The Organ Meats That Should Not Be Eaten (According To Ray Peat)

dabdabdab

how do you eat kidneys? barbecue them and they will taste absolutely delicious.

also look for halal versions since they don't contain blood due to the method of killing and removing the animals blood from meat.

i love sweetbreads aka thymus gland. It is the most delectable organ meat (or any meat) on earth properly cooked.

Dr. B

also look for halal versions since they don't contain blood due to the method of killing and removing the animals blood from meat.
was thinking of getting ancestral supplements blood product? as a small iron supplement...
i otherwise dont eat much iron so i was thinking of implementing ancestral products like their collection of organs, and blood...

J.R.K

I am going to have to disagree on the Halal products being the only meat products with the blood removed from them.
In the harvesting process of meat the animal is rendered unconscious first then the carotid and jugular veins are cut,”sticking” is the phrase used in the industry, the animals in inspected plants and establishments method of death is by insanguination.
If the blood were to be left in there would be rapid deterioration of the meat as the blood goes rancid quickly as the body cools and blood now stagnant from lack of movement will coagulate and blood clots will form inside the muscles veins and arteries. This is of course the main reason roadkill deteriorates rapidly combined of course with the expansion of gases from inside the gut and intestines.
The rendering unconscious is for animal welfare and humane reasons, there are severe penalties that can be imposed on establishments that do not adhere to animal welfare and proper stunning protocols.

dabdabdab

thanks, I really appreciate it.
some slaughterhouses kill by shotting the head without cutting the veins first.
also they claim halal taste better and has a better percentage of bloods removed.
stunning before slaughtering is becoming mandatory in lots of countries and is getting popular in halal meat slaughterhouses. so that wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

Michael Mohn

I used to buy wild hogs from hunters. Sometimes animals were hardly drained from blood. These animals tasted completely different and ten times better than well drained hogs, especially if you dry aged the meat correctly. Blood is a highly valued food by most pastoral people. I think this is where the practice of draining butchered animals of blood has started, to recover blood as food. Meat with blood is much more delicious and nutritious.

dabdabdab

I used to buy wild hogs from hunters. Sometimes animals were hardly drained from blood. These animals tasted completely different and ten times better than well drained hogs, especially if you dry aged the meat correctly. Blood is a highly valued food by most pastoral people. I think this is where the practice of draining butchered animals of blood has started, to recover blood as food. Meat with blood is much more delicious and nutritious.
this makes sense, I just don't get how iron can cause so much damage when it's one of the most essential parts of all organisms on earth

Michael Mohn

this makes sense, I just don't get how iron can cause so much damage when it's one of the most essential parts of all organisms on earth
If I remember correctly Peat said that accumulation of toxic iron in tissues is more a symptom of low/dysfunctional metabolism than normal consumption of iron in food. He thinks supplementing iron is dangerous especially in its elemental form or heavily oxidized form and a low iron diet might improve longevity but even Peat agrees that iron is essential. There is an overload of iron due to heavy grain and meat consumption and fortification with iron. But I won't stop eating red meat or chocolate because of fear of iron.

Last edited:

dabdabdab

thiamine removes excess iron maybe that's the link to metabolism. thiamine increases metabolism