The Ray Peat Of Physics Or Economics

sle07

naugyanks said:
post 118699 Hey everyone,
Merry 2016. So it took me years of reading (and largely believing) dog s*** nutrition articles before finding the brilliance of Ray Peat and others like Roddy and Kim who have a concept of nutrition/medicine/health that actually makes sense. I've recently developed an interest in physics and economics and I was wondering if anyone here with similar interests has found any writers they like for either of these fields. I suspect it might take me years of reading to find very quality people in these fields like it took to find Peat and so I'm trying to save myself some time, if I can, by asking the smart folks here. I know Ray will occasionally write/speak about physics and economics so links to that stuff would also be cool. Thanks.

I believe the best economic system for an individual to be free to "perceive, think, act" in accordance with their own "guidance system" would be laissez-faire capitalism. I think Milton Friedman's book/series "Free To Choose" makes a compelling case for this. It was available on youtube not too long ago.

Just my :2cents

Edit: I would second the Ludwig von Mises suggestion as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

GAF

Michael Hudson is super on history of debt and the evils of debt slavery and interest (usury). The miracle of compound interest always fails eventually...

bobbybobbob

Hugh Johnson said:
post 118846 There is a reason Peat does not like capitalism.

The word "capitalism" is deeply problematic. Karl Marx invented it. The minute people start talking about "capitalism" they are viewing the world through a Marxist lens, with its fixations on class warfare. The voluntary pooling of resources to embark on profit seeking ventures is something humans have done for tens of thousands of years. Laissez-faire policy and the free market have nothing to do with capitalism as Marx construed the term, nor the corporatist economic system we inhabit today in the west.

I didn't follow the links but the excerpts above about how a truly free society inevitably curbs social degeneracy sounds great to me. I think the quotes are supposed to be scary but I'm not sure how.

OP
N

naugyanks

Thank you everyone. StessedMom, I'm interested in playing the stock market, that's one thing. I'd also just like to understand how everything functions in general. It seems like very few people can predict when the market will go through one of its collapses, which makes me think its either incredibly complex or most people don't understand how things work. My knowledge of economics at the moment is squat though so I can't make an intelligent statement about what subject I want to know about.

StrongMom

naugyanks said:
post 119224 Thank you everyone. StessedMom, I'm interested in playing the stock market, that's one thing. I'd also just like to understand how everything functions in general. It seems like very few people can predict when the market will go through one of its collapses, which makes me think its either incredibly complex or most people don't understand how things work. My knowledge of economics at the moment is squat though so I can't make an intelligent statement about what subject I want to know about.

I think you are looking for a macroeconomics book. A good macroeconomics book should start by understanding/modeling economic agents; i.e., households, firms, governemnt, etc, rather than giving you equtions, curves, etc. The interactions of those agents determine the outcome in an economy. If you do not understand their behavior you can easily come to wrong conclusions. I will think about a book, nothing comes to my mind.

I have a PhD in economics and work in the financial industry but still cannot predict the turns in the markets. In general, the market can go overextended for while until a data point/event triggers a turn. In the medium run, though, it tends to follow the fundamentals.

DaveFoster

brumpfschmlog said:
"the market" is criminogenic.
bull****. Humans are "criminogenic." The market is just an environment that allows for free choice.

heartnhands

Hey everyone,
Merry 2016. So it took me years of reading (and largely believing) dog **** nutrition articles before finding the brilliance of Ray Peat and others like Roddy and Kim who have a concept of nutrition/medicine/health that actually makes sense. I've recently developed an interest in physics and economics and I was wondering if anyone here with similar interests has found any writers they like for either of these fields. I suspect it might take me years of reading to find very quality people in these fields like it took to find Peat and so I'm trying to save myself some time, if I can, by asking the smart folks here. I know Ray will occasionally write/speak about physics and economics so links to that stuff would also be cool. Thanks.
In the same vein Joseph Stiglitz and Lori Wallach from Ralph Nader's group, Public Cotizen" are among my working trustables. Clearly Ralph Nader begins with the rights of the individual and that is the power pseudo royals ALWAYS seek to deminish.

Thank you everyone. StessedMom, I'm interested in playing the stock market, that's one thing. I'd also just like to understand how everything functions in general. It seems like very few people can predict when the market will go through one of its collapses, which makes me think its either incredibly complex or most people don't understand how things work. My knowledge of economics at the moment is squat though so I can't make an intelligent statement about what subject I want to know about.

It's a rigged system. The collapses and bubbles are controlled by a secret cabal of very wealthy men and foundations.

Economics doesn't make sense because it doesn't live in the real world.

In the real world, the money supply for all but 3 countries is controlled by a central bank which lends the money to the government with interest and which can control inflation and deflation by increasing or decreasing the money supply.

In the real world, there are no rational, independent consumers. People's wants and needs are fed to them via, advertisement, entertainment, and social conditioning.

A good economist to me would be more of a social pathologist.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals