The psychoactive effects of carbon dioxide

miquelangeles

Excerpt from the book Encyclopedia of Mind Enhancing Foods, Drugs and Nutritional Substances, 2d Ed.

Carbogen AKA: Meduna’s Mixture.

Effects:
According to Russ Kick in The Disinformation Book of Lists:

“When you inhale the mixture of oxygen (70 percent) and carbon dioxide (30 percent), your brain thinks that you’re dying of suffocation, although you’re actually getting enough oxygen to function normally. In the Seventh Day Adventist magazine Signs of the Times (of all places), Dr. Jack Provonsha writes: ‘subjects on carbon dioxide report separation of the self from the body. And as with the [psychedelic] drugs and NDEs [near death experiences], there were reports of caves, tunnels, intensely bright lights, visions of other persons, luminaries, reliving of the past, and ‘spiritual’ experiences.’

He then reprints the experience of a carbogen user as first relayed in Dr. L. J. Meduna’s pioneering work on the subject, Carbon Dioxide Therapy (1950):

‘I felt myself being separated; my soul, drawing apart from the physical being, was drawn … seemingly to leave the earth and to go upward where it reached a greater Spirit with whom there was a communion, producing a remarkable new relaxation and deep security…. I felt the Greater Spirit even smiling indulgently upon me in my vain little efforts to carry on by myself, and I pressed close [to] the warmth and tender strength and felt assurance of enough power to overcome whatever lay ahead for me.’

“Psychonaut Myron Stolaroff took carbogen once a week for two years under a doctor’s supervision. ‘I always approached the experience with enormous anxiety,’ he wrote, ‘but got considerable relief when I explosively discharged repressed material. I would then feel great for a few days, but then relapse back to my previous condition.’ “During the same time that LSD was being introduced into psychotherapy, carbogen was also used. Stolaroff says that around 200 therapists employed the procedure, and they even formed a short- lived professional organization.”

Precautions: Adverse physical and psychological reactions can occur. Experiments should only be conducted under the supervision of an experienced medical professional. (See also entry for Carbon Dioxide)

Dosage: 70 percent carbon dioxide, 30 percent oxygen.

Carbon Dioxide

Effects:
According to Win Wenger, PhD, swimming underwater while holding your breath for a total of twenty hours over a period of three weeks can result in an increase often IQ points and greater awareness and attention span. The reasoning is that, due to the increased carbon dioxide in the blood, the arteries dilate, delivering more oxygen-rich blood to the brain and other organs. This is known as the mammalian dive response. This method is also endorsed by Yoshiro Nakamatsu (“Dr. Naka-Mats”), the “Thomas Edison of Japan,” who claims to get his ideas by sitting underwater. Wenger has also developed a similar technique called “masking,” where a person puts their face in a paper bag to accomplish the same thing.

Precautions: His techniques have not been scientifically verified. Any exercise—especially aerobic exercise—accomplishes the same thing. A 2009 study at the University of Iowa has found that breathing carbon dioxide can activate the brain protein ASIC 1a in the amygdala, which can trigger fear and panic attacks. Carbon dioxide can also be lethal at high doses. Hyperventilating, or taking deep breaths, before breathhold dives or swimming laps can cause cerebral hypoxia, leading to shallow water blackout and drowning. Even healthy, experienced swimmers can succumb
to it, and can exhibit no visible signs of distress to anyone nearby.

Inaut

Carbon Dioxide

Effects:
According to Win Wenger, PhD, swimming underwater while holding your breath for a total of twenty hours over a period of three weeks can result in an increase often IQ points and greater awareness and attention span. The reasoning is that, due to the increased carbon dioxide in the blood, the arteries dilate, delivering more oxygen-rich blood to the brain and other organs. This is known as the mammalian dive response. This method is also endorsed by Yoshiro Nakamatsu (“Dr. Naka-Mats”), the “Thomas Edison of Japan,” who claims to get his ideas by sitting underwater. Wenger has also developed a similar technique called “masking,” where a person puts their face in a paper bag to accomplish the same thing.

Precautions: His techniques have not been scientifically verified. Any exercise—especially aerobic exercise—accomplishes the same thing. A 2009 study at the University of Iowa has found that breathing carbon dioxide can activate the brain protein ASIC 1a in the amygdala, which can trigger fear and panic attacks. Carbon dioxide can also be lethal at high doses. Hyperventilating, or taking deep breaths, before breathhold dives or swimming laps can cause cerebral hypoxia, leading to shallow water blackout and drowning. Even healthy, experienced swimmers can succumb
to it, and can exhibit no visible signs of distress to anyone nearby.
Thanks for posting this. This would be a fun experiment to try if I owned a pool and could do this year round. For some reason I think this would be extremely beneficial for hair loss...

Samya

This makes me think of when I practice CO2 tolerance during swimming, my mind can become really calm like during meditation. In yoga it's taught that when the mind or breath is controlled the other is automatically controlled. With psychedelics too the breath can become really slow, and during 'ego death' experiences people seem to stop breathing for a short while.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals