“The proportion of proteins, carbohydrates, and fat..."

narouz

The proportion of proteins, carbohydrates, and fat--it probably should be something like a third of each, but I’m not sure what the ideal is. It depends so much on the quality of each of them. Avoid starch, and avoiding eating polyunsaturated fats, and avoiding the very high tryptophan-content proteins... then you could go very high on any one of the major nutrients without problem.”-Dr. Peat
in the interview "Milk, Calcium, and Hormones"
(go to approximately the 1:01 mark)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I would think activity level would also change what would be ideal for each person.

kettlebell

Its funny Narouz,

I listened to this interview earlier, an absolute gem, and that quote jumped out at me too.

OP
N

narouz

kettlebell said:
Its funny Narouz,

I listened to this interview earlier, an absolute gem, and that quote jumped out at me too.

Yeah, one of his coolest!
The neat thing about the third/third/third general ratio was, for me,
that I've never heard him express general food category ratios
in terms of calories.

Somewhere in there he also mentions the fancy chelate forms of magnesium
(and anything else, presumably)
as bad.
I remember "citrate" specifically as one of those.
I can't remember what he said was the good way to take magnesium as a pill.

gretchen

narouz said:
“The proportion of proteins, carbohydrates, and fat--it probably should be something like a third of each, but I’m not sure what the ideal is.]It depends so much on the quality of each of them. Avoid starch, and avoiding eating polyunsaturated fats, and avoiding the very high tryptophan-content proteins... then you could go very high on any one of the major nutrients without problem.”-Dr. Peat

If only the general public could understand this. :cry:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If they dont hear it from the gubmint or the square talking box then well you know, we must be crazy!!! :crazy:

Nicholas

narouz said:
post 6622
The proportion of proteins, carbohydrates, and fat--it probably should be something like a third of each, but I’m not sure what the ideal is. It depends so much on the quality of each of them. Avoid starch, and avoiding eating polyunsaturated fats, and avoiding the very high tryptophan-content proteins... then you could go very high on any one of the major nutrients without problem.”-Dr. Peat

a "third of each" would also contradict the popular Peat custom of eating low fat.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

Nicholas said:
post 101157 a "third of each" would also contradict the popular Peat custom of eating low fat.
Yip.
I think Peat may be eating lower fat than that now to lower PUFA consumption.
And I think there may be a case for trying lower fat in some circumstances.
But I haven't seen Peat say everyone should do it.

Last edited by a moderator: