The Role Of Dietary Creatine

paymanz

The role of dietary creatine. - PubMed - NCBI

The daily requirement of a 70-kg male for creatine is about 2 g; up to half of this may be obtained from a typical omnivorous diet, with the remainder being synthesized in the body Creatine is a carninutrient, which means that it is only available to adults via animal foodstuffs, principally skeletal muscle, or via supplements. Infants receive creatine in mother's milk or in milk-based formulas. Vegans and infants fed on soy-based formulas receive no dietary creatine. Plasma and muscle creatine levels are usually somewhat lower in vegetarians than in omnivores. Human intake of creatine was probably much higher in Paleolithic times than today; some groups with extreme diets, such as Greenland and Alaskan Inuit, ingest much more than is currently typical. Creatine is synthesized from three amino acids: arginine, glycine and methionine (as S-adenosylmethionine). Humans can synthesize sufficient creatine for normal function unless they have an inborn error in a creatine-synthetic enzyme or a problem with the supply of substrate amino acids. Carnivorous animals, such as lions and wolves, ingest much larger amounts of creatine than humans would. The gastrointestinal tract and the liver are exposed to dietary creatine in higher concentrations before it is assimilated by other tissues. In this regard, our observations that creatine supplementation can prevent hepatic steatosis (Deminice et al. J Nutr 141:1799-1804, 2011) in a rodent model may be a function of the route of dietary assimilation. Creatine supplementation has also been reported to improve the intestinal barrier function of the rodent suffering from inflammatory bowel disease.

Intestinal epithelial cells are held together by tight and
adherens junctions in the apical junctional complex (Ivanov
et al. 2010). These structures are in close contact with the
F-actin filaments of the cytoskeleton, and ATP hydrolysis
is involved in their maintenance (Ivanov et al. 2010). These
structures are illustrated in Fig. 2. In inflammatory states,
the barrier function of the apical junction is disordered:
intestinal epithelial cells are exposed to a hypoxic environ-
ment. Hypoxia-inducible transcription factors (HIFs) are
activated in hypoxic situations. In the case of inflammatory
bowel disease, HIF upregulates genes for creatine kinase
and creatine supplementation in mouse colitis models has
been shown to attenuate the inflammatory response (Glover
et al. 2013). This may have clinical consequences, since
chronic inflammation associated with intestinal colitis is a
major risk factor for colitis-associated colon cancer. Thus,
these observations provide a compelling argument for cre-
atine supplementation as an adjuvant therapy to promote
epithelial restitution and ameliorate mucosal inflammation
via enhanced cellular energetics of intestinal epithelial cells
(Glover et al. 2013).

Last edited:
I tried it sometime in my life

I will talk about my experience seriously

Creatine makes me stronger so I can lift heavier
But calmer and more stupid in work , study and life

Creatine gives a real puffy face

I love it so much
But
I don't like puffy feeling

Amazoniac

Effects of dietary creatine supplementation on systemic microvascular density and reactivity in healthy young adults

"CrS [creatine supplementation] has antioxidant and cytoprotective activities [2] that, combined with the ability to restore intracellular energy levels, have also led to the introduction of this practice in therapies for the management of cardiovascular, neurologic, metabolic and muscle disorders [38].

In pathophysiological states wherein the intracellular levels of creatine are reduced, CrS has been shown to exert important neuromodulatory action contributing to the treatment of anxiety disorders and schizophrenia and potentially to the prevention of Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and Huntington’s diseases [4].

Similarly, CrS has been used to treat muscular dystrophy and the idiopathic inflammatory myopathies in skeletal muscle diseases [3], to improve sarcolemma stabilization, arrhythmia frequency and contractile function in myocardium [7] and, in association with physical exercise, to increase glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus [9]."

"it has been shown that CrS can increase mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation [39] as well as glucose oxidation in skeletal muscle [38, 40] and to stimulate 5' AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) [38, 41], contributing to cellular adaptations that enhance energy production."

"our results showed that CrS reduces tissue conversion of T4 to T3, which occurs predominantly in the kidneys and skeletal muscle through the action of the type 2 deiodinase enzyme [43]. Because the conversion of T4 to T3 requires energy and considering that increases in the Cr/PCr ratio signals tissue energy depletion, it is possible that changes in the plasma levels of thyroid hormones resulted from the CrS. Because glucose transporter type 4 (GLUT-4) synthesis is T3 dependent, this result would explain why CrS was not able to increase intramuscular glucose uptake, even if it might have activated AMPK, as demonstrated in a previous study [38]. In this regard, there is evidence that creatine increases membrane GLUT-4 translocation in skeletal muscle fibers [9].

Although energy overload can increase T3 availability [44], low energy levels represented by a high Cr/PCr ratio might signal the reduction of type 2 deiodinase activity in the kidneys and skeletal muscle, leading to a reduced conversion of T4 to T3 in those tissues [45]. Alternatively, because intramuscular creatine transport is an ATP-dependent process [46], it is possible that the increases in the intracellular creatine flow might have reduced ATP availability for T4 transport.

The conceivable reductions in type 2 deiodinase activity and T3 levels in skeletal muscle might have contributed to the elevated serum CK levels [47] observed in our study after a week of CrS. Alternatively, the increases in intracellular osmolarity produced by CrS might have contributed to muscle fiber disruption and CK release into the blood [1]. In this sense, it has been clearly demonstrated that reductions in plasma levels of T3, occurring in clinical and subclinical hypothyroidism, affects skeletal muscle, increasing membrane permeability to CK and thus resulting in increases of the plasma concentrations of the enzyme [48, 49]."

"It is also possible that the T3 reduction found in our study represents a mechanism that acts to limit creatine transport that might produce irreversible cellular osmotic damage. Thus, it is possible that excessive increases in creatine supply contributes to a compensatory reduction in T3 synthesis by decreasing the activity of the type 2 deiodinase in tissues such as the kidneys and skeletal muscle, explaining increased plasma CK levels [52]."

"In our study, a week of CrS significantly increased creatinine and CK plasma levels, and simultaneously reduced globulins and T3 plasma levels, mimicking a condition that characterizes impaired renal function [53]. Understanding that CrS may contribute to renal dysfunction misdiagnosis because moderate increases of creatinine levels are to be expected [54, 55], evidence indicates that creatine supplementation would overload kidney function [1, 56]. Although several studies ensure the safety of CrS [5761], even in individuals at risk for kidney disease, daily doses of 20 g were associated with the formation of carcinogenic heterocyclic amines and to deleterious molecules such as methylamine and formaldehyde that promote cross-linkage between proteins and DNA damage-induced changes to renal structures [62, 63]. Because most studies that have attested to CrS safety were performed in association with physical exercise, it is possible that the deleterious effects on renal function are observed only among individuals who are not enrolled in well-controlled exercise training programs, as was the case in our sample. In fact, it has been shown that CrS in rats produces deleterious renal effects in sedentary animals but is safe in those maintained on regular physical training [64]."

"even small alterations of plasma concentrations of the thyroid hormones indicate that creatine supplementation might influence thyroid metabolism. Considering the widespread use of creatine supplementation by athletes and also by non-athletes in fitness centers, one must be cautious in the association of the creatine supplementation with drugs that potentially interfere with thyroid metabolism such as drugs acting in the central nervous system (carbamazepine, lithium) and steroid hormones (glucocorticoids) [68, 69]."​

I don't think this occurs on low doses (gurus were given 20g a day divided in 4 doses). The standard 2-3g dose divided in two is a reasonable approach that might prevent problems related to energy depletion and compensation.

Amazoniac

ddjd

Creatine supplementation is quite peaty in the sense that 80% of Methylation requirements go towards producing creatine. Peat has spoken many times about how it's important to minimise Methylation.

So creatine effectively reduces need for methylation

OP
P

paymanz

Creatine supplementation is quite peaty in the sense that 80% of Methylation requirements go towards producing creatine. Peat has spoken many times about how it's important to minimise Methylation.

So creatine effectively reduces need for methylation
My understanding is that his concern mostly is over methylation of dna.

ddjd

My understanding is that his concern mostly is over methylation of dna.
Basically he means taking methyl b12 or any of the methyls like methyl Folate or SAMe etc is not good. Increasing methylation is not good . Taking Creatine reduces the body's need to methylate

OP
P

paymanz

Basically he means taking methyl b12 or any of the methyls like methyl Folate or SAMe etc is not good. Increasing methylation is not good . Taking Creatine reduces the body's need to methylate
But taking creatine would make methyl donors more available for other methylation processes.

OP
P

paymanz

And 80% is huge, i would like to see refrences for this ,thats interesting.

griesburner

i am very impressed by creatine. everytime i took a small amount i felt instant energy and i felt more warm etc. way more impressive effects compared to other atp enhancing supps like inosine for example. So i would like to take it on a regular basis but then theres always some negative statements in the back of my head like this:

Dubious Effects of Creatine on Markers of CNS Adaptation and Heart Health in "Bodybuilders" - Reason to Be Afraid? - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

and some other heart related things you read when u research it more. Do you think this negative things appear only with the high dosages used typically by bodybuilders? So a small amount like mentioned aboth 1-2 gram two times a day would be safe?

jet9

I tried it sometime in my life

I will talk about my experience seriously

Creatine makes me stronger so I can lift heavier
But calmer and more stupid in work , study and life

Creatine gives a real puffy face

I love it so much
But
I don't like puffy feeling
interesting experience. What supplements/dietary tools give you in work , study and life ?

ShotTrue

i am very impressed by creatine. everytime i took a small amount i felt instant energy and i felt more warm etc. way more impressive effects compared to other atp enhancing supps like inosine for example. So i would like to take it on a regular basis but then theres always some negative statements in the back of my head like this:

Dubious Effects of Creatine on Markers of CNS Adaptation and Heart Health in "Bodybuilders" - Reason to Be Afraid? - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

and some other heart related things you read when u research it more. Do you think this negative things appear only with the high dosages used typically by bodybuilders? So a small amount like mentioned aboth 1-2 gram two times a day would be safe?
Creatine has something to do with phosphorous which can speed up calcification if susceptible

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals