The Relationship Of Fluoride Exposure, The Pineal Gland And Sleep In Adolescents

burtlancast

Fluoride Exposure, The Pineal Gland And Sleep - You Are The Healer

"Recently, new research studied the affect of fluoride exposure on adolescents and their sleep patterns and sleepiness. It was found that fluoride exposure (measured in water and blood plasma) may contribute to changes in the sleep cycle and sleep behaviors of adolscents (16-19 years old). Those with increased fluoride in their drinking water were more likely to report symptoms suggestive of sleep apnea, they went to bed later, and awoke later, and were more likely to snore (males), than the adolescents who had less fluoride in their drinking water.

These researchers studied sleep in adoscents because a 2006 National Research Council report found fluoride is likely to affect the pineal gland funtion and decrease melatonin production. We also know that fluoride accumulates in the pineal gland and appears to be associated with pineal gland calcification. There has been research on the negative affect of fluoride on the IQ of children, but nothing on the affect of fluoride in relationship to the pineal gland, its hormone melatonin, and sleep regulation in children or adolescents.

This new research gives us an indication that the effect of fluoride may be decreasing melatonin and effecting sleep in adolescents."

Fluoride Exposure Linked to Changes in Sleep Cycle, Study Suggests
"Fluoride from environmental sources accumulates preferentially in the pineal gland which produces melatonin, the hormone that regulates the sleep-wake cycle. However, the effects of fluoride on sleep regulation remain unknown."

Last edited:

ursidae

I was given fluoride as a kid and developed insomnia that tortured me for years. Sometimes it took up to 6 hours to fall asleep. Family members accused me of being neurotic for not falling asleep and lazy for waking up late :hairpull

How do you reverse the damage?

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

How do you reverse the damage?

Both magnesium and iodine displace fluoride.

I believe iodine will for a good beginning lower the body pool of fluoride and bromide.

Then magnesium, by his calcium solubilizing effect, could reverse to a degree the calcification of the pinneal gland, restoring the normal production of melatonin.

I've already mentioned in my threads about iodine that it has cured decades-long, intractable delayed sleep phase syndrome in people.

It's also famous for improving sleep quality.

Last edited:

ursidae

Both magnesium and iodine displace fluoride.

I believe iodine will for a good beginning lower the body pool of fluoride and bromide.

Then magnesium, by his calcium solubilizing effect, could reverse to a degree the calcification of the pinneal gland, restoring the normal production of melatonin.

I've already mentioned in my threads about iodine that it has cured decades-long, intractable delayed sleep phase syndrome in people.

It's also famous for improving sleep quality.
They don’t sell Lugol’s here but I can have it custom made. I’m cautious about iodine because I’m hypo with a nodule on my thyroid. What is the safest (minimum) concentration to start with?

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

They don’t sell Lugol’s here but I can have it custom made. I’m cautious about iodine because I’m hypo with a nodule on my thyroid. What is the safest (minimum) concentration to start with?

13 mg per day.

That is the steady state where the supply equal the losses.

YourUniverse

Ray has a bit of a nuanced opinion on iodine. There is definitely more than what I'll share here, but this is probably worth reading:

Ray Peat On Iodine

'Is iodine supplementation safe and, if not, is there a safe amount of supplemental iodine?

Dr. Peat: “A dosage of 150 mcg (micrograms, not milligrams, e.g. ug not mg) is a safe amount of iodine. My current newsletter has some references describing the effect of even moderate iodine excess (even below a milligram per day) on the thyroid. An iodine deficiency can cause hypothyroidism (rare now), but so can an excess. Most goiters now are from estrogen-like effects, but they used to be from iodine deficiency. Chronic excess iodine tends to cause thyroiditis, regardless of the gland's size.
The amounts used by Abraham and Flechas are much larger than this – very toxic doses, enough to cause severe thyroid problems. “'

'Iodine toxicity References
Re the urinary iodine test, it’s one of the big cults going around lately, telling people they should be saturated with iodine. Iodine reacts easily with toxic PUFA (omega-3 and -6 oils) to make antithyroid molecules.'

Iodine Content of Milk and Other Foods - PubMed

A litre of milk has (most likely, depending on source, brand etc) between 200 and 500 micrograms of iodine

Last edited:

Jib

I've gone on and off with Lugol's 7% solution. I forget how many mg there are in a drop of that stuff. 3-4mg or something like that.

In general I've felt better taking at least a drop a day. I stopped due to fear that iodine could damage the thyroid. It's hotly debated. This kind of makes me want to resume. Tons of reports of people having issues with it, and tons of reports of people feeling 100% with it. Complicated, like everything else.

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

Ray has a bit of a nuanced opinion on iodine.

Ray refuses to look at the iodine amounts ingested by Japanese people over their lifetimes, then check the statistics of thyroid diseases in Japan (the're lower than in Western countries).

Jib

Ray refuses to look at the iodine amounts ingested by Japanese people over their lifetimes, then check the statistics of thyroid diseases in Japan (the're lower than in Western countries).

It seems so. They ingest very large amounts. Do you have any opinions about seaweed vs. a supplement like Lugol's?

I still have a half full bottle of 7% Lugol's. I did seem to feel better taking it regularly, so maybe I'll try that again. A few drops would get me around 12mg or so. Would you advise spreading a dose out throughout the day or does it not matter? I believe I've heard of daily ingestion in some cultures around 15mg causing absolutely no issues whatsoever. If I'm not mistaken Japan might be at the forefront of an intake like that, with all the seaweed and seafood they consume.

Really love Ray and his work but it is important to remember none of us is infallible. We're all gonna die of something someday anyway, might as well experiment. I've already had massive exposure to mercury both from having 8 giant mercury fillings (one in each molar) and then having them removed at a regular dentist who didn't use any dam/air evac -- absolutely NOTHING -- while drilling them out before re-filling them, probably with a BPA laden composite. Oh well. I ain't afraid of a little Lugol's, would be interesting to see if it helps me feel better again. Been pretty sluggish lately and have had a very hard time recovering from workouts.

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

It seems so. They ingest very large amounts. Do you have any opinions about seaweed vs. a supplement like Lugol's?

There's no direct way i know of to allow you to measure the iodine content of the seaweed you buy: so Lugol's iodine is definitely easier and safer to supplement.

Jib

There's no direct way i know of to allow you to measure the iodine content of the seaweed you buy: so Lugol's iodine is definitely easier and safer to supplement.

Gonna try it again. Seemed to work out well in the past. I've been having energy drinks once in a while, will try adding Lugol's and methylene blue to that. Already doing 1-3mg of methylene blue, 1-3 drops Lugol's should do it. Thanks for bringing all this up again. I do remember Lugol's helping me a lot in the past and I just let fear mongering get the best of me.

What do you think of thyroid testing? I've been thinking of getting a panel done. People are very afraid of high dose iodine but I'd imagine if it was that bad something would show up in a test.

CLASH

@burtlancast
I purchased potassium Iodine from whole foods to try. After taking 50mcg a day for a few days I felt absolutely terrible. Induced depression and joint pain for me. Any reason why?

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

@burtlancast
I purchased potassium Iodine from whole foods to try. After taking 50mcg a day for a few days I felt absolutely terrible. Induced depression and joint pain for me. Any reason why?

Fluoride detox !

Read Guy Abraham's papers: any dose above 15 mg will induce within 24 hours a 20 fold increase in (urinary) fluoride excretion.

Lower the dose to 20 mg for about 10 days. Add some selenium supplements.

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

Iodine content in different seaweed species

Kombu is high in iodine, other seaweeds are pretty low. I have heard that heating above 155F or so can destroy the iodine in Kombu broths. Not sure if true, or the exact temp.

It's very similar to the problem of supplementing selenium with Brazil's nuts: you never know the selenium content because it varies with the location the nuts grew from.

So it's extremely impractical, as selenium over-dosage isn't something you want to play with.

ursidae

13 mg per day.

That is the steady state where the supply equal the losses.
Sorry to bother you again but is the patch test a good measure iodine of sufficiency? I applied some 7 hours ago and it’s faded quite a bit. I eat a lot of seafood but considering there’s dental fluorosis it could be a more severe case. I found a protocol that included additional supplementation with selenium, magnesium, vitamin c, atp cofactors and salt. Is supplementing all that really necessary?

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

Sorry to bother you again but is the patch test a good measure iodine of sufficiency? I applied some 7 hours ago and it’s faded quite a bit. I eat a lot of seafood but considering there’s dental fluorosis it could be a more severe case. I found a protocol that included additional supplementation with selenium, magnesium, vitamin c, atp cofactors and salt. Is supplementing all that really necessary?

As written in Guy Abraham's papers, the iodine patch test is totally useless; only the 24 h urinary iodine excretion test can evaluate one's iodine status. Magnesium, and selenium (and Vit C to a degree) are necessary.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals