dead follicles is a bit tougher. First of all our hair has a short life and then it falls out and regenerates new hair. Those new hairs are the ones that have a better chance of growing in again with color. So don't lose hope young graying people! After I had taken the nettle for awhile, I could pull out a gray hair and see inches of new growth with color. Everyone I showed was amazed! The really thick stiff ones did not respond so I just pulled them out as I saw them disrupting my view in the mirror.

Secondly I am a pretty "happy go lucky" person so stress is not graying me in the least. I have seen a person go gray in a couple of years just going through the stress of a divorce. So turn on that happy music for your hair's sake!

Thirdly I am relatively grain free and not heavy on red meat, both of which Ray Peat says accelerates aging. I eat my copper via beef liver, which is also known to restore natural hair color, and get lots of other anti-aging nutrients eating shellfish. Now with that being said, my cousin who restored his natural hair color has always been overweight, eating an ordinary Western diet and his gray reversed in his middle 30's. Considering that, your mileage my vary.

Below are some of the reasons I have read that causes premature graying. I have attached a couple of pics of my hair at 58 years old. The side pic was from last year and the other was from March of this year. I will work on getting a more recent pic.

*Stress

*Anti-nutrients from grains, high iron foods like red meat and fortified cereals

* Dying & bleaching hair

* Protein & other nutritional deficiencies

*Thyroid & other disorders.

*Smoking

*Medications

Can you recommend a nettle product?

I am getting some grays and tweeze them. I've been trying to increase copper absorption by eating liver and seafood without vitamin C (which is supposedly a copper antagonist). So, for example, I'll pan fry liver and eat it with mushrooms (also high in copper) and honey, milk, and coffee. liver is surprisingly good if you dip it in honey. My two year old loves it this way.

YamnayaMommy

Girl you got it down! I only make jello and marshmallows with the orange can, but with the green can i still pour boiled water over it and stir it to look clear. I felt it was bloating, and maybe even slowing my digestion, leaving it cloudy looking.
I haven't tried the green can. I've heard people raise concerns that it didn't bloom--dissolve--properly that way, and that it could be constipating.

And I haven't tried marshmallows yet!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I haven't tried the green can. I've heard people raise concerns that it didn't bloom--dissolve--properly that way, and that it could be constipating.

And I haven't tried marshmallows yet!

The green can does not bloom and is more for easy dissolving. I usually put sugar and salt in it along with the boiling water to keep histamines from rising. About those marshmallows, they are starch free and are a good sweet snack on or to drop into hot coffee. I roll them in homemade starch free powdered sugar and other various toppings. I get a lot of
attention from children and adults bringing a plate of them to potlucks. I have had some adjusting to do getting this original recipe perfect, but here is my recipe for them!

Attachments

• 20210119_104302.jpg
    20210119_104302.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 20211021_201624.jpg
    20211021_201624.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 168
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hey R&R I always love your posts thanks!! Do you take a supplement(s) or the use the actual nettle leaves? If supplement which one and how much? I'm 63 so getting a lot of gray hair so would like to hear natural answers (would never dye - don't know how lol).

I am happy to hear you enjoy my ramblings about whatever! I use this brand and follow the directions. Later after taking it for awhile I discovered nettle makes a good antihistamine too. It got me off Claratin.

Attachments

• 20211021_202044.jpg
    20211021_202044.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 20211021_202059.jpg
    20211021_202059.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 200
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Can you recommend a nettle product?

I am getting some grays and tweeze them. I've been trying to increase copper absorption by eating liver and seafood without vitamin C (which is supposedly a copper antagonist). So, for example, I'll pan fry liver and eat it with mushrooms (also high in copper) and honey, milk, and coffee. liver is surprisingly good if you dip it in honey. My two year old loves it this way.

I love your sense of adventure with your food Yamnaya! I am the same way! I sneak braunschwaeger, which is 40% liver, into my families ground beef tacos, and they love it! I posted the brand of nettle i am using. Nettle is also high in vitamin K1 and I discovered this wonderful benefit....

"Nettle root or nettle leaves are often used to make prostate medication. Nettles contain compounds that act as natural estrogen blockers. Taking supplements can regulate production of the hormone."