The Pauling Therapy For Cardiovascular Disease

montmorency

I recently posted a thread asking if people knew if Ray Peat had a view on the controversy (at least in some quarters) between those who think that L-ascorbic acid is vitamin C, and others who state that it isn't, and that there is supposedly a more "natural" form of vitamin C.

I don't want to discuss that issue here, but while looking for more evidence, I investigated the Vitamin C foundation further, including its forum and spin-off sites.

Now, I thought I knew a bit about Linus Pauling, but I hadn't really come across the "Pauling Therapy" for cardio vascular disease before. Of course he talks about heart health in his book "How to Live Longer and Feel Better", and of course he talks about the relevance of vitamin C, and also vitamin E. But so far as I can see, in that 1986 book, he doesn't talk about what came to be called the Pauling Therapy.

I think it must a have been developed a few years later ... I still haven't worked out the full chronology. He also collaborated with Dr Matthias Rath (himself a fairly controversial figure).

As one would expect, the Pauling Therapy involves high-dose L-ascorbic acid (or sodium ascorbate). The main new ingredient is L-Lysine. The reason is that it seems to have the ability to bind with Lp(a) particles, and prevent them from forming plaques. I think that Rath also thought that Proline did a similar job.

I think that the above therapy is proposed to prevent further laying down of plaques, but over time, it may also remove existing plaques. This may partly be because of an improved calcium metabolism.

Owen Fonorow, founder of The Vitamin C Foundation wrote a book "Practicing Medicine Without a License", after years of research, based mostly on Pauling's work. However, he has added some enhancements to the original therapy, which can be found in various places on the links which will follow.

He has collected a large number of testimonials from named individuals, apparently testifying to the success of this therapy. Of course these are not controlled trials, which Fonorow would like to see take place, as did Pauling. However, the chances of these happening seem a little slim, to say the least.

However, it is something that people can try for themselves, without prescription, and without too much expense.
If they can arrange to have a calcium test after undergoing the therapy for some time, then they should get some idea whether it is really working. If not, then a blood lipid test would at least be some indication.
Also, the testimonial givers often reported relief from major symptoms in a fairly short time, so one might hope that anyone else trying the therapy would find similar results.

The book:

http://practicingmedicinewithoutalicense.com

Article about the cause of heart disease:

http://vitamincfoundation.org/suppress.htm

The protocol (from the book, chapter 7):

http://www.practicingmedicinewithoutali ... m/protocol

Pauling Therapy website:

http://paulingtherapy.com

Testimonials:

http://www.internetwks.com/pauling/stories.htm

There may be other relevant links, but that's enough to start with.
I'll post a personal observation as a separate post.

OP
M

montmorency

One thing I have been wondering about is to what extent Pauling knew about the work of Broda Barnes. I would be surprised if he was not aware of this work. If he was, I don't know how he might have thought it fitted into his own ideas.

I might try asking Own Fonorow if he knows anything about this, but as I have now ordered his book, I think I'll wait till I've read that, as it may have the answer.

Alhough Pauling and Barnes seemed to have been looking at the problem in rather different ways, I don't think the ideas are necessarily incompatible.
Clearly thyroid status is extremely important, and I'm sure Pauling would have been fully aware of that. It's possible that following his protocol does actually improve thyroid status, if only indirectly. (But I am only speculating). And while poor thyroid status seems to impact cardiovascular health, it doesn't necessarily follows that good thyroid status guarantees cardiovascular health. In other words, it's possible that normal-thyroid people might benefit from Pauling Therapy as well as low-thyroid people. (again, pure speculation on my part).

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
This is very interesting and I am actually thinking of doing this protocol for a short time. I am hoping burtlancast weighs in. I noticed he posted a while back that he thought Linus Pauling therapy was legit.

Appreciate you posting this. :hattip

burtlancast

montmorency resumed very well the Pauling therapy for heart disease.

I don't remember Pauling talking about improved calcium metabolism though: he based himself on the fact animals don't get heart attacks and attributed this to adequate endogen production of Vit C , sustaining collagen metabolism which is able to repair damaged blood vessels.

Pauling pointed out atheromas nearly always hit arteries at bifurcation points, always subject to high blood pressures, and surmised those atheromas are a compensation mechanism by people deficient in Vit C, where the body uses lipids to repair damaged vessels instead of collagen.

Kind of another aspect of scorbut.

He never talked about Broda Barnes, or about hypothyroidism. But he did talk about Vit E and the Shutes.

The therapy seems to provide dramatic relief for some people, but not all. It worked for Fonorow big time, as he had a history of heart disease.
He made two presentations of the Pauling therapy on the Rense show, which can be found on youtube. I highly recommend them.

OP
M

montmorency

burtlancast said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/98220/ I don't remember Pauling talking about improved calcium metabolism though

No, I think I picked that up from somewhere on one of Fonorow's sites. Maybe it came from Rath. If I find the reference again, I'll post it.
If it's true, it might explain why just vit C and lysine (and maybe proline) can help de-calcify (although I thought the thing that they did was more to to with Lp(a). Fonorow seems to have added K/K2 to the protocol, which is reasonable enough I think. Perhaps it speeds up the de-calcifying effect.

I was already taking vitamin C & K2. I'm seriously thinking of adding Lysine and Proline. There is some Lysine in gelatin, but perhaps not enough for this protocol, unless one eats a ton of gelatin.

Last edited by a moderator:

HDD

From "How to Live Longer and Feel Better" by Linus Pauling:

"A diet high in unsaturated fatty acids, especially the polyunsaturated ones, can destroy the body's supply of vitamin E and cause muscular lesions, brain lesions, and degeneration of blood vessels. Care must be taken not to include a large amount of polyunsaturated oil in the diet without a corresponding increase in the intake of vitamin E."

Too bad I never read this book that has been on my shelf for at least 25 years! It is my husband's book and I showed him this quote this week. He is now convinced about pufa! Thank you for this thread!

burtlancast

Incidentally, it's by reading "How to Live Longer and Feel Better" that i became interested in the books by the Shute brothers on Vit E. :lol:

The establishment keeps pointing out how both brothers died of some heart ailment in their seventies, as to deride their work, but forget to mention how both of them were afflicted with a congenital heart disease that would have killed them much earlier had it not be for the Vit E they both took. :2cents

Makrosky

There's a thread discussing l-lysine for lowering serotonin and alleviating anxiety and depression.

Could someone please post a briefing of Pauling's protpol? How many grams of vitc, proline and vitE?

uuy8778yyi

Taking this much lysine causes bowel problems

Same for vitamin c

Proline in a hot drink as a sweetener may be better

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Makrosky said:
post 98521 Could someone please post a briefing of Pauling's protpol? How many grams of vitc, proline and vitE?

The protocol (from the book, chapter 7):

Attachments

• excerpt_chp7.pdf
    172.6 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:

uuy8778yyi

unfortunately he fell for the fish oil scam, and recommended carnitine - the most anti thyroid amino acid ever

although, Lysine converts to carnitine anyway and Pauling was taking 10 grams a day

J

jb116

how do you guys feel about the pufas that are stated to be added to the protocol?

ddjd

Lysine converts to carnitine? Why does peat like lysine then

Amazoniac

"cardiac contractility varies little from beat to beat so that each heartbeat produces a brief burst of intense turbulence that mobilizes debris from the inner walls of arteries and optimizes atherosclerosis resistance"

"atherosclerosis typically appears on the greater curvatures and bifurcations of large proximal arteries where turbulence is exponentially decreased"

Heart and hormones
"arrhythmia"

Last edited:

Amazoniac

So, members that along with me wonder why shoelaces are still in use, debris accumulation itself should create turbulence, however if the flow starts to even and smooth the surface, the unwanted stuff is incorporated and becomes part of the wall.

I guess it's not much different than problems anywhere in the body: chronic inflammation > fat accumulation > fibrosis and calcification to contain it.

Here's a related video from my mental facultor:

Ps.: Mito tried to punch my thyroid as hard as he could to reactivate it, but instead "accidentally" hit my Adam's apple, constricting my airflow, making me retain CO2, increasing my metabolism temporarily and quieting my singing thermometer, allowing me then to remember the existence of this video.

Last edited:

Regina

So, members that along with me wonder why shoelaces are still in use, debris accumulation itself should create turbulence, however if the flow starts to even and smooth the surface, the unwanted stuff is incorporated and becomes part of the wall.

I guess it's not much different than problems anywhere in the body: chronic inflammation > fat accumulation > fibrosis and calcification to contain it.

Here's a related video from my mental facultor:

Ps.: Mito tried to punch my thyroid as hard as he could to reactivate it, but instead "accidentally" hit my Adam's apple, constricting my airflow, making me retain CO2, increasing my metabolism temporarily and quieting my singing thermometer, allowing me then to remember the existence of this video.

Around Mito, it's prudent to wear a gorget with your tunic.

Queequeg

anyone following the Pauling Therapy and want to report on results? I just started a few days ago after getting a tightness in my neck from doing wind sprints. No more for me for a while.

I found an excellent presentation from one of Pauling's collaborators, Dr Rath

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals