The Real Cause Of Addiction - Loneliness / Desperation

haidut

Forum Supporter
The article is essentially a more official admission of the findings of the Rat Park Experiment, backing it up by some other study findings. I think the truth is slowly starting to come out, but the problem is that as the author says our society is virtually designed to ensure loneliness, desperation, and stress. So, undoing the mess will not be easy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann-ha ... 06936.html

burtlancast

Great read.

It also exemplifies how a scientific study can easily be rigged to obtain the desired final result.

LucyL

It seems quite likely then that the internet will be cutting heavily into the narcotic dealers profits. Question is, will the real end of the drug war be recorded for history, or will it be crafted by the losers?

tara

LucyL said:
It seems quite likely then that the internet will be cutting heavily into the narcotic dealers profits. Question is, will the real end of the drug war be recorded for history, or will it be crafted by the losers?
That would be a nice thought, but I have my doubts.
The Internet does not always foster the kind of in person interaction that is also needed to combat loneliness. Sometimes, for some people, the Internet can displace real life closeness.
I don't yet see any evidence of decrease in drug demand as people spend more and more time electronically connected. I'm not watching closely, just keep hearing reports of record busts from time to time.

tara

Heard of HALT triggers for relapse? Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired.

sm1693

This study is good proof as to why Ray talks about intelligence connected with isolation in this:

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/intelligence.shtml

Perhaps this study is also a good explanation of the success of raypeatforum.com; to understand RP's dietary principles enough to practice them and make course corrections requires a high degree of intelligence.

So, if we (forum members) are united by extremely high intelligence, then it may also follow suit that we are all also generally quite isolated from others by this very intelligence (I personally feel this way, though I realize the immodesty of accusing myself of intelligence).

HERE, we find connection, and it is this connection that keeps us coming back and contributing, learning, and further developing the collective knowledge pool. Here, I get the feeling of being on a ship moving thru the water heading for some destination, far, but within reach.

If only we all lived in the same small town somewhere and could get more than the internet's superficial feeling of connection... that would be a hell of a town.

fyo

Rather than loneliness, I would say 'stress' itself inspires addiction, in which the animal seeks 'boosters' to overcome the stressor. Stress itself could be seen as a sort of 'booster', sacrificing the animals structure (and long-term wellbeing) for the sake of more energy in the present, which is also pretty much how a drug like heroin is perceived (short-term feel-good at the cost of long-term wellbeing).

Loneliness is but one (of many) sort of stressor.
Social comfort/acceptance is also a very good stress-reliever.

Amazoniac

Interesting how the book from the author has some negative reviews on Amazon. I have the impression that he was misinterpreted in those cases, when people write that being happy is the ultimate cure for addiction, rather than acknowledge that the environment can shape our behaviour.

And thank you for the link Haidut!

lindsay

this is really interesting. thank you for sharing!

Ben

I agree, but this is not new information to me or science. People try to repress pain through activating the left hemisphere, which is involved in causing obsessions and ritualized behavior in this case. The right hemisphere is activated with emotional pain and by activating the left hemisphere, they repress it. My personal theory is that it also activates the positive portion of the amygdala, but through logic, the left hemisphere, thus repressing the portions in the right amygdala which cause negative emotions.

Psychedelics work WONDERFUL for addictions, and their effectiveness for drug addiction is well proven. They amplify the amygdala and right hemisphere, therefore there is no more effective class of drugs or therapy for addictions. For me, a huge dose of acid actually brought out my emotions to the extent that I no longer feel the pull to masturbate. I usually felt an urge when I felt excited or nervous, but now I know to deal with the emotions directly.

I became SPONTANEOUSLY CELIBATE from the trip. If I am curious, I have the ability to masturbate many times like before, but I no longer feel an urge to. Sexual emotions are dealt with in the moment so they do not leave sexual tension that will lead to masturbation.

I recommend psychedelics to EVERYONE. Even though I had a spiritual awakening over the summer, acid STILL had an enormously therapeutic effect. I have dreamed for almost half of my life of quitting masturbation, and here I am, not having an urge AT ALL to masturbate, while possessing the ability to orgasm many times in an hour. I'm so happy about that.

One of my life goals is to promote medical usage of LSD. If the therapy is common, then it will have a DRAMATIC effect on society, reducing crime rate, drug and alcohol use, helping to collapse consumerism, etc. And bad trips are usually more therapeutic than good ones. Psychiatrists just need to be taught to hug and show affection toward people. People feel lonely (as you said) and a friend makes a bad trip much easier to go through. Bad trips are NECESSARY AND GOOD because they release the emotion which has been repressed by the person.

Curt :-)

@Ben, you're spot on about LSD. I would never have tried it if it wasn't for Ray's article about it, and I'm so incredibly glad I did. It's such a shame that so many people are completely closed off to the idea because of what they think they know about it. And of course, if you start singing the praises of the spirit molecule, you'll swiftly be pigeon-holed as a hippy nut.

Shrooms and MDMA are also very enlightening. From a Peaty perspective, I've not had any ill effects from these drugs; no serotonin syndrome, no crashed temps, etc, as opposed to alcohol. Though I should mention that I think the crash in metabolism from getting drunk is largely from excess liquid consumption, as I have compared the same amount of standard drinks from straight spirits and beer and found beer much worse (though there is concern that the hops plant itself is particularly estrogenic).

shepherdpeak

I agree that the effects of LSD can be rewarding in some cases like ben said, but there it can very easily get out of hand, like in cases of dual diagnosis where most addicts lose control of the secondary drug because of the relief they find in it. What is to be noted here is that most addicts do not realize that they have an addiction until they totally lose control of their addiction.

I stopped all drug use after rehab, and that is what I would advise you too. If you’re in the US, go to the Addicted.org directory (http://www.addicted.org/directory.html ), and if you are anywhere in Canada, head over to Canada Rehab Reviews ( http://canadarehabreviews.com ), find a rehab at a good addiction treatment center nearby, and get rid of your addiction. Drug usage is not worth it brother.

pboy

I don't actually think this is the case, 'addiction' is caused by lonliness...desperation? yea probably that more so. It depends on the substance...many things people talk mess about that people are 'addicted' to are actually beneficial substances without many side effects so its actually stupid not to use them if you are coming with the right mindset about it. Stimulant addiction is actually a personal issue, in terms of like xanthine stimulants and stronger stimulants. Alcohol id say also. Basically if you lack faith, trust, and resolve, and/or have a bad diet, you'll always wanna like 'FORCE' and PUSH your way through things, and 'FIGHT' but its nothing but a Chinese finger trap, life is a beautiful art...many people who use stimulants all the time, don't want to look within at how their own sin might be becknoning bad situations and experiences upon themselves, they're full of ego ***t and lack of compassion, even to themselves but mostly others, so they instead go on the route of trying to be the one who has more power, which inevitably is backfiring the entire time. Alcohol, it depends, some really good spiritual people use it for its entheogenic reasons, I know this is why I used to drink, though most people use it to hide their lack of personality, grotesqueness, and use it in a way similar to a stimulant...to do things they normally feel guilty or unconfident about and to kinda just force unnatural situations, whether it be for sex or to do things like work for a job they hate, ect ect, ignoring the pursuit of actualy harmony and higher orchestration of life, and becoming worthy and getting into the flow of that with trust. Its really lack of compassion and faith that cause people to use such things in a gouging manner like they do. Once you are a really worthy person, you never need stimulants because you live in grace, and are intelligent enough to be in certain positions in life to not require them out of intelligence and compassion, and if something does come test your boundaries, you'll naturally have a large adrenaline response that's under control, subsides when threat is gone, and all that, not an artificial poisoned stimulation. Ultimately alcohol, if one is using it for the sake of to feel a spirit within themselves, but because it ultimately hurts yourself too, one will realize this and seek a more pure way for this to happen. Tobacco is actually just beneficial, in a pure way, has no side effects, so its kinda just silly not to use it in its pure form...people chain smoking are clearly using it as a constipative relief tool but with clearly no avail, because they are so full of it for various reasons its ineffective, or only partially so. Cannabis is the ultimate bastion of faith in a discompassionate, fake, pretty awful society and world, so again, and it has no side effects, in that sense its the best friend of actual good people. Lotta people abuse it because they are in chronic pain, which is self induced, and use it to mask more like an opiate rather than as a true entheogen...in which case its wrong and just constipates them worse. its easy to judge that. Things like mushrooms and LSD like...I don't really know, some people use them just as an escape and thrill but usually those are the people that have bad trips, if you use it to cover or escape a sinful induced bad state, and don't continue its use. People who are using as a true entheogen rarely need to use them more than a few times a year or even a few times in a life time. You cant just narrowly limit these various substances into a lump category. Even the idea of 'addiction' is just a label created by self righteous people who are incredibly ignorant. It takes a certain master of a person, with experience, coming from a certain place, to even be able to tell what is really actually going on with a person and why and how they do all they do. If anything, commercial dairy products are addictive also, and people who eat meat, in the sense its clearly majorly fcked up to partake in the practices that go on behind the scenes but don't have the courage or soul to try to find an alternate way. Eating meat is a million times worse and more of an addiction than smoking tobacco. There was a study that showed vegan smokers had only like a few % increase of risk of lung or heart disease, and this was commercial cigarettes, and only in people eating the typical SAD meat diets had the 50%+ increase in risk of all those diseases...and that's telling, because commercial cigarettes are pretty haneous. Supposedly eating one egg a day increased risk of heart disease as bad as like multiple cigarettes a day (of course you have to actually have a population who doesn't eat eggs to test this on...the studies say eggs don't increase risks of disease are comparing it to regular people who do all the other typical American stuff like live under stress as an ignorant person, eat factory farmed and toxic products, use medical procedures and chemicals, bathe in chemicals, ect ect). People use labels and wanna point the finger at others sucha as saying they are 'addicted' really just as a self righteous way to ignore their own ignorance and sin, to be honest. If you actually get real, its incredibly easy to see. If supposed 'addicts' have 'trouble fitting in in society or holding a job' maybe its because they are decent people and realize how fkced up most jobs are, but of course the people who blindly partake in such things aren't going to admit that. You could take any 'addict' and say, look, come live on this organic fruit farm or rice farm or something with these nice native people, you'll get a good wage and be left alone, and still be able to come and go as you please, and they'd for sure take the job. They usually just don't wanna be surrounded by PoS all day and doing some mundane thing being treated like a slave or feeling bad about what they have to do all day

no matter what the 'addiction' is, I never judge people harshly, or much at all, because life is pretty much a very uphill battle in many senses and seeing people suffer is kinda just as bad as anything, its really just when people seem heartless that's when I lose respect, or lack courage

in life there is always 2 aspects to everything, the technical physical/chemical aspect, and then the karmic aspect...everything has both energies and both matter, everything

4peatssake

Addiction is perfectly normal in a deranged culture.
It's an adaptive response to it.

Then there's the opposite side of the schtick: Such's dragnet dude. :ss

pboy

totally agree...I also think a lot of times substances become a useful tool for people to meet up and have social relationships...that without, would just be really stale and not much would probably happen...which kinda correlates back to its just a lack of personality issue. Its hard because to have a real personality in this society, it actually takes on some level, the acknowledgement of the major faults of it and how much is just glossed over and faked through and stuff. Even if you have a talent and are considered somewhat successful at it, if you still just kinda float or fight through life, and accept it as is, theres gonna be personality issues that make those p eople prone to the same things as everyone else. I find it astounding how limited and narrow peoples actual developed awareness, spirit, and personalities are...its like everyone has to only talk about certain things and in a certain way, going out on a limb and being real, which is being unique, terrifies people. I noticed a long time ago that most adults of all walks and ranks are really, when judging them for their true personality, have never really developed much at all past the toddler stage of development in most ways, and this is because of the extreme authoritative culture filled with fear at every turn, its like its quietly engraved

I want to point out it's narouz who posted that stuff first, I'm innocent.

mujuro

Ben said:
I agree, but this is not new information to me or science. People try to repress pain through activating the left hemisphere, which is involved in causing obsessions and ritualized behavior in this case. The right hemisphere is activated with emotional pain and by activating the left hemisphere, they repress it. My personal theory is that it also activates the positive portion of the amygdala, but through logic, the left hemisphere, thus repressing the portions in the right amygdala which cause negative emotions.

Psychedelics work WONDERFUL for addictions, and their effectiveness for drug addiction is well proven. They amplify the amygdala and right hemisphere, therefore there is no more effective class of drugs or therapy for addictions. For me, a huge dose of acid actually brought out my emotions to the extent that I no longer feel the pull to masturbate. I usually felt an urge when I felt excited or nervous, but now I know to deal with the emotions directly.

I became SPONTANEOUSLY CELIBATE from the trip. If I am curious, I have the ability to masturbate many times like before, but I no longer feel an urge to. Sexual emotions are dealt with in the moment so they do not leave sexual tension that will lead to masturbation.

I recommend psychedelics to EVERYONE. Even though I had a spiritual awakening over the summer, acid STILL had an enormously therapeutic effect. I have dreamed for almost half of my life of quitting masturbation, and here I am, not having an urge AT ALL to masturbate, while possessing the ability to orgasm many times in an hour. I'm so happy about that.

One of my life goals is to promote medical usage of LSD. If the therapy is common, then it will have a DRAMATIC effect on society, reducing crime rate, drug and alcohol use, helping to collapse consumerism, etc. And bad trips are usually more therapeutic than good ones. Psychiatrists just need to be taught to hug and show affection toward people. People feel lonely (as you said) and a friend makes a bad trip much easier to go through. Bad trips are NECESSARY AND GOOD because they release the emotion which has been repressed by the person.

I have 500mg of DMT in my bedroom wardrobe. Too strong for a newbie?