The protective and anti-inflammatory effect of methylene blue in corrosive esophageal burns: An experimental study

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Background: In developing countries, esophageal burns are quite common. They are caused by the ingestion of corrosive substances that may lead to esophageal perforation in the short-term and stricture formation in the long-term. Prevention of stricture progression in the esophagus is the main aim of the treatment for corrosive esophageal burns. We aimed to investigate the protective and anti-inflammatory effects of methylene blue (MB) treatment on corrosive esophageal burns.

Methods: Twenty-eight rats were used in the study and randomly divided into four equal groups; group 1 (Sham), group 2 (control), group 3 (topical treatment), and group 4 (topical plus systemic treatment). Except for group 1 (Sham group), all three groups received sodium hydroxide (NaOH) in order to generate esophageal burns. In addition, group 2 was given normal saline, group 3 topical MB, and group 4 topical and systemic MB.

Results: Hydroxyproline levels were found to be lower in each of the treatment groups as compared to the control group (p=0.005 for group 3 and p=0.009 for group 4). There were no differences in the tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) levels between the groups. The stenosis index (SI) in the treatment groups was also lower than the control group (p=0.016 for group 3 and p=0.015 group 4). The histopathologic damage score (HDS) was prominently lower in group 4 as compared to the control group (p=0.05).

Conclusion: MB is effective in treating tissue damage caused by corrosive esophageal burns and in preventing esophageal stenosis. Complication rates of corrosive esophageal burns may be decreased by using MB in the initial treatment stage.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Tarmander

"In developing countries, esophageal burns are quite common. They are caused by the ingestion of corrosive substances"

Does this mean drinking bad home brewed alcohol or what?

Mito

"In developing countries, esophageal burns are quite common. They are caused by the ingestion of corrosive substances"

Does this mean drinking bad home brewed alcohol or what?
“Corrosive esophageal burns, that mostly happen accidentally in children, constitute a serious problem across different age groups and are relatively common in rural areas and developing countries.[1] Corrosive esophageal burns are caused by alkaline substances in 90% of cases and by acidic substances in the remaining 10%.[2] Alkaline substances are easily accessible since they are used for cleaning, soap making, or fruit drying.”

Last edited:

Tarmander

“Corrosive esophageal burns, that mostly happen accidentally in children, constitute a serious problem across different age groups and are relatively common in rural areas and developing countries.[1] Corrosive esophageal burns are caused by alkaline substances in 90% of cases and by acidic substances in the remaining 10%.[2] Alkaline substances are easily accessible since they are used for cleaning, soap making, or fruit
drying.”
jeez

Birdie

Thank you for this charlie. The link led more studies on esophageal burns and to some studies concerning the safety of a procedure tried, unsuccessfully, on my husband to view his Mitral valve. Very interesting findings.

I wonder if the MB helps just with acute burns or would help years later if these children had scarring/stenosis. I see this study was done on the initial stages though.

Orome

Forum Supporter
Thank you for this charlie. The link led more studies on esophageal burns and to some studies concerning the safety of a procedure tried, unsuccessfully, on my husband to view his Mitral valve. Very interesting findings.

I wonder if the MB helps just with acute burns or would help years later if these children had scarring/stenosis. I see this study was done on the initial stages though.

As I briefly described here I was able to cure all of my heartburn and esophageal symptoms by taking Doxycycline antibiotic for 2 weeks. Maybe a special case that it has helped me but I wish I would have tried this earlier (would maybe have spared me 12+ month of intense suffering) instead of listening to the doctors who put me on megadose PPIs which did absolutely nothing.

But nice find for the MB and thanks for sharing ;).

Birdie

As I briefly described here I was able to cure all of my heartburn and esophageal symptoms by taking Doxycycline antibiotic for 2 weeks. Maybe a special case that it has helped me but I wish I would have tried this earlier (would maybe have spared me 12+ month of intense suffering) instead of listening to the doctors who put me on megadose PPIs which did absolutely nothing.

But nice find for the MB and thanks for sharing ;).
Thank you so much and I'll check your link.

Don

Any thoughts on how we could use MB for acid reflux throat burning ? Gargling with maybe less dilution , consuming like normal ?
Thanks guys.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals