TripleOG

Decided to give this a try. Purebulk, 20mg 2x/day.

Been experiencing similar initial effects as @Mauritio . When I first started dosing I developed constipation, bloating, and the nasty frontal headache that I get when under intestinal distress around the descending colon area. The stool passed smelled exceptionally bad these first few days. By day 4 everything subsided and my gut feels "calm" and less inflamed than it has in a long while. Thirst and hunger has gone up a bit. Temps hovering around 99F for hours.

To add context, I have a history of IBS symptoms that can go off the rails if I don't stay on top of things. Well... I haven't been and the discomfort/bloat after eating the past couple weeks has been hard to shake. This seemed to have snapped me out of whatever was causing my recent problems. Even if that's all this product does, I'll consider the $9.75 more than worth it lol.

dukesbobby777

Amazing, some of the dramatic reactions some people get from this. I have taken the pure bulk one enough times now to say (for certain) that it has barely any noticeable effects on anything. It’s so very cheap, one could say that it’s perhaps worth to keep taking it, but I’m probably not going to buy another pouch.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I am going to keep taking if at least a few times per week . Just because I know it's good for so many things .
Weirdly I dont notice much anymore , or at least less than when I started ...

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Danny and georgi discussing policosanol again for PUFA protection .
At 1:04:25.

Momado965

What about taking single fatty alchohols like Triacontanol? I will place and order for sugar cane wax which is mostly octacosanol, pure bulk policosanol and and sugar cane triacontanol.

grithin

I was reviewing the study Attenuation of Thrombosis by Crude Rice ( Oryza sativa) Bran Policosanol Extract: Ex Vivo Platelet Aggregation and Serum Levels of Arachidonic Acid Metabolites - PubMed
I noticed some interesting things I wonder if anyone might venture a model for:
500mg/kg group had
- heavier heart
- heavier liver
- lighter kidneys
- lighter spleen
- least amount of thromboxane of the groups

Curious about the thromboxane part when considering the 500mg/kg group did not show improvement in platelet aggregation reduction.

Additionally, apart from the 20mg and 40mg human study, what informs the dosage of 20mg? From my interpretation of 20mg vs 40mg study (Effects of policosanol 20 versus 40 mg/day in the treatment of patients with type II hypercholesterolemia: a 6-month double-blind study - PubMed), I expect as total cholesterol nears an optimal level, it gets harder to reach the optimal (vacuuming a very dirty floor makes a more apparent change than vacuuming a mostly clean one).

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I was reviewing the study Attenuation of Thrombosis by Crude Rice ( Oryza sativa) Bran Policosanol Extract: Ex Vivo Platelet Aggregation and Serum Levels of Arachidonic Acid Metabolites - PubMed
I noticed some interesting things I wonder if anyone might venture a model for:
500mg/kg group had
- heavier heart
- heavier liver
- lighter kidneys
- lighter spleen
- least amount of thromboxane of the groups

Curious about the thromboxane part when considering the 500mg/kg group did not show improvement in platelet aggregation reduction.

Additionally, apart from the 20mg and 40mg human study, what informs the dosage of 20mg? From my interpretation of 20mg vs 40mg study (Effects of policosanol 20 versus 40 mg/day in the treatment of patients with type II hypercholesterolemia: a 6-month double-blind study - PubMed), I expect as total cholesterol nears an optimal level, it gets harder to reach the optimal (vacuuming a very dirty floor makes a more apparent change than vacuuming a mostly clean one).
This comes down to a HED of 5g , 250 times as much as whats recommended . I dont know if you can draw any conclusions for lower doses of human consumption from that.
Think of a comparison of 1g to 250g of salt ,whole different animal...

grithin

This comes down to a HED of 5g , 250 times as much as whats recommended . I dont know if you can draw any conclusions for lower doses of human consumption from that.
Think of a comparison of 1g to 250g of salt ,whole different animal...

The part in my post about 500mg rat study is unrelated to the 20-40mg human study. I'm not intending to draw conclusions about dosage from the rat study, I'm just curious about the odd results from 500mg/mg, which weren't discussed in the discussion in the study. It would be interesting to find out if the heavier heart was from more muscle, more fat, or more fibrosis.

I'm not even suggesting a dosage, but if you made an intelligent guess from my posting, where you take the study that showed 27.4% and 28.1% reduction in LDL based on 20mg and 40mg, you might consider that effect approaches zero additional benefit beyond 40mg.

I have my own model for dosing, I was just curious what informs the idea of 20mg presented in this thread.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

The part in my post about 500mg rat study is unrelated to the 20-40mg human study. I'm not intending to draw conclusions about dosage from the rat study, I'm just curious about the odd results from 500mg/mg, which weren't discussed in the discussion in the study. It would be interesting to find out if the heavier heart was from more muscle, more fat, or more fibrosis.

I'm not even suggesting a dosage, but if you made an intelligent guess from my posting, where you take the study that showed 27.4% and 28.1% reduction in LDL based on 20mg and 40mg, you might consider that effect approaches zero additional benefit beyond 40mg.

I have my own model for dosing, I was just curious what informs the idea of 20mg presented in this thread.
I know its unrelated. But why are you curious about the results of you cant draw any conclusions from them anyway?

I think people just dont feel an additional benefit from going over 20 mg . I think haidut mentioned that studies showed the same , but I if you have studies showing otherwise please post .

grithin

I know its unrelated. But why are you curious about the results of you cant draw any conclusions from them anyway?

I think people just dont feel an additional benefit from going over 20 mg . I think haidut mentioned that studies showed the same , but I if you have studies showing otherwise please post .

to help improve my model of mechanisms.

Cloudhands

I think that black strap molasses has some policosanols and other polyphenols from sugar cane. im going to try and find the article i read about it later

grithin

As a side note, I suppose to be nice to this community, I'll mention some things:

1. you should probably not take large doses of policosanols as powder. I expect too much liberated unsaturated fat can cause serious health consequences. Besides, policosanols build up in cells over time, so the improvement as to alleviation of unsats can be expected with maintained low dose that builds up.
2. I expect the high amount of total policsanols is consumed food like honeycomb are offset by their not being much absorbed (compared to the powder). Better to take a controlled well absorbed dose via a powder.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Anybody still taking policosanol?
I still take it from time to time . I plan to take it long term 1-3 times a week. If I stop for a longer time and start again, I feel the effects more. Digestive cleansing and activation of the androgen receptor .

Imo it's almost stupid to not take it even if you dont feel anything. It has endless benefits and is one if the cheapest supplements.

shine

Took my first dose today. Now I experience constant rumbling in the liver/gallbladder area. Feels like something gets squeezed out and pressure in that area is lowered.

Dave Clark

Ran across this interesting podcast interviewing Richard Presser, where he talks about policosanol and various things like regulating the vitamin D receptor, etc. I have no claims or opinions on this, I just thought it would be an FYI for those interested in policosanol, in fact, I haven't even gone through the whole thing. Apparently, he has a product as well, that he talks about.

Dave Clark

Ran across this interesting podcast interviewing Richard Presser, where he talks about policosanol and various things like regulating the vitamin D receptor, etc. I have no claims or opinions on this, I just thought it would be an FYI for those interested in policosanol, in fact, I haven't even gone through the whole thing. Apparently, he has a product as well, that he talks about.
Well, I heard the whole thing. This is a nano policosanol, that is, of course, supposed to work better and do miraculous things that regular policosanol can't do. and, no surprise it has a big price tag, which I find interesting since the product is made from water and one of the cheapest compounds you can buy. You never know, there may be something to it, but I doubt I will be trying it anytime soon. If someone has tried it with great results, please share. otherwise, I will stick to a normal policosanol supplement.