The Peel Of Potatoes

Ahanu

I like to eat potatoes fried in CO without peeling it. (Out of lazyness) Does anyone know if this is especially bad? Thanks!!

paymanz

Yes natural toxins(natural defence) and pesticides are richer in skin I think.

FredSonoma

I did it yesterday for the first time and feel a tiny bit off today haha, not sure if it's from that though, I also ate a large amount of cocoa.

OP
Ahanu

Ahanu

I think heat destroys solanine.
thank u all and thank u Such for pointing to solanine! Wiki reads: For example, boiling potatoes reduces the α-chaconine and α-solanine levels by only 3.5% and 1.2%, respectively; the corresponding loss during microwaving is 15%. Deep-fryingat 150 °C (302 °F) does not result in any measurable change; significant degradation starts at ∼170 °C (338 °F), and deep-frying at 210 °C (410 °F) for 10 min causes a loss of ∼40%.[9] Freeze-drying or dehydration has little effect.[10],.
So heat has an effect as u said but it depends. So to be safe it would be better to peel it.. Damn it !!

BibleBeliever

Anyone have thoughts on calcitriol in nightshades, including potatoes?

Nightshades - Weston A Price

"Overconsumption of calcitriol from nightshade foods can circumvent the kidney’s control and over time lead to calcium deposits in the soft tissues such as the tendons, ligaments, cartilage, cardiovascular tissues, kidneys and skin. "

I have always noticed negative reactions when eating potatoes. They would give good muscle energy, but a negative effect on the mind and strange "deposits" that the article speaks of. Namely in the trap muscles, that go away after I stop consumption. However I will note that I always have eaten the peels and would boil them.

squanch

Anyone have thoughts on calcitriol in nightshades, including potatoes?

Nightshades - Weston A Price

"Overconsumption of calcitriol from nightshade foods can circumvent the kidney’s control and over time lead to calcium deposits in the soft tissues such as the tendons, ligaments, cartilage, cardiovascular tissues, kidneys and skin. "

I have always noticed negative reactions when eating potatoes. They would give good muscle energy, but a negative effect on the mind and strange "deposits" that the article speaks of. Namely in the trap muscles, that go away after I stop consumption. However I will note that I always have eaten the peels and would boil them.

Interesting, didn't know that.
Apparently calcitriol is the active form of vitamin D that is produced by the kidneys and regulates Calcium uptake from the intestines.

Couldn't find any information on the actual amount of calcitriol in potatoes and also nothing on the heat stability of it. Literally the only reference to calcitriol in nightshades I could find was this, which found it in the LEAFS of Solanum malacoxylon and Cestrum diurnum (the third plant isn't even a nightshade)

Might still be a good idea to take some k2 and magnesium when someone is consuming large amounts of potatoes daily, just to be sure.

3ball

Sorry, my first thought was, "Why is he cooking potatoes in carbon monoxide?"

Has anyone else read The Potato Hack. It's a pretty interesting document. I've been trying it out with some success. Of everything Peat says, it is his fear of starch that I find most puzzling. It makes a HUGE impact on the diet, but the reasons seem me pretty thin.

whodathunkit

Unpeeled potatoes only cause me problems when I overeat them, like when doing a potato hack and eating 2-3lbs cooked but unpeeled per day. Then it makes the joints of my fingers swell and ache when I get up in the morning. This aching quickly goes away when I stop eating peels.

Peeled potatoes don't seem to cause me problems in any quantity.

I don't worry about peels much unless I'm going be eating a lot of them like with a potato hack. In truth I like potato peels a lot and one of my favorite things is an overbaked potato (like 2 hrs baking), coated in coconut oil before putting in the oven, which makes the skin very crispy. Eat the soft inside with a little coconut oil or grassfed butter, and then eating the crispy skin is like having guilt-free potato chips. Mmmm. :hungry: