"The Primary Sources Of Acidity In The Diet Are Sulfur-containing AAs, Salt, And Phosphoric Acid"

Jennifer

Not sure about potatoes. Will have to look into them. But yes, just to be sure, I didn’t say I think the benefits of a fruit based diet was just based on the alkaline/acid balance. I don’t think anyone is saying that. No doubt there are other benefits from eating plenty of fruit as well. For example, fructose (from what Ray Peat has said and from the research I have seen) at least can help protect bones from the catabolic effect when there is insufficient calcium, etc. The fructose and magnesium and potassium which seem to influence the acid or alkaline load also has other positive effects. That said, the possible benefits of eating more alkaline forming foods isn’t something I can count out either since I have consistently noticed the difference when my diet is heavily acidic forming, which would seem to suggest that it may likely be in part due to then alakaline/acid balance. Over the past 15 + years of regular blood work and a near scientific level of tracking each new food I take out and put into my diet each once at a time, it always goes back to whether my diet is made up of heavily acid or alkaline forming foods. Even if my diet is heavy in high quality natural acidic forming foods, I notice the huge difference and this has been very consistent going back well over 15 years with me. And I’ve seen other ‘Peatarians’ say the same thing as well.
Yep! Girl here raising her hand. :)

I very much relate to what you've said in your posts and it's really nice to meet someone else on here who has experienced the same things I have and has experimented in a similar fashion. The natural and high quality acidic products, the consistent blood work over the years and meticulous tracking, well, you get it. :): I have to agree about the green juice also, except I'm a big baby and don't like drinking it because of the taste. lol Celery juice gives me the same positive effects so that's my go to veggie juice. Anyhow, thanks for sharing your experience, Waremu! :):

Oh, and I forgot to address one of your comments – one thing that may be a factor in fruitarians not becoming too alkaline is many of them live in, or move to, warm climates and heat, in my understanding, is acidifying. It makes sense to me if I think about the climates in which fruit is most abundant. I believe this is one reason that a raw fruit diet in cool climates is harder to tolerate – the cold is alkalizing.

Last edited:

nerfherder

Subjects who are particularly sensitive to salt, generally defined as an increase of 3 to 5 mmHg for a given salt load, have more of a metabolic acidosis than those subjects who are salt resistant (54). So, while everyone’s net acid load would improve by lowering their dietary salt intake, some individuals should benefit more than others from this dietary intervention.

Read forty threads, find a nugget.

I'm running an experiment where I up my salt intake to get closer to that 15g a day and my bp has jumped 15 points. While on the surface this is not good, it is a bit of an anomaly that could help me find the core problem which would be a great thing.

I don't think my diet is too bad but it is an easy fix to eat more green veggies and add in more fresh fruit and a simple blended fruit/milk drink. Thanks, @Amizoniac, for the info.

Richiebogie

Yeah, I personally am not a fan of commercial dog and cat food. I feel like the food they eat should actually resemble food. lol We did feed our dogs a grain-free, whole food based kibble but I wasn't thrilled with all the added isolated vitamins and minerals that are standard in pet food so we switched them to a mostly raw diet of fruits, veggies (non-starchy except for the occasional sweet potato and pumpkin), shellfish, eggs and organ meat with coconut/cream as their main fat source and coconut water as their main fluids. The only supplements we gave them were gelatin, herbs and for a short time, eggshell calcium. The change in their health was amazing.

Hi @Jennifer and @yerrag.

Some kibble dog food is 90% seeds, including corn, wheat, rice, oats, soy and sunflower!

Probably not a dog's ancestral diet!

Nora Lenz writes about what she feeds her cats and dogs, and how she has healed dogs of cancers and hip and ear problems.

Here is a summary of her program:

Top 5 Criteria for Choosing Dog Food | No More Vet Bills

She is also big into fasting dogs. She explains that wolves can go many days between kills.

An alternative is to give dogs fruit days in lieu of meat days!

Last edited:

Jennifer

Thanks for sharing, @Richiebogie! :):

Nora's site was the one I came across when trying to come up with a treatment plan for Bee. I love her work!

Richiebogie

Hi @Jennifer. Nora Lenz seems to be the Dr Morse for cats and dogs!

I am slowly going through Nora's blog posts now! We are still giving our dog Tess dates, bananas and sweet potato in the afternoon and then raw meat and bones at night, so that is somewhat Nora-approved!

Fruit and raw meat seems more natural than four-times cooked kibble made from grains and euthanised pet parts!

Part of a venison rib bone got stuck between Tess' teeth tonight so ribs are probably too thin and sharp for her. Oxtail seems to go down ok!

Catch you soon!

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Alkalinity vs Acidity 2012, KMUD : The Herb Doctors

--
If molybdenum concentrates in these tissues and parsley is a good source of it, I wonder if it's one of the constituents that makes parsley so beneficial for those tissues? Wouldn't it be cool to study plants? There's this book called the Secret Life of Plants by Peter Tompkins that I've been wanting to read and this one that Dr. Morse recommended that I think you might find interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0132092301/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
These types of books are those that we skim and brush off, only to find them later containing the information that we spent a great deal of time with the collectings.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

"I think the main function [of excess alkaline of the elements] is sparing protein that you would use for the kidneys to help to regulate the minerals. And for example, when a person's fasting for several days, they will generally lose more protein than fat because the stress hormones rise and they live on a pure meat diet when they're fasting as their tissues break down. And if during that fast if you just drink minerals - salt water, baking soda, potassium, magnesium and calcium - any of the alkaline minerals will radically spare the amount of protein that you would be consuming and wasting. So a fast is much less stressful and harmful if you're getting the alkaline minerals."

"Taking sodium bicarbonate, for example, will actually acidify cells that are in need of more carbon dioxide because when the bicarbonate has been deficient and a cell is exposed to the bicarbonate it will convert it into the acidic carbon dioxide and be able to lower its pH even though you've taken the alkaline baking soda."

"The only foods I would suggest you eliminating would be the grains and beans and most of the nuts. And probably reducing most meats. Gelatin happens to be the part of the meat that doesn't have so many of the disturbing acidic pro-inflammatory effects."

"epsom salts and baking soda are all good. The baking soda helps you absorb magnesium if you have epsom salts mixed with it."
But I think magnesium sulfate alone isn't sustainable.

"I happened to get a copy of [Gerson's] book just a few years after he died in the mid or early 1960's. And I read it and was very impressed by his detailed studies. He seemed to have read just about everything about cancer the first half of the 20th century. And so I tried to figure out how it was working and the minerals are a very important part of it. And in restoring the oxidative metabolism, he regularly gave his people Armour thyroid. I think 2 grains was a very common dose for his patients." "And around the time I read his book, I read Lionel Strong who developed the cancer prone strains of mice that developed spontaneous breast cancer. And he had been curing cancer just with an extract of liver. And that was my first research project was to try to find out what it was in the liver extract that would cure cancer."

yerrag

"I think the main function [of excess alkaline of the elements] is sparing protein that you would use for the kidneys to help to regulate the minerals. And for example, when a person's fasting for several days, they will generally lose more protein than fat because the stress hormones rise and they live on a pure meat diet when they're fasting as their tissues break down. And if during that fast if you just drink minerals - salt water, baking soda, potassium, magnesium and calcium - any of the alkaline minerals will radically spare the amount of protein that you would be consuming and wasting. So a fast is much less stressful and harmful if you're getting the alkaline minerals."

"Taking sodium bicarbonate, for example, will actually acidify cells that are in need of more carbon dioxide because when the bicarbonate has been deficient and a cell is exposed to the bicarbonate it will convert it into the acidic carbon dioxide and be able to lower its pH even though you've taken the alkaline baking soda."

"The only foods I would suggest you eliminating would be the grains and beans and most of the nuts. And probably reducing most meats. Gelatin happens to be the part of the meat that doesn't have so many of the disturbing acidic pro-inflammatory effects."

"epsom salts and baking soda are all good. The baking soda helps you absorb magnesium if you have epsom salts mixed with it."
But I think magnesium sulfate alone isn't sustainable.

"I happened to get a copy of [Gerson's] book just a few years after he died in the mid or early 1960's. And I read it and was very impressed by his detailed studies. He seemed to have read just about everything about cancer the first half of the 20th century. And so I tried to figure out how it was working and the minerals are a very important part of it. And in restoring the oxidative metabolism, he regularly gave his people Armour thyroid. I think 2 grains was a very common dose for his patients." "And around the time I read his book, I read Lionel Strong who developed the cancer prone strains of mice that developed spontaneous breast cancer. And he had been curing cancer just with an extract of liver. And that was my first research project was to try to find out what it was in the liver extract that would cure cancer."

Are you quoting Ray?

yerrag

Hi @Jennifer and @yerrag.

Some kibble dog food is 90% seeds, including corn, wheat, rice, oats, soy and sunflower!

Probably not a dog's ancestral diet!

Nora Lenz writes about what she feeds her cats and dogs, and how she has healed dogs of cancers and hip and ear problems.

Here is a summary of her program:

Top 5 Criteria for Choosing Dog Food | No More Vet Bills

She is also big into fasting dogs. She explains that wolves can go many days between kills.

An alternative is to give dogs fruit days in lieu of meat days!

Interesting!

Is the reason to lessen fats fed to dogs because toxins are stored in fats (with the way livestock and poultry are fed and fattened ) or is it because fats aren't just good in large quantities (just like with us humans)?

Still have to read some more as it's interesting that she advocates feeding protein and carbs separately. And the carbs are fruits (not sure if she included vegetables)? I also wonder if cooked green leaves are included. Would dogs eat leaves without accompaniment?

If dogs are just like us, and they're healthy and don't get symptoms as well as don't degenerate with say hip disorders, and they're fed raw meat and fruits (and vegetables?), we could learn a lot from taking care of our dogs well and perhaps even adopt their food lifestyle, don't you think? Not entirely, but the gist of it.

I also think it's ironic that we are just as confused about taking care of ourselves with the right nutrition that we often end up taking care of dogs the same way we do ourselves. Best intentions, but not necessarily the best methods. Taking care of pets make us learn lessons on taking care of ourselves. It's often the case our pets have to suffer from our well-intended care, and die, and the best gift they give to us is to learn from what made them sick, and apply that to ourselves and to new pets we take under our care. That is, if we should ever learn from it. Many times we don't, because we're taught that it's just the way it is. With thinking such as "It's the breed" or "That's life."

Last edited:

Jennifer

Hi @Richiebogie,

Funny, I was sure we had talked about Nora before so I looked and saw we had in the fruitarian thread. We've talked about a lot of things there. lol

Yep, fruit and raw meat are definitely more natural for dogs IMO than kibble. Ray has also suggested fruit for dogs, and dairy to balance the phosphate from meat. From my notes:

"Some carbohydrate might help, in a form associated with minerals, such as fruit or summer squash, and calcium to help balance the phosphate of meat (cottage cheese or milk, for example)." Ray Peat

I believe this quote was in reference to a forum member's dog who had skin problems.

It sounds like Tess is in very good hands. :)

@yerrag, just in case you're interested, here is a quote in regards to nutrition for dogs by Dewitt, a well respected member on the old Peatarian forum:

"The immune system can be strengthened by complete PUFA avoidance and supplementation with saturated fat. Coconut oil and butter are good ideas. The same approach helps with inflammation and so does milk.

Be careful with the aspirin. Dogs don't break it down very well, so it can become toxic over time. It would be safest if you don't exceed 325mg a day.

I use dates, prunes and apricots as well as some fresh fruit.
Grapes/raisins, avocados, garlic, onions, tomatoes, potatoes, rhubarb, mushrooms, most nuts and all fruit pits and seeds are toxic to dogs.

The physiology of dogs resembles that of bears, in that their preferred food source is sugar/fruits and they only resort to meat when no fruits are available. Their eating habits don't have much in common with that of their carnivorous counterparts (aka wolves), altough people claim the opposite. Dogs pretty much evolved from wolves because they started eating the food that humans threw away. Humans didn't really "tame" the wolves or anything like that. They tamed themselves because they had to live in symbiosis with humans to get free food, which allowed them to preserve energy. They evolved to omnivores with the eating habits of primates and bears.
The chow I give my dog is 60% fruits, 20% butter and 20% offal meat (as percentage of calories). For his fluid needs, he can choose between sugar water and milk. But he usually prefers milk, except on the days I feed him more protein and fat than usual. I also give him small amounts of supplements - 10mcg LSD, 500mg niacinamide and 300mg magnesium. He is 9 years old now and shows absolutely no signs of aging or illness."

Last edited:

Jennifer

Alkalinity vs Acidity 2012, KMUD : The Herb Doctors

--

These types of books are those that we skim and brush off, only to find them later containing the information that we spent a great deal of time with the collectings.
Very true!

That's one of my favorite RP interviews. Some favorite quotes from it:

"RP: The nervous system is in control of the metabolism to a great extent. You don't have to run 5 miles to shift over into that stress metabolism if your nervous system, emotional systems are very stressed."

This is one reason why I focus on the adrenals as much as the thyroid.

"RP: The so called alkaline ash diet, lots of fruits and vegetables and milk and cheese, All those are things that will help to let the stressed cancer cell repair itself as far as it can"

I love how he gets what a cancer cell is and that we want to repair it, not destroy it like current mainstream medical thinking.

And this one goes well with the main topic of the thread. I feel like I already posted this quote in a thread recently but...

"RP: Yeah, and grains, nuts, beans and meat do have a very acidic residue or ash after they're metabolized. And the biggest part of that in meat and nuts and grains is phosphate. Proteins have a lot of sulfur that turns into sulfuric acid when it's metabolized. And with those it is possible to do biological harm eating too much of those and not enough of the potassium, sodium, magnesium and calcium."

benaoao

FYI the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published that high dietary phosphorus intake (more than 1,400 milligrams a day, which is double the daily recommendation) was associated with increased mortality in healthy people without kidney disease

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

There was this link shared some pages of the back and the wards, and it contain some useful information for gut troubles:

"The HCO3− secreted in the colon by the Cl−/HCO3− exchanger is consumed (along with much of the HCO3− delivered from the ileum) in buffering organic acids produced by colonic bacteria. Some of the organic anions produced by this reaction are absorbed via a linked HCO3− exchange transporter (1) (Figure 1), but the remainder are excreted and make up the 30 to 40 mmol/d of potential alkali lost in the stool despite the absence of measurable HCO3− in the stool (Table 2)."

"In patients who have undergone jejunoileal bypass surgery for weight reduction or who have a shortened small intestine connected to the colon for other reasons, undigested glucose delivery to the colon is increased, providing a substrate for bacteria that metabolize this sugar to lactic acid (1,52). This bacterial metabolic process produces d- and l-lactic acid, both of which are readily absorbed into the circulation. Humans have the enzyme machinery to metabolize l-lactic acid rapidly, but d-lactic acid is only slowly metabolized. Absorption of sufficient d-lactic acid results in a characteristic syndrome of mental confusion and metabolic acidosis with an increased anion gap. Because only l-lactate is measured in the usual laboratory test for lactic acid, no elevation in lactate will be detected despite the increased anion gap acidosis. With mass spectrometry or chromatography methods that detect both d- and l-lactic acid, the elevated d-lactate levels will be evident (2). The symptoms and acidosis clear spontaneously with time as the d-lactic acid is gradually removed from the circulation by metabolism, but the syndrome will recur after eating another high-carbohydrate meal."

I think our dear Travisord reported this when he tried fermented foods for a while.​

Trading bicarbonate for lactate doesn't sound good.
Something related was thought to be observed in practice (below). It's an extreme case, but this thread is about the chronic and low-grade effects that add up over time.

Intestinal Ileus as a Possible Cause of Hypobicarbonatemia

"The presence of a severe intestinal ileus with sequestration of fluid within the bowel prompted us to consider the possibility of internal gastrointestinal bicarbonate losses as the cause of hyperchloremic metabolic acidosis. Since our patient did not have any bowel movements for at least 72 h, diarrhea is obviously excluded as a cause of bicarbonate loss. In the colon, like in the ileus, there is Na+ and Cl– absorption, and active secretion of HCO3 [1]. A Cl–/HCO3 exchanger mediates chloride absorption and bicarbonate secretion[13,14] (Fig. 1). In the face of an intestinal ileus, the accumulation of fluid in the bowel, coupled with an increase in functional surface area, augments chloride/bicarbonate exchange, a process that could lead to bicarbonate loss into the intestinal lumen and, thus, metabolic acidosis. "

"An increase in net chloride reabsorption, however, is also predicted from the mode of operation of the Cl–/HCO3 exchanger. Experimental work has shown that when intraluminal pressure is increased, the driving forces for filtration secretion are augmented[8,9,10]. Further, active solute transport mechanisms may be impaired in patients with ileus, as it has been shown experimentally when intraluminal pressures are increased[7,8]. These processes, coupled with the increase in effective surface area and possibly an increase in vascular permeability often seen in patients with pancreatitis[11], leads to solute and fluid accumulation within the intestinal lumen. Accordingly, the transfer of sodium chloride into the intestinal lumen increases even though the active operation of Cl–/HCO3 exchanger results in chloride resorption. Thus, until the ileus resolves, there is progressive accumulation of solute and water in the intestinal lumen despite active Cl–/HCO3 exchange. This leads to two different effects: volume depletion and metabolic acidosis. We believe that, in our patient, the former was corrected faster than the latter with the administration of sodium chloride and water. Correction of the metabolic acidosis required enhancement of renal acid excretion as seen in our patient. Although not commonly recognized and, in fact, not mentioned in standard nephrology texts[12], intestinal ileus should be considered in the differential of hyperchloremic metabolic acidosis. We conclude that internal bicarbonate losses into dilated colonic loops need to be considered as a cause of metabolic acidosis in patients with abdominal ileus."​

If it happens to swell over time..

Cascara, energy, cancer and the FDA's laxative abuse.

"Often people visualize something like a sausage casing when they think of the intestine, but when the intestine is becoming inflamed its wall may swell to become an inch thick. As it thickens, the channel narrows to a few millimeters in diameter, and may even close in some regions. In the swollen, edematous, inflamed condition the contractile mechanism of the smooth muscle is impaired. The failure of contraction is caused by the same structural changes that increase permeability. (Garcia, et al., 1996; Skarsgard, et al., 2000; Plaku and von der Weid, 2006; Uray, et al., 2006; Miller and Sims, 1986; Schouten, et al., 2008; Gosling, et al., 2000.)

Obviously, in the very swollen, structurally deformed intestine, with almost no lumen, neither a stimulant nor a simple fibrous bulk could restore functioning, because even with stimulation the smooth muscle is unable to contract, and the closed channel won’t admit bulk. Even gas is sometimes unable to pass through the inflamed intestine."​

..the leakiness will be present and these exchanges will still occur. It's common for the inflammed tissues to be less discriminating in what is accepted and what gets rejected. There can be on top of the intensified losses of bicarbonate and reabsorption of chloride, the absorption of toxins that will impair the organs needed to balance acids and bases in the body. There can also be distention without narrowing, so more surface for these exchanges.

- D-lactic acidosis: Turning sugar into acids in the gastrointestinal tract - ScienceDirect
- D-Lactic Acidosis: More Prevalent Than We Think?
To my surprise there are various publications on the subject, just search for it.

If you relate it's likely that you can benefit from starting your day with some bicarbonate salt on empty of the stomachs. This can help set a good pace and over time correct the issue.

--
On empty stomach because:

Influence of Gastric Acid on Susceptibility to Infection with Ingested Bacterial Pathogens

"Gastric juice consists of HCl and pepsin and can kill bacteria within 15 min when the pH is less than 3.0 (8). If the pH is raised above 4.0, bacterial overgrowth may occur. Hypochlorhydria (4 < pH < 7) (3) and achlorhydria (pH > 7) can be acquired or iatrogenic. Acquired hypochlorhydria can result from atrophic gastritis or be induced by malnutrition (10, 15). Iatrogenic hypochlorhydria can be caused by gastric surgery or by drugs that inhibit acid secretion (18). Regardless of the cause, a number of studies have associated hypochlorhydria with an increased risk of infection (12, 22). However, as discussed by Martinsen et al. (18), gastrointestinal infections themselves reduce gastric acid secretion in humans and animals, and few systematic experimental and epidemiological studies have been performed to determine the contribution of gastric acid to infection resistance."

"we treated mice with 10% sodium bicarbonate to neutralize stomach acid or with omeprazole, a proton pump inhibitor. Both of these treatments facilitated bacterial survival during passage through the stomach"​

Gas production after reaction of sodium bicarbonate and hydrochloric acid

"The reaction of HCl and NaHCO3 to form carbonic acid and sodium chloride is instantaneous; hence, sodium bicarbonate is a rapidly acting antacid (1). The decomposition of carbonic acid to CO2 (and water) accounts for the second characteristic effect of sodium bicarbonate when taken for indigestion, i.e., the facilitation of a belch. However, little is known about the rate of release of CO2 gas when sodium bicarbonate is added to a solution containing hydrochloric acid, and belching does not always follow ingestion of sodium bicarbonate.
The usual recommended dose of baking soda is one-half teaspoon which, if accurately measured, contains ~1.6 g of sodium bicarbanate."​

--
If combining bicarbonate salts and milk in the diet has the risk of putting the person in an alkali syndrome, people need to be more careful with calcium carbonate supplements. Just search for: '"calcium carbonate" alkalosis/alkali' and you'll realize it's a real concern. Calcium carbonate is more basic than sodium bicarbonate and it has calcium in the story.

Mito

FYI the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published that high dietary phosphorus intake (more than 1,400 milligrams a day, which is double the daily recommendation) was associated with increased mortality in healthy people without kidney disease
Can you link to the study? What was the ratio of calcium to phosphorus? Did they measure Vitamin D level? You can’t just look at phosphorus intake in isolation.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

All by the same author, but I won't read them because it will consume the time that I have reserved to the microbiome (that happens to outnumber our cells by a factor of 10).

- Colorectal cancer--an occupational disease? - PubMed - NCBI

- Low cancer rates among patients with Parkinson's disease. - PubMed - NCBI

"Among 406 patients with Parkinson's disease, the cancer rate (all sites combined) was bout one-third that for the general population. The risk of cancer increased during the treatment period but remained significantly low. Malignant and benign thyroid neoplasms were significantly more frequent than expected among patients with Parkinson's disease. We suggest that high levels of total body potassium in patients with Parkinson's disease is the protective factor against cancer."​

- Geographic cancer risk and intracellular potassium/sodium ratios. - PubMed - NCBI

"Geopathological, dietary, gerontological, and geophysiological data, data on electrolyte concentrations in healthy cells and in the corresponding tumor cells, and data on the potassium status of patients with different diseases and the associations of these diseases with cancer revealed a common denominator in the potassium-sodium-cancer relationship. A number of independent studies showed that the concentration of intracellular potassium was negatively correlated to cancer rates, whereas the concentration of intracellular sodium was positively correlated to cancer rates. The ratio between the concentrations of intracellular potassium and sodium was negatively correlated to cancer rates and was of greater importance in this respect than the two elements individually. The relations between these concentrations and cancer rates are hyperbolic rather than linear, which explains the fact that two independent carcinogenic agents are synergistic rather than additive."​

- Dietary, total body, and intracellular potassium-to-sodium ratios and their influence on cancer. - PubMed - NCBI

"One of the greatest changes in the human diet, a change that has occurred only within the past few thousand years, is the immense increase in the intake of sodium (Na) caused by use of table salt in the preparation and preservation of food. At the same time, man's intake of potassium (K) has decreased. The result is that from Paleolithic times to modern times the dietary K/Na ratio has been reduced by a factor of about 20. Based on a comparison of modern people in civilized areas with the primitive Yanomamo Indians in South America (who do not eat salt but who do grow and eat potassium-rich cooking bananas), this factor may even be on the order of 100 to 200. Humans, who initially had to adapt to retain sodium from a sodium-poor diet and to excrete potassium from a potassium-rich diet, have not yet evolutionarily adapted to today's high-sodium, low-potassium diet. This failure has caused increased rates of a number of diseases in civilized man, among them cancer. The influence of the K/Na ratio on cancer development--first discovered by epidemiologic studies--has been confirmed by various means, such as dietary studies, gerontological studies, studies of relationships between hyper- and hypokalemic diseases and cancer, and review of the cellular changes of this ratio induced by carcinogenic and anticarcinogenic agents. Recently, animal experiments have also confirmed the results. The recommended dietary K/Na ratio should be well above 1, preferably 5 or higher, and the cellular K/Na ratio should be above 10."​

- Potassium, sodium, and cancer: a review. - PubMed - NCBI

"Agents known or believed to be carcinogenic decrease the concentration of potassium and increase the concentration of sodium in the cells. Anticarcinogenic agents have the opposite effect. In all cases where we have information on an agent's carcinogenicity or anticarcinogenicity and on that agent's effects on cellular potassium and sodium concentrations the above relationships have been found to be true. Dietary carcinogenic agents studied include sodium, cadmium, fat, cholesterol, calories, and alcohol; dietary anticarcinogenic agents include potassium, vitamins A, C, and D, selenium, and fiber. The effect of calcium intake is less clear as that effect depends on the concentrations on sodium and potassium. Not only dietary agents but also other carcinogenic and anticarcinogenic agents work in the same way. The cancer-causing drug dimethylhydrazine increases sodium and decreases potassium in the cells, whereas, for example, indomethacin, an anticarcinogen, has the opposite effect. In aging potassium leaves the cells, sodium enters them, and the rates of cancer increase. Patients with hyperkalemic diseases (Parkinson, Addison) have reduced cancer rates, and patients with hypokalemic diseases (alcoholism, obesity, stress) have increased cancer rates."​

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

From the popular 'Why stomach acid is good for you' by Jonathan Wright and Lane Lenard:

upload_2018-5-27_19-29-17.png

Away from meals, right?

--
Metabolic Acidosis and Thiamine Deficiency
"In thiamine deficiency, pyruvate [] concentration increases. This excess pyruvate is then converted to lactate by the action of lactate dehydrogenase² (Fig. 2). This conversion also results in the release of protons [Suikerbuik, 2018] in equal number to the molecules of lactate produced through hydrolysis of adenosine triphosphate during anaerobic glycolysis. This production of hydrogen ions leads to the acidosis associated with thiamine deficiency.¹"

Last edited:
Is bicarbonate OK to take before intense exercise, to counteract lactic acid? What proportion of potassium/sodium bicarbonate should be ideal prior to execise (sweating)? 1:1?

Wagner83

--
Metabolic Acidosis and Thiamine Deficiency
"In thiamine deficiency, pyruvate [] concentration increases. This excess pyruvate is then converted to lactate by the action of lactate dehydrogenase² (Fig. 2). This conversion also results in the release of protons [Suikerbuik, 2018] in equal number to the molecules of lactate produced through hydrolysis of adenosine triphosphate during anaerobic glycolysis. This production of hydrogen ions leads to the acidosis associated with thiamine deficiency.¹"
From a mail of haidut :

Heavy limbs, especially legs and quickly getting tired/sore when I do my daily 20 pushups is a good indication for me that lactic acid is high and I need some thiamine or methylene blue.​