The "plain But Healthy Diet" Of John D. Rockefeller (once Richest Man Ever)

ReSTART

He had a plain but healthy diet: green peas and string beans from his garden, rice, barley water, lettuce, fish, brown bread, and baked potatoes twice a day.

Rockefeller’s most distinctive piece of medical advice—and the eternal bane of his dinner guests—was that people should chew each bite ten times before swallowing. So conscientiously did he adhere to this practice that he even advised people to chew liquids, which he would swirl around in his mouth. He would still be eating a half hour after other guests had finished. To promote digestion, he also thought it important to linger at the table for an hour or so after dinner.

The Enthusiast - The Life of John D. Rockefeller

cyclops

Interesting about chewing food really well helping digestion. Seems to me that would be important. Has Peat ever spoken about that?

LUH 3417

Interesting about chewing food really well helping digestion. Seems to me that would be important. Has Peat ever spoken about that?
It's a huge concept in Chinese medicine. Eating fast is bad for your spleen, which is part of the "triple burner" system that includes the liver and stomach.

kayumochi

Rockefeller suffered from alopecia later in life. I suspect it was the stress.

BrianF

I eat too fast. I know i shouldn't. I know its much healthier to chew. I just cant. Im hungry. Always really hungry. Id eat the slow-eating **** in front of me and his dinner after i wolfed down mine.

Ive got issues.

Taurus

not much calcium...

I've read that he drank a lot of milk and there's rumours (which he denied) that he even had wet nurses for human breast milk.

Here's a longer quote from the article ReSTART quoted:
Biggar had, in fact, prescribed bread and milk for Rockefeller’s digestive troubles in the 1890s, and he continued to drink milk and cream regularly in the early 1900s, believing that “fresh milk is an excellent food for the nerves.” Yet as his health returned in the late 1890s, he resumed a varied menu, which he consumed slowly and in tiny portions. He had a plain but healthy diet: green peas and string beans from his garden, rice, barley water, lettuce, fish, brown bread, and baked potatoes twice a day.

The Enthusiast - The Life of John D. Rockefeller
The lamb that was made into broths and soups for him was grown on his own places. He also produced, on his estates, the fresh milk he drank, in order to be assured of its purity and quality.

He drank also a great deal of a special cultured milk.

Clocklike Habits Prolonged His Life

BrianF

"Special cultured milk" - can we assume that to be a slightly sour, youghurt type milk or perhaps a kefir type creation?

Back
Top Bottom