AJA

Hard to find information that list specific content for various food items like olives. I imagine there are different amounts depending on what type of olive and olive oil. Looks like it is in olive oil:

How much though per olive? How much olive oil would yield a tangible amount in mg?
Also, not sure about Olive Leaf Extract,

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I was surprised to read about olives:
Wow . Thanks for sharing this study. This explains partly the success of the Mediterranean diet and the health of the people in that region .

"The results showed that the maximum level of total policosanol components (947.20 mg/100 g oil) was reached at the 26th week after the flowering date of Meski olives."

...that's actually a huge dose . 5g of the meski olive oil would still give you 47mg of policosanol.
The study doesnt mention any octacosanol ,which is the most researched policosanol,but I'm sure the other ones have benefits too .

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Hard to find information that list specific content for various food items like olives. I imagine there are different amounts depending on what type of olive and olive oil. Looks like it is in olive oil:

How much though per olive? How much olive oil would yield a tangible amount in mg?
Also, not sure about Olive Leaf Extract,

" Oils from Rosinjola variety were the most abundant."
That's actually really helpful . I will try to get my next olive oil from there. I'll also have to worry less about the PUFA content since theres something directly anti pufa in there.

Edit: they only tested 3 different olive oils
"Buza, Crna, and Rosinjola."

"The content of shorter chain alcohols (C22-C24) was found to increase, while that of those with a longer chain was found to decrease during ripening."
That would make a case for consuming "fresh" olive oil .

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Of those 3 olive oils the maximum amount of total policosanol was 15mg/100g .

In the first study about the meski olive oil it was 947mg/100g !

So either they made a huge mistake in one of those studies or the policosanol content varies DRASTICALLY between different origins.

Screenshot_20210901-095115_Drive.jpg

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

The discussion from this study explains a lot .
So correct me if in wrong, but the way I'm reading it : The super high policosanol content also has to do with the analysis method but mostly it's because of the method of extraction , which is solvent extracted olive oil .
So the method of extraction might play the biggest role in the policosanol content of olive oil and not the origin or something else.

"The total policosanol content in olive oils investigated in this study ranged from 7.93 to 14.73 mg/100 g (Table 3). It is comparable to the concentrations found in oils made from other Mediterranean olive varieties, such as Coratina with 5.8 to 6.5 [20] and 6.9 [21], Koroneiki with 24.3 to 26.7 [20] and 15.2 [21], and Picual with 11.6 mg/100 g [21], respectively. Total policosanol concentrations reported by Aparicio and Luna for various Mediterranean monovarietal olive oils ranged up to 36.1 mg/100 g in Farga variety [20]. Rivera del Alamo et al. [32] found total policosanol concentrations
between 4.4 and 29.1 mg/100 g in Cornicabra, Arbequina, Picual, and Hojiblanca, while El Antari et al. [37] found concentrations as the sum of even carbon number alcohols between 4.6 and 9.6 mg/100 g in oils from Picholine variety.
Lazzez et al. [19] noted concentrations from approximately 5 to 32 mg/100 g, depending on the Chemlali olive maturation stage. In one of the most recent studies, Giuffre [26] found mean total policosanol concentration in olive oils obtained from Southwest Calabrian (Italy) varietiesin different harvest years to range from 3.8 mg/100 g in Nocellara Messinese to 13.0 mg/100 g in Ottobratica variety. In another comprehensive investigation which included the effect of ripening, the same author reported values between 2.1 mg/100 g in oils
obtained from mostly black skin olives of Nocellara Messinese harvested late on 31st December, and 19.4 mg/ 100 g in oils made from green Pendolino olives [25]. Sakouhi et al. [28] observed concentrations in ripening Meski olives even up to 950 mg/100 g after application of an exhaustive 4-h Soxhlet oil extraction at 42°C before saponification and analysis. Grob et al. [38] found concentrations of policosanol in raw solvent-extracted olive oil approximately tenfold than in extra virgin olive oil. There are several possible reasons for this. Solvent extraction is generally characterized by much higher yield of oil when compared to mechanical oil separation techniques (press or centrifugation) [28]. Next, a fraction of policosanol aliphatic alcohol in olive oil naturally occurs esterified in the form of waxes. It is mainly contained in the olive exocarp, and is
extractable into oil in high amounts by solvent extraction
[18,39]. Since methods which include saponification, for example the official EU method used in this work [9], or the one used by Sakouhi et al. [28], measure the sum of naturally free aliphatic alcohols and those hydrolysed from waxes [38], it is probable that more than up to 70 times higher concentrations of policosanol in that work [28], with
respect to those reported for commonly obtained olive oils, are the result of the combination of solvent extraction and saponification during analysis. According to Sakouhi et al. [28], such results showed that the total policosanol
content of Meski olives was higher than that of beeswax and whole sugar cane, which are considered its main natural
sources, meaning that olives may serve as a rich source of these valuable phytonutrients. It is interesting to mention that physical refining/deodorisation of refined olive oil may cause losses in free policosanol alcohols, mainly due to their esterification with fatty acids to form waxes, or evaporation, both supported by heating [39]. As well, Orozco-Solano et al.[40]stated that policosanols are always present in higheramounts in oils obtained from the second in relation to the first, cold press."

Last edited:
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

It also seems important when the olive is harvested. The earlier the better . In this study olives harvested in september had a 4-fold higher policosanol content then the same olives harvested in January.

"In the present study, all the samples represent high levels in the first stages of maturity (September). They reach 267 mg/kg
in the oil of Sfax and 308 and 317 mg/kg in Sidi Bouzid and Enfidha oils, respectively. During the olive maturation, a decrease in the total aliphatic alcohol content was observed; in fact, it decreased progressively to 70 mg/Kg in January. At the end of the maturity process, the content in total aliphatic alcohols tended to increase and exceeded 100 mg/Kg in February in both
Sidi Bouzid and Enfidha oils (Figure 1)"
Screenshot_20210901-114515_Drive.jpg

(Influence of Olive Maturity Stage and Geographical Origin on Some Minor Components in Virgin Olive Oil of the Chemlali Variety | Request PDF)

This graphic shows the changing policosanol content in olives after flowering . Afaik flowering is in April or may . So in this case maximum policosanol content was found in October or November.

Screenshot_20210901-120446_Drive.jpg

(Error - Cookies Turned Off)

Last edited:

yerrag

Reminds me of fruits high in enzymes such as mangoes, guava, pineapple, and papaya. Rich in enzymes when unripe, and less but sweeter when ripe. Some I can eat when unripe like green mangoes and green papaya, but guava and pineapple seems inedible when unripe.

How do you eat these olives? Or do they get extracted of policosanols from 26-day old harvests?

It's probably more useful for the grower/extractor than us though. I have begun to have loose stools with using the PureBulk policosanol powder at 20mg dosage each time. This is when mixed with 30mg cyclodextrins and 2400mg Vitamin E in an ethanol base with the ultrasound cleaner. I'll have to lower my policosanol dosage to 10mg to see if it's the policosanol causing the loose bowel though.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Reminds me of fruits high in enzymes such as mangoes, guava, pineapple, and papaya. Rich in enzymes when unripe, and less but sweeter when ripe. Some I can eat when unripe like green mangoes and green papaya, but guava and pineapple seems inedible when unripe.

How do you eat these olives? Or do they get extracted of policosanols from 26-day old harvests?

It's probably more useful for the grower/extractor than us though. I have begun to have loose stools with using the PureBulk policosanol powder at 20mg dosage each time. This is when mixed with 30mg cyclodextrins and 2400mg Vitamin E in an ethanol base with the ultrasound cleaner. I'll have to lower my policosanol dosage to 10mg to see if it's the policosanol causing the loose bowel though.
Unrelated ,but what's your experience with guavas like ? I'm considering adding them to my diet ...

The second graph refers to 26 weeks after flowering and the first one is just when they were harvested.
So the first one suggests harvesting in September and the second one in October or November. I think you can find olive oil ,where they say when it was harvested .

On top of that it seems important through which mechanism the olive oil is processed. Generally cold pressed /mechanical seems to be the gold standard . In this case though the solvent /chemical extraction seems to be a lot better , I dont know if it has any other risks. But I asked Peat what he thinks about this whole process.

I'm thinking it might be easier to just add a little policosanol to a decent cold pressed olive oil ...let's see what Peat has to say .

I had loose stool for a few days too ,when I started policosanol. I thought it was some kind of a detox reaction and it went away soon .
But you're probably taking it for a longer time already ,aren't you ?

Dr. B

Unrelated ,but what's your experience with guavas like ? In considering adding then to my diet ...

The second graph refers to 26weeks after flowering and the first one is just when they were harvested. So the first one suggests harvesting in September and the second one in October or November. I think you can find olive oil ,where they say when it was harvested .
On top of that it seems important through ,which mechanism the olive oil is processed. Generally cold pressed /mechanical seems to be the gold standard . In this case though the solvent /chemical extraction seems to be a lot better , I dont know if it has any other risks. But I asked Peat what he thinks about this whole process.

I'm thinking it might be easier to just add a little policosanol to a decent cold pressed olive oil ...let's see what Peat has to say .

I had loose stool for a few days too . When I started policosanol. I thought it was some kind of a detox reaction and it went away soon .
Peat said beeswax if emulsified would be like policosanol

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Peat said beeswax if emulsified would be like policosanol
Okay ,cool. I've never tried beeswax and I'm pretty content with the purebulk policosanol. But I might try stuff like that in the future.

AJA

Here is a study not from Cuba that used different age groups. Impressive.

Also, it was interesting about the facial moisture which seems to fit with information earlier on this thread about the soaps being used. I am noticing increased facial moisture. Since I am retired, I do not shave more than once every week or two and so there is nothing else to account for this. Maybe related to HDL:

Another significant finding was that the moisture content of facial skin increased (Table I), which was well correlated with enhanced HDL functionality via antioxidant and anti-glycation activities (Figs. 2, ,55 and and8).8). Microvascular function of facial skin is closely related with enhancement of HDL functionality “(33).

Last edited:

Momado965

I always wondered why nobody is talking about cane sugar as a source of policosanol. After all policosanol is extracted from sugar cane stalks. I believe sugar cane juice and cane sugar have copious amounts of policosanol. I personally use NCS (Non certrufuged cane sugar) and crystalized cane sugar. I think the darker the sugar the more policosanol is present in appriciable quantaties. Here you cane find the 7 common types of sugar. 10 Types of Cane Sugar

Both raw cane sugar "NCS" and actual brown sugar (not turbinado or dermerara type although they sould have policosanol in them) sbould have appriciable amounts of policosanol. Heres a study discussing policosanol content of a japanese raw cane sugar (non centerfuged cane sugar) known as kokuto sugar. I think raw cane sugar should have similar concentrations of policosanol anywhere from 60-80mg per 100g of raw cane sugar and probably the lighter coloured sugar with less mollases content could have anywhere from 10-30mg of policosanol per 100g of sugar. Heres a pdf file with the study discussing policosanol content of japanese raw cane sugar from different regions.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw0tqKoKcgOuExLqFFugI22c&cshid=1630498387328

Lastly, there are different variaties of sugar cane. There is a posibility that one variarty has the hieghest concentration and yeild of policosanol. In upper egypt, the green stalk variary is cultivated for sugar cane juice and cane sugar. This green stlak variaty is also exported to my country, Kuwait, and probably other parts of the Arabian peninsula and the middle east for juicing. Egyptians and Kuwaities love their sugar cane juice :). Theres the idian variaty with red stalks as well and that variaty can be found at local super markets in Kuwait.

Dr. B

Here is a study not from Cuba that used different age groups. Impressive.

Also, it was interesting about the facial moisture which seems to fit with information earlier on this thread about the soaps being used. I am noticing increased facial moisture. Since I am retired, I do not shave more than once every week or two and so there is nothing else to account for this. Maybe related to HDL:

Another significant finding was that the moisture content of facial skin increased (Table I), which was well correlated with enhanced HDL functionality via antioxidant and anti-glycation activities (Figs. 2, ,55 and and8).8). Microvascular function of facial skin is closely related with enhancement of HDL functionality “(33).

is this good or bad, does it mean oilier skin? acne?

Inaut

I always wondered why nobody is talking about cane sugar as a source of policosanol. After all policosanol is extracted from sugar cane stalks. I believe sugar cane juice and cane sugar have copious amounts of policosanol. I personally use NCS (Non certrufuged cane sugar) and crystalized cane sugar. I think the darker the sugar the more policosanol is present in appriciable quantaties. Here you cane find the 7 common types of sugar. 10 Types of Cane Sugar

Both raw cane sugar "NCS" and actual brown sugar (not turbinado or dermerara type although they sould have policosanol in them) sbould have appriciable amounts of policosanol. Heres a study discussing policosanol content of a japanese raw cane sugar (non centerfuged cane sugar) known as kokuto sugar. I think raw cane sugar should have similar concentrations of policosanol anywhere from 60-80mg per 100g of raw cane sugar and probably the lighter coloured sugar with less mollases content could have anywhere from 10-30mg of policosanol per 100g of sugar. Heres a pdf file with the study discussing policosanol content of japanese raw cane sugar from different regions.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw0tqKoKcgOuExLqFFugI22c&cshid=1630498387328

Lastly, there are different variaties of sugar cane. There is a posibility that one variarty has the hieghest concentration and yeild of policosanol. In upper egypt, the green stalk variary is cultivated for sugar cane juice and cane sugar. This green stlak variaty is also exported to my country, Kuwait, and probably other parts of the Arabian peninsula and the middle east for juicing. Egyptians and Kuwaities love their sugar cane juice :). Theres the idian variaty with red stalks as well and that variaty can be found at local super markets in Kuwait.
I eat panela/jaggery and beeswax daily in addition to my Policosanol supp.

AJA

I wonder about the need to take Q10.

6.4CoQ10

CoQ10 is a vitamin-like compound that becomes important to ingest or supplement when using statin drugs, as endogenous synthesis of CoQ10 is reduced when the HMG-CoA enzyme is inhibited; synthesis normally occurs to sustain CoQ10 levels and mitochondrial function, and the decrease may lead to myopathies and increased fatigue.

As the mechanisms of policosanol are ultimately mediated via HMG-CoA, a long-term deficiency of CoQ10 could be suspect. This has not been reported in chronic studies with Policosanol currently (1-2 years) when dosed at 10-20mg, but has not been ruled out either.

Possible interaction with these two based on the mechanisms of Policosanol, under the assumption that it works

yerrag

Unrelated ,but what's your experience with guavas like ? I'm considering adding them to my diet ...

I have a tree in the backyard. The fruit is small, usually 1.5 inch diameter, occasionally 2 inches. Nice to eat it as a tree-ripened fruit, although birds usually peck at it before I get to it, which is fine. These are native guavas, which is why it's small. The inside is pink, and it is sweet with a slight tartiness, so sometimes it's also used to make a sour soup, like tarmarind, when it's not not yet ripe. The guava you find at supermarkets may be the larger kinds, more crunchy and the flesh is white. Taiwan makes good guava of this kind. It's not as sweet though, as it has to be picked when it's not ripe, otherwise it spoils in transit.

It's known for its pectin enzyme. It can sometimes be constipating, but if you've got a healthy gut, it has no effect.

When I mix the policosanol in ethanol (with ultrasound) it turns the ethanol into a weak milky white. When I add the Vitamin E (with glycerin and water from the capsule), and mix again, it blends into a homogenous transparent liquid. It always leaves a waxy coating after I drink up the mixture from the test tube, and it takes longer to clean up. I wonder how well it dissolves into the olive oil.

had loose stool for a few days too ,when I started policosanol. I thought it was some kind of a detox reaction and it went away soon .
I took it for 2 weeks, mixed as I described with the photos earlier.

Then I stopped for two weeks, as my bp went uip after going down iinitially. But there was no loose bowel during the 2 weeks I was taking it.

When I resumed, I began to experience loose bowel.

Last night, I removed the policosanol from the mixture, but this morning I still have loose bowels.

Once my gut settles (taking AC and skipping breakfast), I'll do a mixture with the policosanol but without the cyclodextrin, and see how that goes.

It's odd I'm getting a delayed gut reaction to it. It may be that it's taking a while for the gut lining biofilm to be disrupted, and whatever is released by the biofilm is causing the loose bowel movement. But I'm not just taking the policosanols, so any of the components could be causing that, or a combination of.

reaching

i am not a big science man so a lot of this thread is lost on me haha
but i bought the now brand as it is available to me and relatively cheap.
did i screw myself on all these additives haha

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals