The Pink Coconut Water

Amazoniac

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ater-preservation-and-processing-A-review.pdf

"The major problem encountered in coconut water stabilisation is apparently not microbiological or chemical stability, since these objectives have already been partially achieved [44, 45], but the fact that enzymes need to be inactivated to stabilise the colour and taste of the final product. As is true for many fruit juices, polyphenol oxydase (PPO), haidutase georgidrogenase (HG) and peroxydase (POD) enzymes are present in young coconut water.
The consequence of PPO or POD activities in coconut water is discoloration. Yellow, brown or pink discoloration of the coconut water can occur a few minutes or a few hours after the nut is cracked. Discoloration can also occur after several weeks of storage of processed coconut water.
Even though the mechanisms of PPO and POD activities are well described from a biochemical point of view [49], the same mechanisms remain to be explained during ripening of the fruit and post-harvest. A range of different factors affect the levels of activities of the enzymes and are often difficult to control (temperature, pH, mechanical impacts, oxygen concentration, etc.). To prevent the consequences of PPO and POD activities in coconut water, several authors suggested inactivating the enzymes by thermal treatments either using conventional methods (pasteurisation, sterilisation) or by microwave heating."

Regina

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ater-preservation-and-processing-A-review.pdf

"The major problem encountered in coconut water stabilisation is apparently not microbiological or chemical stability, since these objectives have already been partially achieved [44, 45], but the fact that enzymes need to be inactivated to stabilise the colour and taste of the final product. As is true for many fruit juices, polyphenol oxydase (PPO), haidutase georgidrogenase (HG) and peroxydase (POD) enzymes are present in young coconut water.
The consequence of PPO or POD activities in coconut water is discoloration. Yellow, brown or pink discoloration of the coconut water can occur a few minutes or a few hours after the nut is cracked. Discoloration can also occur after several weeks of storage of processed coconut water.
Even though the mechanisms of PPO and POD activities are well described from a biochemical point of view [49], the same mechanisms remain to be explained during ripening of the fruit and post-harvest. A range of different factors affect the levels of activities of the enzymes and are often difficult to control (temperature, pH, mechanical impacts, oxygen concentration, etc.). To prevent the consequences of PPO and POD activities in coconut water, several authors suggested inactivating the enzymes by thermal treatments either using conventional methods (pasteurisation, sterilisation) or by microwave heating."
hah :joyful:

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

upload_2020-8-8_15-32-30.png

Source: the online.

saene

Not sure how this ties in, but if you compare the nutrition information of various coconut waters the pinkest one (harmful? harvest) which is unpasteurized had significantly higher phosphate content than any fresh option or any pasturized option. I had emailed the company and got a generic non answer answer...

lvysaur

Not sure how this ties in, but if you compare the nutrition information of various coconut waters the pinkest one (harmful? harvest)
I've had that one. It used to be really good way back in 2011, and most of the bottles were clear (not pink) back then. The product is pasteurized via pressure instead of heat, so the enzymes survive (and can turn the product pink)

I've had it a few times lately and it tastes funky. I think either their supply chain, or the supply chain of the distributors, (or both) are more careless now. The pink color is not harmful in and of itself I think, but it is indicative that the juice has been outside of the coconut for a while.

I've never had a pink coco water that tasted particularly good. Although I've had clear ones that tasted funky as well. The fact that they can taste so funky means that their "high pressure" pasteurization is probably not killing all the bacteria in the product. Similar to raw milk, this means you're only getting a good product if every step of the supply chain does their job properly, and if their protocols are proper in the first place (unlikely)

Kara Coco is the brand I prefer these days, it's pasteurized but has the best flavor and fewest ingredients.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom