The Ol' Meat and Potatoes Diet

Dean

This is something I've pondered for years....

Of course, I know Peat's feelings about starch overall. I know that starch-based diet advocates are also low(er) protein. I know there are more indigenous, traditional diets that are (heavily) starch-based than not. I know just about every food combining philosophy or practice I've ever seen recommends not eating protein and starch together.

Why then am I always struck when I eat a steak and baked potato meal at how good I feel physically and mentally afterwards? I feel entirely satiated, no cravings for a junky dessert or mindless non-hungry eating for several hours. I can't help noticing this because of how different it is from how I feel after I usually eat, whether I'm trying to apply Peat principles or not.

Is it a result of a gut/metabolism derangement that has the body programmed for self-destruction? Psychosomatic, maybe due to acculturation? Could it just be the right way to eat for some (a few)?

Peatful

I don’t have a ton of time here so I’ll be brief.

Others will chime in im sure.

1- I believe this forum has a lot more negative things to say about potatoes than Peat himself has said. It’s context remember. Peat has spoken favorably about potatoes; in context.

2- this meal makes you feel good because not only is it satiating but more importantly it balances your blood sugar- it’s probably 40/40/20 in macros. 40/30/30?
With that there is no stress response with your body balancing your BS.

We should aim to make more meals this way.

Its real food as well- not a liquid meal.

Veritas IV

Am unable to pull up a quote at the moment, but within the past year i had read a related Ray Peat comment. He had said that the amino acid Glycine allows for our digestive system to digest mixed foods, carbs+sugars, fats, proteins at the same time. He did not go into detail, and it may not be an ideal digestive combo, but it explained a few things for me when i had moments such as yours, heavily mixed meals followed by what felt like good digestion, satiation, mood and energy level.

Speaking of which, i learned to avoid coffee for an hour or two after meals. If i have it too soon afterwards i feel weird effects, but paid it no mind prior to discovering Ray Peat. I've read other's here have to wait 4 or 5 hours after a meal and that coffee "may" help promote starch persorption if drank too soon after certain foods. However, coffee before meals with a 15 minute gap seems to be fine for me personally.

Last but not least, if starches are properly prepared and cooked then they are more easily digested.

Each one of us here are different, but the fact that you feel "fine" with that meal combo may be related to what i've typed above.

OP
D

Dean

I should add a few clarifications...

While I do quite well with potatoes on the occasional basis, eating them regularly and especially making them the center of my diet doesn't work. I have issues with oxalates and solanine which quickly arise. I also find them constipating when eaten with frequency whereas the occasional one straightens me out in that way at least in the immediate term.

I do find though that I crave or prefer meat and starch meals in general. My go to restaurant preference is pho (meat and rice noodles). I can be quite satisfied eating grilled hamburgers just about all the time, etc.

VitoScaletta

a meal of potatoes and meat is very insulinogenic

Would be best to do something like:
Well-boiled Swiss chard (for the Potassium, which stunts the Insulin response)
Potatoes with a bit of butter
Oxtail soup (Glycine also stunts the stress response and Insulin)
Salt
Bit of fruit