"The Primary Sources Of Acidity In The Diet Are Sulfur-containing AAs, Salt, And Phosphoric Acid"

Wagner83

@Amazoniac , thanks for mining such interesting sources for us yet again.

I've read threads here about magnesium bicarbonate, and I've followed a recipe to make and drink it etc. But I wasn't aware that Peat had directly recommended it? I thought I'd seen him recommend magnesium carbonate?

Not that I'm recommending a diet of solely meat/fish and super starchy foods, but unless you actually meant pure starch (which isn't really food, and few people eat as a staple), I think to be fair one could distinguish different starchy foods - I'd expect at least some tubers to be more alkalinising than many grains, for instance.
I didn't remember writing this, sometimes there's this stupid guy who hacks my account and post with my profile.
I guess what I meant was that excluding veggies and fruits (fibers, allergens, goitrogens..) may be nonsense. I doubt many here exclude both. I don't know how alkalizing potatoes would be, as I discussed on the travis corner, sweet potatoes look like they have a much peat-friendly calcium/phosphorus ratio for instance. I can't eat much of them at once though. Perhaps white rice would be safe too but better consumed with (potassium + b-vitamins)-rich foods.

yerrag

I guess what I meant was that excluding veggies and fruits (fibers, allergens, goitrogens..) may be nonsense. I doubt many here exclude both.

Excluding veggies and fruits is certainly nonsense. I think though that this isn't what you're driving that.

What you probably meant to say is that people aren't avoiding vegetables and fruits because of the fiber content, or because some of them are goitrogens, or because some of them are allergens. But why not?

Is it because it's not practical?

Or is it because they have other things to be more concerned about that ranks this low on the list?

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I've read threads here about magnesium bicarbonate, and I've followed a recipe to make and drink it etc. But I wasn't aware that Peat had directly recommended it? I thought I'd seen him recommend magnesium carbonate?
Osteoporosis, aging, tissue renewal, and product science
"While lactic acidosis causes bone loss, acidosis caused by increased carbonic acid doesn't; low bicarbonate in the body fluids seems to remove carbonate from the bone (Bushinsky, et al., 1993), and also mineral phosphates (Bushinsky, et al., 2003). The parathyroid hormone, which removes calcium from bone, causes lactic acid to be formed by bone cells (Nijweide, et al., 1981; Lafeber, et al., 1986). Lactic acid produced by intense exercise causes calcium loss from bone (Ashizawa, et al., 1997), and sodium bicarbonate increases calcium retention by bone. Vitamin K2 (Yamaguchi, et al., 2003) blocks the removal of calcium from bone caused by parathyroid hormone and prostaglandin E2, by completely blocking their stimulation of lactic acid production by bone tissues. Aspirin, which, like vitamin K, supports cell respiration and inhibits lactic acid formation, also favors bone calcification. Vitamin K2 stimulates the formation of two important bone proteins, osteocalcin and osteonectin (Bunyaratavej, et al., 2009), and reduces the activity of estrogen by oxidizing estradiol (Otsuka, et al, 2005)."

They work on the same principles: when the body can't offset acidity with enough bicarbonate, it resort to bone for carbonate which is more basic for such purpose. If there's a burning of the sensations after a meal, people take carbonates instead of bicarbonates since they react with hydrogens and help to normalize acidity.
Gas Production After Reaction of Sodium Bicarbonate and Hydrochloric Acid

These statements haven't been validated by Suikerbuik yet.

I didn't remember writing this, sometimes there's this stupid guy who hacks my account and post with my profile.
I guess what I meant was that excluding veggies and fruits (fibers, allergens, goitrogens..) may be nonsense. I doubt many here exclude both. I don't know how alkalizing potatoes would be, as I discussed on the travis corner, sweet potatoes look like they have a much peat-friendly calcium/phosphorus ratio for instance. I can't eat much of them at once though. Perhaps white rice would be safe too but better consumed with (potassium + b-vitamins)-rich foods.
Effect of potato on acid-base and mineral homeostasis in rats fed a high-sodium chloride diet

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

This is one instance of taking too much baking soda where a perfect storm of low potassium and low chloride comes together to create a metabolic alkalosis condition. A person could also be on a low salt diet, with low chlorides already to begin with, and when he takes in enough baking soda, he could be setting himself up for this alkalotic condition. The high bicarbonate and highly alkaline condition of blood could very well result in increased urination, and if the increased urination rate continues, enough potassium could be lost through the continual increased urination rate. This would result eventually in low potassium, at which point the bicarbonate does not get urinated, but just gets resorbed in the kidney and goes back into the bloodstream. This is one gotcha, probably of many, that one has to be aware of in supplementing with baking soda in large quantities.

In this instance, probably eating enough bananas, like one with each meal, would probably maintain potassium levels, so that excess bicarbonates in the blood could be excreted in the urine, rather than be recirculated back in the blood. This would keep in check a metabolic alkalotic condition from developing.

But why bother with taking baking soda in large quantities? This is a matter of choosing the easy way by supplementation instead of making needed food lifestyle changes, which is more difficult, not as much as implementing it, as much as getting started on. Eating less meat (lessening acid load), drinking fruit and vegetable juices, eating more cooked leafy greens (increasing alkaline input) eating more sugar or carbohydrates (for sugar metabolism instead of fat or protein metabolism) would be a food lifestyle one could live with, with a minimum of supplementation.

If people make the time to get set up, it really isn't so hard to make your own fruit and vegetables juices. You're not even cooking. You're just buying, washing, chopping, and juicing. And cleaning afterwards. And if you're eating less meat, you're cooking less as well. And if you're making casserole dishes, which is the case for collagenous cuts of meat and skin, you can make a larger batch each weekend, and reheat easily the rest of the week. Casserole dishes taste even better when you reheat leftovers. And if you're eating rice, it's just so easy with a rice cooker, especially the programmable ones like from Zojirushi, Panasonic, and Tiger.

Thanks Amazoniac for all the links you've shared. Really setting aside time to read your links. I don't know where you get them, but keep them coming!
It's indeed a matter of balance))
The problem is when the situation gets out of control and diet continues having a great impact but is no longer enough to correct the situation. This thread is about the impact of diet on acid-base balance, however metabolic derangements can lead to an eventual acidality, which is when acidosis reacts with fatality, and it's marked by the RDS (Reactants Deficiency Syndrome), when the body is in a generalized depleted state. Any chronic nutritional deficiency can cause such generalized problem over time. Which is why trying your best to correct it through a high-everything safe diet is preferable and supplementing only as needed.

"I've never seen a physician that calculated the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation even with a calculator, we don't use this equation. It's true. It really does relate pH and pCO2 and bicarbonate but clinically it's pretty useless."

"Acid-base balance isn't a balance between acid and base at all. Acid-base balance is a balance between the respiratory component, the pCO2; and the metabolic component, the bicarbonate."

"It's true that the relationship between hydrogen ion concentration and pH is a logarithmic one over the range of 1 to 14 but you really don't care about a pH of 1, and you really don't care about a pH of 14. What you really care about clinically is pHs between about 7.0 and about 7.7 or 7.8 because outside that range your patient is not alive anyway."

"The metabolic compensation for a primary respiratory disorder takes time, so the magnitude of change in the metabolic component will be less for an acute process and greater for a chronic process."

"Ever had a patient die of alkalosis? Neither do I. People die of acidosis."

Last edited:

Jennifer

Not that I'm recommending a diet of solely meat/fish and super starchy foods, but unless you actually meant pure starch (which isn't really food, and few people eat as a staple), I think to be fair one could distinguish different starchy foods - I'd expect at least some tubers to be more alkalinising than many grains, for instance.
I don't know how alkalizing potatoes would be, as I discussed on the travis corner, sweet potatoes look like they have a much peat-friendly calcium/phosphorus ratio for instance. I can't eat much of them at once though. Perhaps white rice would be safe too but better consumed with (potassium + b-vitamins)-rich foods.
Not sure if this will be helpful, but below are some food pHs from Dr. Morse's chart. I also have the list of foods and their pHs from Reams' testing, but there are pages worth and my iPad camera no longer works so I'd have to type it all out and...please don't make me do it. lol

Not a pH thing but something I found interesting is Dr. Morse mentioned a friend of his who is a three doctorate professor in Canada and has studied food and chemistry all his life and he says banana is nature's perfect food. Anyhow, the list...

1 pH
Beef
Bread
Chicken
Coffee
Fish
Pasta
Pork
Sodas
Turkey
Refined Salt
White Sugar

2 pH
Beer
Buckwheat
Butter
Cheese
Eggs
Peanuts
Oatmeal
Rice
Wine

3 pH
Blueberries
Cranberries
Goat’s Milk
Honey (heated)
Mayonnaise
Most Beans
Most Nuts
Popcorn
Plums
Prunes
Pumpkin Seeds
Tomatoes (cooked)

4 pH
Coconuts
Corn
Molasses
Margarine
Oils
Potatoes (Dr. Morse has said that sweet potato is closer to alkaline)
Quinoa
Sauerkraut
Spices
Soy Sauce
Whey
Yeasts

5 pH
Broccoli
Carob
Cherries
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Mushrooms
Olives
Onions
Probiotics
String Beans
Tomatoes
Yogurt

6 pH
Alfalfa
Apples
Apricots
Asparagus
Avocados
Bananas
Bell Pepper
Berries
Carrots
Celery
Chard
Chia
Dandelion
Dates
Figs
Garlic
Gelatin
Ginger
Grapes
Honey (raw)
Kale
Lettuce
Oranges
Peas
Seeds (sprouted)
Spinach
Soybeans
Strawberries
Teas

7 pH
Cantaloupe
Cayenne
Kelp
Lemons
Mangoes
Melons
Papaya
Parsley
Watermelon
Wheat Grass

L

lollipop

Not sure if this will be helpful, but below are some food pHs from Dr. Morse's chart. I also have the list of foods and their pHs from Reams' testing, but there are pages worth and my iPad camera no longer works so I'd have to type it all out and...please don't make me do it. lol

Not a pH thing but something I found interesting is Dr. Morse mentioned a friend of his who is a three doctorate professor in Canada and has studied food and chemistry all his life and he says banana is nature's perfect food. Anyhow, the list...

1 pH
Beef
Bread
Chicken
Coffee
Fish
Pasta
Pork
Sodas
Turkey
Refined Salt
White Sugar

2 pH
Beer
Buckwheat
Butter
Cheese
Eggs
Peanuts
Oatmeal
Rice
Wine

3 pH
Blueberries
Cranberries
Goat’s Milk
Honey (heated)
Mayonnaise
Most Beans
Most Nuts
Popcorn
Plums
Prunes
Pumpkin Seeds
Tomatoes (cooked)

4 pH
Coconuts
Corn
Molasses
Margarine
Oils
Quinoa
Sauerkraut
Spices
Soy Sauce
Whey
Yeasts

5 pH
Broccoli
Carob
Cherries
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Mushrooms
Olives
Onions
Probiotics
String Beans
Tomatoes
Yogurt

6 pH
Alfalfa
Apples
Apricots
Asparagus
Avocados
Bananas
Bell Pepper
Berries
Carrots
Celery
Chard
Chia
Dandelion
Dates
Figs
Garlic
Gelatin
Ginger
Grapes
Honey (raw)
Kale
Lettuce
Oranges
Peas
Seeds (sprouted)
Spinach
Soybeans
Strawberries
Teas

7 pH
Cantaloupe
Cayenne
Kelp
Lemons
Mangoes
Melons
Papaya
Parsley
Watermelon
Wheat Grass
Very helpful list @Jennifer! Thank you for taking the time to post this.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I've been meaning to pull out my pH regent to see if my urine is down around 6.4-6.8 now that my kidneys are finally filtering – sediment (metabolic byproducts) in urine means the kidneys are filtering like they should be.
@Jennifer what do you use to test urine PH?

I think it would be awesome if you had a thread on filtering and things that can be done to increase it and make it more optimal, what to look out for, etc etc. :hattip

yerrag

1 pH
Beef
Bread
Chicken
Coffee
Fish
Pasta
Pork
Sodas
Turkey
Refined Salt
White Sugar

2 pH
Beer
Buckwheat
Butter
Cheese
Eggs
Peanuts
Oatmeal
Rice
Wine

3 pH
Blueberries
Cranberries
Goat’s Milk
Honey (heated)
Mayonnaise
Most Beans
Most Nuts
Popcorn
Plums
Prunes
Pumpkin Seeds
Tomatoes (cooked)

4 pH
Coconuts
Corn
Molasses
Margarine
Oils
Quinoa
Sauerkraut
Spices
Soy Sauce
Whey
Yeasts

5 pH
Broccoli
Carob
Cherries
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Mushrooms
Olives
Onions
Probiotics
String Beans
Tomatoes
Yogurt

6 pH
Alfalfa
Apples
Apricots
Asparagus
Avocados
Bananas
Bell Pepper
Berries
Carrots
Celery
Chard
Chia
Dandelion
Dates
Figs
Garlic
Gelatin
Ginger
Grapes
Honey (raw)
Kale
Lettuce
Oranges
Peas
Seeds (sprouted)
Spinach
Soybeans
Strawberries
Teas

7 pH
Cantaloupe
Cayenne
Kelp
Lemons
Mangoes
Melons
Papaya
Parsley
Watermelon
Wheat Grass

Jennifer, thanks for this post. I suppose this scale goes from most acidic to most alkalinic foods, right? So how do you use this list? Since I eat from the 1pH list, I don't see myself avoiding foods from this list. Does that mean I take more from the 7pH list when I partake of foods from the 1pH list as to balance the pH?

It's also interesting to note, for example, that butter is on the 2pH list, while margarine is on the 4pH list. If you believe that PUFAs are bad, this doesn't make a lot of sense. Still a good list, but knowing what I know, I wouldn't consider this list to be set in stone.

Last edited:

yerrag

That is based on what Reams and Ray Peat says. But if you care to dwelve deeper into the many links that Amazoniac has shared, you will find that it isn't as clear cut simply basing health status on the basis of urinary pH. For example, if you would go on a diet and make the effort of eating more of the alkaline foods, and much less of the acidic foods, just by going on the list Jennifer has provided, what are the chances that you would still find your urine to be acidic? If your urine has become alkaline or basic as a result, would you be alarmed?

yerrag

Generally skewing towards more positive effects than negative effects of drinking hard water, primarily associated with calcium and magnesium content in water. Worth noting that alkalinity considers two aspects, one involving the concentration of alkalinizing minerals such as calcium and magnesium in the water column, and the other involving the concentration of bicarbonate. The former is called general hardness, and the latter is usually referred to as alkalinity.

I'm more familiar with these terms as I have a fish pond and I measure these two parameters. I would make sure that there is sufficient alkalinity in the pond, as it is needed to convert the ammonia waste from fish into less harmful products such as nitrate, or even to nitrogen and oxygen. I had to make sure that there is enough bicarbonate substrate for the nitrifying bacteria in the pond to make the conversion.

The general consensus among koi hobbyists is to limit the general hardness of the pond, in order for the koi to develop well skin-wise. But I'm now beginning to question that consensus, as I believe that having calcium and magnesium in the water is going to be healthful for the koi. I now have to find ways of increasing magnesium in the pond, either by adding cooked greens to the koi food, or by adding a good magnesium additive to the pond. I had used magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate, but knowing the acidifying nature of inorganic anions, I feel it's safer to simply feed cooked leafy greens to them (cooked for better digestibility).

I know. Koi and humans are different. They're also cold-blooded. But I would think that acid-base balance is still a worthy goal regardless of species.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

The animals fed potatoes urinated more, I wonder if it's possible to affect p and H this way, simply by decreasing concentration. From what I read, they had everything suggesting improvements (such as organic non-GMO onions excretion):

"Citrate excretion was strongly enhanced in rats fed potato diets. Addition of fruits and vegetables to the diet have been shown to increase citrate excretion and to decrease calcium oxalate relative saturation in stone formers (Meschi et al. 2004). A significant decrease in net acid excretion was also observed upon potassium citrate supplementation, and this was parallel to a significant increase of urine citrate (Marangella et al. 2004). It appears that the major effect of dietary citrate on urinary citrate excretion is attributable to its metabolism in alkali (Sakhaee et al. 1991). Citrate is a characteristic renal metabolite which is recognised as a ‘window on renal metabolism’ (Simpson, 1983). Renal handling of citrate takes place in the proximal tubule across an Na-dependent dicarboxylate transporter (NADC-1) that reabsorbs a variety of Krebs cycle intermediates such as a-ketoglutarate and succinate (Pajor, 1999). Decrease in luminal pH has an effect on citrate reabsorption, probably due to a change in concentration of the preferentially transported ionic species, citrate2- (Brennan et al. 1988), and in NADC-1 abundance (Aruga et al. 2000). Citrate metabolism in renal tubular cells is also affected by urinary pH, with adaptive changes in the activity of cytosolic ATP citrate lyase and mitochondrial aconitase (m-aconitase) (Melnick et al. 1996, 1998). Previous studies have also indicated that urinary citrate could act as a potent endogenous stone formation inhibitor by chelating Ca and inhibiting Ca precipitation, as well as Ca oxalate crystallisation (Harvey et al. 1985). Thus, the alkali load provided by potato consumption associated with the increase in urinary pH leads to the rise in urinary citrate excretion which may contribute to prevent the risk of kidney-stone diseases. Potato contains small amounts of oxalate, which is partially absorbed, whereas urinary oxalate might come mainly from endogenous synthesis. Potato consumption seems effective to lower this endogenous production."

"by replacing WS [wheat starch] with CP [cooked potato] in a high-salt diet, it is possible to counteract the hypercalciuric and hypermagnesuric effects of NaCl. Many studies have shown that K supplementation reduces whereas K deprivation elevates urinary Ca excretion (Lemann et al. 1989, 1991). Moreover, the addition of oral potassium citrate to a high-salt diet may prevent a rise of urine Ca excretion (Sellmeyer et al. 2002). KHCO3 is well known to reduce urinary Ca excretion by the neutralisation of endogenous acid production (Sebastian et al. 1994; Frassetto et al. 2000). As K organic salts metabolism yields virtually to KHCO3, they have the potential to neutralise endogenously produced acidity (Sellmeyer et al. 2002). They could thus stimulate the renal tubular reabsorption of cations since urinary Ca and Mg excretion seems to commensurate with endogenous acid production (Dai et al. 1997, 2001; Lemann, 1999; Yeh et al. 2003). Furthermore, K seems to have a direct impact on the kidney to promote Ca reabsorption (Brunette et al. 1992)."​

I didn't know that potassium citrate is a major form of potassium in potatoes.

Jennifer

Jennifer, thanks. I see a lot of your foods in the last categories.
You're welcome, Wagner! :) Huh, you're right! I hadn't even noticed that.
@Jennifer what do you use to test urine PH?

I think it would be awesome if you had a thread on filtering and things that can be done to increase it and make it more optimal, what to look out for, etc etc. :hattip
I use a pH reagent. The RBTI practitioner I worked with said that the test strips weren't as accurate.

I thought about starting a thread but filtering has involved things that aren't very peaty such as going low protein and I didn't want to confuse members who may be new to Ray's work. Maybe I could start a filtering log and track my experiments there, give tips etc., this way I hopefully prevent confusing anyone while possibly adding something useful to the forum?

Jennifer

Jennifer, thanks for this post. I suppose this scale goes from most acidic to most alkalinic foods, right? So how do you use this list? Since I eat from the 1pH list, I don't see myself avoiding foods from this list. Does that mean I take more from the 7pH list when I partake of foods from the 1pH list as to balance the pH?
You're welcome! :) If you believe in the theory than sure, including foods from the more alkaline lists could be of benefit. I'm not sure it matters having them at the same time we partake in an acidic food unless we find it reduces negative symptoms we may experience with an acidic food on its own such as heartburn or gas? For example – ginger is often used in meals to prevent indigestion. I think it's a common practice in India to use spices in milk to help digest it better? That sort of thing.

The list is rather limited but I would also say most culinary herbs and spices are closer to alkaline and IMO, they really add to a meal, regardless of pH. Dr. Morse is not a fan of dairy, particularly pasteurized dairy for reasons beyond the scope of this discussion, but he has raw dairy listed as alkaline in his book. His pH chart came out after his book was written and so he doesn't include an exact pH for it, but I recall Reams classified dairy as being neutral.
yerrag said:
It's also interesting to note, for example, that butter is on the 2pH list, while margarine is on the 4pH list. If you believe that PUFAs are bad, this doesn't make a lot of sense. Still a good list, but knowing what I know, I wouldn't consider this list to be set in stone.
I guess we should ask what makes PUFA bad and if it has anything to do with pH? I haven't compared the two, but I'm thinking that butter is more acidic than margarine because it's possibly higher in protein (amino acids are just that – acids) and lower in alkaline minerals? Not sure. I could be oversimplifying things big time but I figure when looking at pHs, whether the fat be saturated, polyunsaturated or monounsaturated, they are all fatty acids.

This list comes from a chart that is broken down further into separate categories, some of which I felt may not apply to Peaters so I just put them under the appropriate pH list. I'm trying my best to not mix Dr. Morse's work with Ray's so that I don't confuse members here who are newer to Ray's work and still learning.

Dr. Morse has these listed under Foods Not Fit for Human Consumption...
Tobacco
Sodas
Beer
Wine
Mayonnaise
Cooked Tomatoes
Margarine
Whey
Probiotics
Yogurt
Soybeans

See? The soda. Many here are fans of soda and I didn't want to offend anyone by listing it as being not fit for human consumption. lol That of course is just Dr. Morse's opinion. But yes, the list is not meant as "Eat this just because it is closer to alkaline." You won't catch me eating soy beans or cayenne pepper just because they are closer to alkaline.

I wish I could offer a better understanding but until I move and get a chance to take one of Dr. Morse's chemistry and physics courses, my understanding is limited to his book, his YouTube videos, what I've learned from Ray, RBTI, pow wows with doctors and my own research. I'm no scientist! To be honest, I mostly only go by my personal experience now because I find it's the only truth I really have. Until I experience something for myself, it's just theory to me. If I find something acidic makes me healthier, I'm going to eat it regardless of what some list says. :)

Last edited:

tara

Not sure if this will be helpful, but below are some food pHs from Dr. Morse's chart.
Thanks Jennifer.
Some of them surprised me.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I thought about starting a thread but filtering has involved things that aren't very peaty such as going low protein and I didn't want to confuse members who may be new to Ray's work.
I am seeing my filtering improve in a short time by increasing fruit. Maybe if you made a thread tagging it "Non Peaty" or a log that might be good enough so people do not get confused. I have some questions about it and maybe others do too.

L

lollipop

I am seeing my filtering improve in a short time by increasing fruit. Maybe if you made a thread tagging it "Non Peaty" or a log that might be good enough so people do not get confused. I have some questions about it and maybe others do too.
+1

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I just got an invitation from Ava for adult dating, but this has nothing to do with her.

Stop chronic kidney disease progression: Time is approaching

"Protein restriction did not significantly affect CKD progression[67]. Very low-protein diet does not delay CKD progression and may increase the risk of death[68]."

I think restriction is advisable only when you can't digest it well, which will feed bacteria and create the problems that our governor described. Getting adequate protein is important and the cationic minerals featured on every post here must be present in abundance. He constantly reinforces that phosphorus and amino acids in muscle of the meats have to be balanced with calcium and gelatin. Vit D involvement:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1359/jbmr.071118

"NaCl-induced low‐grade metabolic acidosis directly impairs calcium reabsorption at the distal tubule, resulting in renal hypercalciuria,50 which could be the cause for increased bone resorption to keep the plasma calcium concentration in its narrow limits (Fig. 4B).

Besides the above‐mentioned mechanisms, NaCl‐induced calciuria also leads to a transient decrease in serum calcium concentration with a compensatory increase in PTH to mobilize calcium out of bone (Fig. 4C) Furthermore, PTH is well known to induce metabolic acidosis through decreasing the tubular reabsorption of bicarbonate51, 52 (Fig. 4D)."​
If vit D status is inadequate and you lack energy, it's the same story as alvvays: plenty of cheese for example will flush magnesium, potassium depends on magnesium, sulfur-containing amino acids have to be metabolized, added salt can make the situation worse, calcium will be excreted and phorphorus will cause problems.​

"Correction of chronic metabolic acidosis was originally recommended in CKD patient to inhibit excessive protein catabolism and calcium mobilization out of the bone. Sodium bicarbonate supplementation was found to slow the rate of progression of CKD to ESRD[end-stage renal disease][105]. In the more recent trial, a significant improvement in the rate of decline of GFR was encountered in stage G4 CKD patients treated with sodium bicarbonate to render serum bicarbonate level at 22 mmol/L or above[106]."

"When phosphate intake was restricted, the rate of decline in creatinine clearance was much less[107]. Restriction of phosphate intake should start early in the course of CKD before the evident rise in serum phosphorus ensues. The restriction should initially be limited to food ingredients rich in inorganic phosphorus (like food preservatives and tasters). These food additives are found in sodas and processed foods[116]. Bioavailability of organic phosphorus is higher in animal proteins compared to plant proteins. Phosphorus in the later is tightly bound to phytate, an indigestible ingredient found in plant foods. On the other hand, phosphate binders should only be used when serum phosphorus increases above normal limits. The very early use of the phosphate binders might be associated with progression of V.C. [vascular calcification] while lowering serum phosphorus and attenuating the progression of secondary hyperparathyroidism[117]. Calcium-based phosphate binders are still very useful to control hyperphosphatemia, but can lead to hypercalcemia and/or positive calcium balance and cardiovascular calcification[118]. The higher the dose ingested the greater the extent of V.C.[119,120]. Thus, their use in cases suffering V.C., hypercalcemia, low level of parathormone and/or adynamic bone disease has to be restricted[121]."

"The value of nicotinamide in phosphate control (as well as its effects on lipid levels) was explored in some short-term trials on dialysis patients[142-144]."

"An inverse relationship was observed between serum level of 25(OH) vitamin D and the rate of GFR [if Daniel can't spell, I can't either] decline in children suffering CKD. Serum levels higher than 50 nmol/L were associated with 75% renal survival at 5 years of observation in contrast to 50% in case of levels below 50 nmol/L (P < 0.001). Higher serum levels of 25(OH) vitamin D were associated with lower urine protein/creatinine ratio. Renal survival increased 8.2% for every 10 nmol/L increase in 25(OH) vitamin D (P = 0.03), independent of eGFR; proteinuria, and underlying renal diagnosis[158]. It seems that activation of vitamin D receptors (VDR) on podocytes improves glomerular membrane sieving of proteins and has an anti-fibrotic effect[159]."

"CKD is associated with inflammation and oxidative stress which contribute to CKD progression[171]. A positive correlation was encountered between the rate of rise in serum creatinine and 2 markers of inflammation, namely, hs-CRP and malondialdehyde[172]. Uremic status is incriminated in the pathogenesis of chronic inflammation; however, the exact mechanisms are not fully understood. Inflammation can result from multiple co-morbid conditions activating inflammation (like infections and autoimmune systemic diseases)[173]."

"The gut has recently emerged as a major instigator of systemic inflammation in CKD. Postmortem examination of gut wall disclosed inflammatory changes throughout the digestive tract in patients on regular dialysis[15]. The human intestine is now recognized as an important metabolic organ powered by gut microbiota[176]. Altered gut microbiome might affect the integrity of the intestinal barrier leading to facilitated blood translocation of bacteria and uremic toxins[15]. In this context, the intestinal barrier function has not yet been carefully studied. However, recent studies have demonstrated marked disintegration of the colonic epithelial barrier structure and significant alteration of the colonic bacterial flora in humans and animals with advanced CKD[171]. The fact that circulating lipopolysaccharides (LPS) levels and bacteria-derived uremic retention solutes (indoxyl sulfate, p-cresol, and trimethylamine n-oxide) increase with CKD stages suggests a link between the intestinal barrier and renal dysfunction[177]. Many uremic toxins are derived from gut microbes. The imbalance of gut microbiota (dysbiosis) is provoked by dietary restrictions in CKD. Prescribed diet is poor in plant fibers and symbiotic organisms (to avoid potassium and phosphorus). Gut bacterial DNA and endotoxin were detected in the CKD serum. Endotoxin levels increase with the CKD stage and correlate with the severity of systemic inflammation[15]. When lubiprostone (a laxative) was used in uremic mice, reduction in the elevated BUN and protection against tubulointerstitial damage, renal fibrosis, and inflammation were observed. Change in the intestinal microbial composition in favor of Lactobacilli and Prevotella genus was also encountered beside a significant decrease in serum level of indoxyl sulfate, hippurate, and trans-aconitate. All these uremic toxins are of intestinal bacterial origin. These results indicate the possible value of change of gut microbiota in improving the rate of progression of CKD[178]. Thus, by targeting of the gut microbiome in a trial to restore symbiosis may prove as a potent strategy in reducing inflammation and disease progression in CKD."
If I remember it right, Raimund said something similar in an interview.

"Intestinal alkaline phosphatase (IAP) displays anti-inflammatory properties. This property may be related to detoxification of LPS, resulting in amelioration of intestinal and systemic inflammation; and to the regulation of gut microbial communities and their translocation. Enteral and systemic administration of exogenous IAP attenuates systemic inflammation. Dietary intervention can stimulate IAP and minimize low-grade systemic inflammation[180]. Intravenous administration of IAP improved kidney function and systemic inflammation in cases of sepsis[181]. Various spices (e.g., black pepper, red pepper, and ginger) increase IAP activity in the small intestine[182]. Curcumin; the active ingredient in the herbal remedy and dietary spice turmeric (Curcuma longa) increases the expression of IAP and tight junction proteins and corrects gut permeability. These effects would explain the anti-inflammatory effect of dietary curcumin in spite of its’ poor bioavailability[183]. It seems clear from this discussion; that a Mediterranean diet rich in indigestible fibers and in saccharolytic bacterial species fortified by spices like black pepper, red pepper, ginger or curcumin represents an innovative approach in CKD, potentially restoring microbiota balance, ameliorating CKD symptoms and slowing down CKD progression[184]. Dietary calcium and bound phosphate stimulate IAP[185,186]. In contrast, free unbound phosphorus in food inhibits IAP[187]. Vitamin K stimulates IAP[188]."

"The superoxide dismutase))-mimetic drug, Tempol, improved elevation on serum creatinine, blood urea nitrogen, urine albumin, segmental sclerosis and tubulointerstitial damage that were induced by 5/6 nephrectomy. These results indicate the value of the increased oxidative stress commonly encountered in CKD on the progression of the renal disease. They also highlight the possible value of antioxidant treatment to delay CKD progression[189]."

"Sarpogrelate is a serotonin (5-hydroxy tryptamine) receptor antagonist. It inhibits the production of thromboxane A2 and is used as anti-platelet agent instead of aspirin[190]. Experimental studies showed Sarpogrelate effect on mesangial type IV collagen production, on albuminuria in DKD, on antibody-mediated glomerular injury and on nephrotoxin-induced kidney fibrosis[191]. A clinical trial showed a significant decrease of urine albumin excretion in diabetic kidney disease after addition of Sarpogrelate[192]."

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals