The One Gut Bacterium You Have To Boost (and Here’s How)

piiccios

I have not specifically looked into bacterial redox signalling as I'm currently researching gut bacteria and PSSD, PFS, epigenetic modifications, etc., but I'm well aware that certain bacteria cause inflammation and promote leaky gut.

Ok, cool. Was just interested if you had some ideas on modulating the signalling to make the bacteria less inflammation promoting. Will keep an eye on your posts, cheers!

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Ok, cool. Was just interested if you had some ideas on modulating the signalling to make the bacteria less inflammation promoting. Will keep an eye on your posts, cheers!
Keeping inflammation low is probably the best way to reverse gut dysbiosis. So this include removing all problematic foods from your diet, lowering stress, getting out in nature, sleeping enough, etc., rather than focusing on specific bacteria strains.
However, if there is a stubborn inflammatory condition even when the above is in check, then specific anti-microbials or gut modulating substances can be used.

Sumbody

There is so much controversy over gut bacteria and if we should lower it or boost it or try to modulate it.
Well, we have a gut microbiota whether we like it not, so we have to make the best of it.

Lowering gut bacteria with antibiotics can be very helpful, but is rarely a long term solution. Eating the right diet will make the most difference, but we still have to optimize our lifestyle as well, because things outside the gut, such as stress, lack of sunlight, low vitamin D, nutrient deficiencies, lack of movement, poor sleep, etc., can also have a negative effect on the gut.

However, one bacterial species that seems to have a lot of benefits is Akkermansia muciniphila.

I wrote an article on the benefits of A. muciniphila and how to boost it:
The one gut bacterium you have to boost (and here's how) » MENELITE

Let me know your thoughts.

What effect do you think that Ceylon Cinnamon would have on this species?

I am experimenting with approximately 2.5 grams Ceylon Cinnamon every morning and although I have only been at it for about 2 weeks, I seem to be noticing less bloat and better digestion perhaps, as well as youthful appearing skin and overall great mindstate/mood.

Just curious as Ceylon Cinnamon is a powerful antibiotic to certain species. Curious how it may affect the species you mention?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
What effect do you think that Ceylon Cinnamon would have on this species?

I am experimenting with approximately 2.5 grams Ceylon Cinnamon every morning and although I have only been at it for about 2 weeks, I seem to be noticing less bloat and better digestion perhaps, as well as youthful appearing skin and overall great mindstate/mood.

Just curious as Ceylon Cinnamon is a powerful antibiotic to certain species. Curious how it may affect the species you mention?
I have not found a study that it specifically increases Akkermansia, but it does help to lower gut inflammation and it positively modulates the gut bacteria. Another benefit of Ceylon cinnamon is that it antagonizes both TLR2 and TLR4 which reduces immune responses and inflammation.

@Tarmander: A quick perusal of the Thryve site did not provide much information about what test results they give you. If you just wanted to know about pathogenic bacteria/fungi, would you get that information from Thryve? Or would you be better off with another lab test? OT, but you've clearly done your research on gut bacteria.

Tarmander

@Tarmander: A quick perusal of the Thryve site did not provide much information about what test results they give you. If you just wanted to know about pathogenic bacteria/fungi, would you get that information from Thryve? Or would you be better off with another lab test? OT, but you've clearly done your research on gut bacteria.
There are some better tests I have found, but they tend to be quite pricey and I am not sure they are really all that much better. For the price, thryve is great.

You will get the raw data and then want to use either

MicrobiomePrescription : Home Page
or
Biomesight Gut Microbiome Testing

How to use those sites is pretty complex but there are videos and walk throughs.

Eventually you will get to the point where you can find which foods will increase/decrease certain bacteria and what symptoms those bacteria are associated with

Sospian

Great stuff.

What do you think about L Reuteri and its ability to improve oxytocin levels?

I've found it helps reduce high serotonergic behaviours and improve my sense of humour

There are some better tests I have found, but they tend to be quite pricey and I am not sure they are really all that much better. For the price, thryve is great.

You will get the raw data and then want to use either

MicrobiomePrescription : Home Page
or
Biomesight Gut Microbiome Testing

How to use those sites is pretty complex but there are videos and walk throughs.

Eventually you will get to the point where you can find which foods will increase/decrease certain bacteria and what symptoms those bacteria are associated with

Thank you; that information helps.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Great stuff.

What do you think about L Reuteri and its ability to improve oxytocin levels?

I've found it helps reduce high serotonergic behaviours and improve my sense of humour
I think it can be beneficial. It's low in certain cognitive disorders and increasing it is useful.
How did you increase yours? Pro-biotic?

Peaches

I have not specifically looked into bacterial redox signalling as I'm currently researching gut bacteria and PSSD, PFS, epigenetic modifications, etc., but I'm well aware that certain bacteria cause inflammation and promote leaky gut.
Hi Hans! Thank you for the informative article. In your research into gut bacteria have you come across anything about long term effects of low dose antibiotics and how that can affect the health of the patient? I've recently been put onto low dose (50mg) doxycycline to manage a chronic health condition. Due to the severity of the condition, it's likely I'll be on doxy for the long run if it can manage to control the condition (and so far it has). I come from a background of thinking antibiotics were the root cause of all problems and avoided them like the plague but after reading some articles from Haidut I've changed my thinking towards them. However, being on them long term like this (I started on 22/07) still makes me worry - especially about these kind of beneficial bacteria that I'm probably destroying. Would certain supplements or asking to change to a different antibiotic after a period of time be the wise thing to do? Would there be no point in adding things like like cranberry, rhubarb, pomegranates etc to increase Akkermansia since the doxy would wipe them out anyway?

Sospian

I think it can be beneficial. It's low in certain cognitive disorders and increasing it is useful.
How did you increase yours? Pro-biotic?

Yes. I began with L. Reuteri ATCC 6475 which has a tonne of research behind it. The only problem is, the company Biogaia use only fractional quantities (200M CFU). After a while, the positive effects on my mood seemed to diminish, so I switched to Yamamoto Research L. Reuteri PBS072.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hi Hans! Thank you for the informative article. In your research into gut bacteria have you come across anything about long term effects of low dose antibiotics and how that can affect the health of the patient? I've recently been put onto low dose (50mg) doxycycline to manage a chronic health condition. Due to the severity of the condition, it's likely I'll be on doxy for the long run if it can manage to control the condition (and so far it has). I come from a background of thinking antibiotics were the root cause of all problems and avoided them like the plague but after reading some articles from Haidut I've changed my thinking towards them. However, being on them long term like this (I started on 22/07) still makes me worry - especially about these kind of beneficial bacteria that I'm probably destroying. Would certain supplements or asking to change to a different antibiotic after a period of time be the wise thing to do? Would there be no point in adding things like like cranberry, rhubarb, pomegranates etc to increase Akkermansia since the doxy would wipe them out anyway?
Yes doxycycline lowers Akkermansia (R), so I don't think adding Akkermansia boosting compounds will help much while you're using the doxy.

Yes. I began with L. Reuteri ATCC 6475 which has a tonne of research behind it. The only problem is, the company Biogaia use only fractional quantities (200M CFU). After a while, the positive effects on my mood seemed to diminish, so I switched to Yamamoto Research L. Reuteri PBS072.
@Sospian Can you provide supplier details.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals