The Progest-E & Raw Honey High

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This one cracked me up...

"Many years ago, public relations experts used expensive opinion polls to judge the effectiveness of their efforts, but now there is a convenient way to see how the general public is thinking: Wikipedia, the internet encyclopedia. The success of corporate advertising can be seen in their recent article on serotonin, which says "It is a well-known contributor to feelings of well-being; therefore it is also known as a 'happiness hormone' despite not being a hormone." -Ray Peat

Maybe Wikipedia should be considered anti-Peat :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The first reaction to a decrease of blood glucose, at least in healthy individuals, is to increase the activity of the sympathetic nervous system, with an increase of adrenaline, which causes the liver to release glucose from its glycogen stores. The effect of adrenaline on the liver is very quick, but adrenaline also acts on the brain, stimulating CRH, which causes the pituitary to secrete ACTH, which stimulates the adrenal cortex to release cortisol, which by various means causes blood sugar to increase, consequently causing the sympathetic nervous activity to decrease. Even when the liver's glycogen stores are adequate, the system cycles rhythmically, usually repeating about every 90 minutes throughout the day." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The milk estrogen research isn't good. It also contains thyroid and progesterone and other protective substances. The high calcium content helps to increase the metabolic rate, and probably contributes to maintaining the anabolic balance." -Ray Peat

Jennifer

I have not looked through wikipidia, but I did post that link as to why gingivitis might occur in some people where progesterone is a contributing factor. It seems to happen to women more and people who already have problems with plaque build up. I have not seen anything where supplimenting is a contributor, just made natural progesterone WITH estrogens. It seems there needs to be some prexisting issues for it to be a contributor. I am thinking that the "read a book on it before taking it" is speaking to those who want to just take progesterone to fix all their problems without making the necessary dietary changes.Not only by him disclosing that "reading a book on it first" releases him from liability not knowing each persons situation, but it also arms a person with knowledge what to expect from it according each persons unique situation, with diet, lifestyle, age, experiences and such. I hope i am not rambling, but i was thinking about itva lot last night too.

I haven't looked into the diabetic angle, but I did skim some of his various articles again on progesterone and other ones where he mentions and found these below that were interesting.

Gotcha. No worries about rambling. I see it as a thought process. Whatever the reason(s) for Ray recommending the book in that particular instance and books in general, I’m just glad he does. Like you’ve pointed out, we all have our own context and the way I see it, Ray is empowering us to take hold of our health and learn about our biology so that we aren’t dependent on the medical system and can potentially overcome issues we may have suffered at the hands of it. It certainly was empowering for me. I was looking at paralysis in my future had I not learned about my body and the cause of my condition enough to prevent it from progressing. Anyhow, I think this quote you posted on the thread speaks to this:

"The simplicity of things such as supplementing thyroid, progesterone, and sugar, avoiding an excess of phosphate in relation to calcium, and avoiding polyunsaturated fats, makes it possible for people to take action themselves, without having to depend on the medical system." Heart and Hormones by Ray Peat (2013)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Gotcha. No worries about rambling. I see it as a thought process. Whatever the reason(s) for Ray recommending the book in that particular instance and books in general, I’m just glad he does. Like you’ve pointed out, we all have our own context and the way I see it, Ray is empowering us to take hold of our health and learn about our biology so that we aren’t dependent on the medical system and can potentially overcome issues we may have suffered at the hands of it. It certainly was empowering for me. I was looking at paralysis in my future had I not learned about my body and the cause of my condition enough to prevent it from progressing. Anyhow, I think this quote you posted on the thread speaks to this:

"The simplicity of things such as supplementing thyroid, progesterone, and sugar, avoiding an excess of phosphate in relation to calcium, and avoiding polyunsaturated fats, makes it possible for people to take action themselves, without having to depend on the medical system." Heart and Hormones by Ray Peat (2013)

I so love that one too! I am certaily happy to have progesterone in my bag of tricks! I am glad it saved your health too! That says a lot about it's value! I started using it this past weekend topically for my husband's back pain from a tetanus shot last year. He seems to think it is taking the edge off his pain. Ray says to spread a little olive oil on the area of pain, or arthritis, to help the vitamin E spread better. It is some dang sticky stuff!

Jennifer

I so love that one too! I am certaily happy to have progesterone in my bag of tricks! I am glad it saved your health too! That says a lot about it's value! I started using it this past weekend topically for my husband's back pain from a tetanus shot last year. He seems to think it is taking the edge off his pain. Ray says to spread a little olive oil on the area of pain, or arthritis, to help the vitamin E spread better. It is some dang sticky stuff!

Thanks, Rinse! It wasn’t actually the progesterone that saved my health, but I know exactly what your husband means. It does the same for my mum and I—she has a back injury, too. I use it vaginally and my mum takes it in gelatin caps because it irritates our intestines, for some reason. I tried it topically, but it wasn't as potent for me.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thanks, Rinse! It wasn’t actually the progesterone that saved my health, but I know exactly what your husband means. It does the same for my mum and I—she has a back injury, too. I use it vaginally and my mum takes it in gelatin caps because it irritates our intestines, for some reason. I tried it topically, but it wasn't as potent for me.

You have been through a lot so maybe have built up a high tolerance to a lot of things by now.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Urea is safe, but progesterone, pregnenolone, and thyroid are often curative for chronic kidney disease." -Ray Peat

Jennifer

You have been through a lot so maybe have built up a high tolerance to a lot of things by now.

Honestly, I became intolerant to a lot of what I once tolerated, but we may be talking about different things. lol

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Although occasionally a short supplementation of progesterone, pregnenolone, or thyroid will decisively correct a problem, most often there has been something environmental-nutritional that had to be changed. If people don’t change their diet and/or problematic surroundings, then they are dependent on hormones, stimulants, antiinflammatories, etc." -Ray Peat e-mail exchange

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Finally, long hours of daylight are known to increase progesterone production, and long hours of darkness are stressful. Annually, our total hours of day and night are the same regardless of latitude, but different ways of living, levels of artificial illumination, etc., have a strong influence on our hormones. In some animal experiments, prolonged exposure to light has delayed some aspects of aging." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Cortisol is made from progesterone, but increasing the supply of progesterone reliably lowers cortisol synthesis, acting on the brain, pituitary, and adrenal glands. Progesterone, by many mechanisms, including its antagonism to cortisol, lowers the amount of estrogen in cells (causing the estrogen-binding proteins to be degraded, inhibiting the enzymes that release estrogen from the sulfates and glucuronides, and activating the enzymes that detoxify estrogen). So I think the symptoms of increased estrogen and cortisol are the result of either extraneous ingredients in the creams, or from using it at the wrong time, for example, too early, triggering premature ovulation." -Ray Peat e-mail exchange

74one

"Cortisol is made from progesterone, but increasing the supply of progesterone reliably lowers cortisol synthesis, acting on the brain, pituitary, and adrenal glands. Progesterone, by many mechanisms, including its antagonism to cortisol, lowers the amount of estrogen in cells (causing the estrogen-binding proteins to be degraded, inhibiting the enzymes that release estrogen from the sulfates and glucuronides, and activating the enzymes that detoxify estrogen). So I think the symptoms of increased estrogen and cortisol are the result of either extraneous ingredients in the creams, or from using it at the wrong time, for example, too early, triggering premature ovulation." -Ray Peat e-mail exchI bought Pregnenolon
I'm not using supplements but after listening to Ray Peat podcasts I decided to try Pregnanolone. I bought this brand Pregnenolone, Premier and got heart palpitations within minute after I took 0.5 capsule! On my attempt to leave a negative feedback I got respond that they cannot post my comment but will return money instead. I'm wondering if that would be possible on this forum to create page with the list of safe to buy vitamins and supplements and maybe the bad ones to

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I'm not using supplements but after listening to Ray Peat podcasts I decided to try Pregnanolone. I bought this brand Pregnenolone, Premier and got heart palpitations within minute after I took 0.5 capsule! On my attempt to leave a negative feedback I got respond that they cannot post my comment but will return money instead. I'm wondering if that would be possible on this forum to create page with the list of safe to buy vitamins and supplements and maybe the bad ones to

That is terrible! I don't think Ray Peats means for everybody to take everything he says is safe, not even progesterone. I think what he means is if you need it with is safe, otherwise he says get things you need from food. I have seen those threads and I don't know what got posted in them, but I am not taking the recommendations anyway. I haven't tried the Pregnenolone or thyroid, they seembl a little more risky being my own doctor and in good health. I don't want to get greedy ?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"When a person uses a drug, there is generally an awareness that the benefit has to be weighed against the side effects. But if something is treated as a “nutrient,” especially an “essential nutrient,” there is an implication that it won't produce undesirable side effects." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"I think continuing the progesterone would help to normalize thyroid responses. If you adjust the thyroid dose every two weeks according to how you feel, and according to your temperatures and pulse rate, there should be a point where your cycle is right, without needing progesterone. During the winter the need for thyroid is higher, because of the short days, so it's important to watch for decreasing need when the days are longer in the spring." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"I think it's important that we don't allow the drug publicists to obscure the broad importance of substances such as aspirin, vitamin E, progesterone, and thyroid. For 60 years, a myth that was created to sell estrogen has harmed both science and the health of many people" -Ray Peat

SamuraiJack

"Excess stress (which can block progesterone synthesis and elevate estrogen) may bring on symptoms in someone who never had them. Spending a summer in Alaska, with an unusually long day, may relieve the symptoms of a chronic sufferer. Dark cloudy winters in England or the Pacific Northwest are powerful stressors, and cause lower production of progesterone in women, and testosterone in men. Toxins can produce similar symptoms, as can nutritional deficiencies. A very common cause of an estrogen excess is a dietary protein deficiency--the liver simply cannot detoxify estrogen when it is under-nourished." -Ray Peat

I'm loving these RP quotes you're posting Rinse. Great reminders for us all. Keep up the good work.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I'm loving these RP quotes you're posting Rinse. Great reminders for us all. Keep up the good work.

Thank you SamuraiJack! They inspire me a lot and make me, as Ray Peat says, Percieve Act and especially Think! Funny when I made this post on Progest-E I knew virtually nothing about it. I am surprised how much he talks about it in almost every article or interview. I certainly have a clearer view on it now and all the many powerful ways it can be used!

SamuraiJack

Thank you SamuraiJack! They inspire me a lot and make me, as Ray Peat says, Percieve Act and especially Think! Funny when I made this post on Progest-E I knew virtually nothing about it. I am surprised how much he talks about it in almost every article or interview. I certainly have a clearer view on it now and all the many powerful ways it can be used!
Certainly. I'm still coming across ways it's benefitting me. As per one of your quotes, it's clear how pro thyroid this is for us, especially in my case.

For a few weeks now I've been having to constantly eat more and more, and supplement with extra mg, cal & potassium. As long as I'm well fed and nourished, I'm great!
It's been working like thyroid for me. A little more effective for me, I believe, due to being slightly deficient in prog before, so I could do with lowering the dose now as I'm now in 'hard gainer' territory!

One heck of a hormone yet no mention of it in hospitals, GP's or anywhere for that matter...hmm..