The psychology of compulsive supplementation

OccamzRazer

Neither a psychologist nor a supplement expert, and the following thoughts are a little oversimplified...but this is something I've noticed a lot around here:

Most people seem like they'd rather take a supplement than address the mental, spiritual, and chemical factors that made them feel the need for supplements in the first place.

For example,

- People would rather take exogenous testosterone or youth-associated hormones than boost their production with sunlight, thyroid, training stimulus, etc.
- People would rather take a supplement for circulation than simply promote circulation mechanically (thru spinning, yoga, inversion, warmth, etc)
- People would rather take all sorts of chelating supplements than just fast for a few days and let the liver detox that way

To summarize, many seem to prefer taking expensive, exogenous substances...

...instead of coaxing their body into producing the endogenous substances it needs.

This seems to have led to a mental framework that's resistant to many time-tested, simple, and free remedies. Things like the following:

- Short-term fasting
- Bone broth fasting
- Elimination diets
- Chi activation
- Meditation/prayer
- Movement therapy

* I'm not against supplementation and realize these differing mindsets can both exist in the same individual. I still take several things myself. Just sharing some [possibly unpopular] thoughts...

Last edited:
OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Should mention that I've fallen into the exogenous > endogenous framework many times myself. Might still be in it lol.

Nonetheless, its pervasiveness is something I wanted to bring up...

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

A little more context on this topic:

I know people who've been searching for the latest-and-greatest supplements for decades now...yet their health is completely falling apart. Joint pain, arthritis, hypothyroidism, premature aging, etc etc etc.

Many of these people have bitterness, unforgiveness, and an inability to 'let go' of their ego expectations, which manifests partially through orthorexia and an obsession with supplements.

If these people had done a little fasting and inner work, they'd be in a much better state. Instead they're off searching for the next great thing (ie. expensive supplement), not really realizing what they're doing.

Perry Staltic

The body doesn't produce zinc, and some people don't get enough zinc from diet, particularly as they age. Not everyone can get enough vitamin D from the sun and they don't want to use sun lamps. So supplementing in these cases is just basic good sense.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

The body doesn't produce zinc, and some people don't get enough zinc from diet, particularly as they age. Not everyone can get enough vitamin D from the sun and they don't want to use sun lamps. So supplementing in these cases just makes basic good sense.
Yes totally agreed! I take a few things that are just too difficult to get from the modern food supply.

What I'm trying to point to here is an overarching mental framework that always seeks supplements first, before exploring simpler and/or more convenient solutions.

P

Peatness

Sorry, not wise enough to determine what you mean here...
You are a smart guy so you know that I mean that young people can fast without much effort and often without consequence. However, as we age and pufa accumulates this can be stressful (even dangerous).

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

You are a smart guy so you know that I mean that young people can fast without much effort and often without consequence. However, as we age and pufa accumulates this can be stressful (even dangerous).
Ah gotcha! Yeah, not everyone has the innate regenerative abilities of a 20, 30, or even 40-something year old.

I'm definitely not saying that everyone should be fasting - but I do think that fasting's value is unfairly derided when one is in the mindset of looking to exogenous substances first.

K

Kayaker

Ah gotcha! Yeah, not everyone has the innate regenerative abilities of a 20, 30, or even 40-something year old.

I'm definitely not saying that everyone should be fasting - but I do think that fasting's value is unfairly derided when one is in the mindset of looking to exogenous substances first.
But what about food?

I'm.No.One

In all honesty I've been working on myself in many aspects for well over a year & while it has helped some it in no way has made as much of a difference as sups have.

Although it's likely the combination of both.

I think some of us are just so far over the other side that there's no amount of breathing or pro-metabolic eating that will bring us all the way back.

I do agree though that people would always rather take a pill than eat real food or work on stress levels.

I suppose it's better to find balance with both.

Rasaari

One-size-fits-all statements like these rarely fit all people.
:) Of course there are applications for fasting and time and place but mostly fasting is harmful for health. Especially when there are better alternatives

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

:) Of course there are applications for fasting and time and place but mostly fasting is harmful for health.
That sounds quite different than your original statement, but hey our views are more similar than first thought :):

K

Kayaker

I believe Peat said high-carbohydrate diets require thiamine supplementation to prevent deficiency. I have trouble finding the quote.