The role of thymoquinone, a major constituent of Nigella sativa, in the treatment of inflammatory and infectious diseases

Jam

Abstract​

Nigella sativa (N. sativa) is an annual flowering plant that has been used as a traditional remedy for many centuries. The seed possesses a large variety of compounds with thymoquinone (TQ) considered its major but not sole bioactive constituent. Supercritical fluid extraction, geographical location, and oxidative status of N. sativa produces the highest yield of essential oil content including TQ. Thymoquinone is lipophilic, heat and light sensitive with low oral bioavailability and rapid elimination that have significantly inhibited its pharmacological development. Novel developments in nanoparticulate-based oral administration, nasal spray and transdermal delivery may allow the clinical development of N. sativa and TQ as therapeutic agents. Animal and human studies indicate a potential role of N. sativa seed oil and TQ for a diverse range of disease processes including hypertension, dyslipidaemia, type 2 diabetes mellitus, arthritis, asthma, bacterial and viral infections, neurological and dermatological disorders, as it belongs to the group of pan-assay interference compounds. This review outlines the pharmacological properties of N. sativa and TQ and their potential wide application for a large variety of human diseases. The paper will focus on recent studies of the anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties that make N. sativa and TQ promising therapeutic agents targeting contemporary inflammatory and infectious diseases including Covid 19.

pauljacob

It's a PUFA bomb and very little else. Most all studies of Nigela Sativa come from the Middle East, where the black cumin oil is promoted as a cure-all recommended by Muhammed. I tried a bottle in the early 90s, and it increased my visceral fat. It's 50% Linoleic Acid.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1civInhN0_M

StrongMom

It's a PUFA bomb and very little else. Most all studies of Nigela Sativa come from the Middle East, where the black cumin oil is promoted as a cure-all recommended by Muhammed. I tried a bottle in the early 90s, and it increased my visceral fat. It's 50% Linoleic Acid.

Would that apply to the spice (cumin) as well?

pauljacob

The brown cumin used in Asian curries and spice mixtures is different and safe. However, when used as supplement, 300 to 600 milligrams per day, researchers have found evidence that cumin suppresses testosterone levels, and may induce miscarriage.

J.R.K

This has been my number one concern regarding this potential prophylaxis for the spike protein transmission and prophylaxis for the SARS-CoV2 virus. It seems to have many potential benefits for prophylaxis but we all know that PUFA is dangerous in its own right.
That being said though I do have some seeds but I think that I might use them periodically with some aspirin or vitamin E to combat the PUFA in my personal experimentation.

OP
Jam

Jam

This has been discussed numerous times already. The amount of PUFA in 1/2 a teaspoon is negligible (and can be countered with some E, if required, to support mental health).

aliml

Black Seed - 'The Remedy for Everything but Death'​

J.R.K

This has been discussed numerous times already. The amount of PUFA in 1/2 a teaspoon is negligible (and can be countered with some E, if required, to support mental health).
Curious Jam, how much whole seed or oil would you use per day and how many times?

OP
Jam

Jam

Curious Jam, how much whole seed or oil would you use per day and how many times?
I've only used the Blessed Seed extra strong oil, half a ts per day, I wouldn't use more than that.

Dr. B

how much were you consuming? the capsules come in just 500mg, that shouldnt be causing any fat gain mate... actually plenty of people eat PUFA and are even lean, all these bodybuilders eating lots of peanut butter, fish oil, chicken breast... high pufa diets..

GTW

Reductionism is generally problematic.
Take the seed, ground up or added to food in cooking. Similarly milk thistle seed is a healthy spice to include in your diet.

shine

Who the f cares about the 200 mg of PUFA that you are ingesting with 2 grams of seeds..

Mauritio

Nigella sativa is surprisingly high up in that list.

In red are the drugs approved for covid in the US.

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_12c2bfb7...png

Charger

I tested positive for Covid on 1/11, Nigella Sativa I only used once but it did seem to have a beneficial effect on the fatigue I was feeling.

Can someone give me a quick TL;DR on why antiandrogens such as Finasteride and Spironolactone would be recommended effective treatment options for Covid? What's the MOA in this case?

@haidut @Hans

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals