The Official Unsubscribe Issue Testing Topic. Please Help Test! Yes, This Means YOU!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
As been reported by narouz, he is suggesting that the forum is unsubscribing him from topics. We are now starting the official process of testing for this issue, and if found, fixing it.

Please help with testing. To do so, first, subscribe to this topic. The instructions on how to do so are located at the link below.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p14185666

Then, go to your notification settings and make sure you have checked to receive email notifications for "Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed"

ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options

*Please note, you will only receive one email once someone has replied to a topic. You will not get another email until you have visited the topic, then the process is reset and you again will get one email when someone replies.

If you have time and are able, then please subscribe to a number of topics and test this out. I have subscribed to 3 topics for now and will be watching those.

Thank you for your help in coming down to the bottom of this reported issue. :hattip

Dan W

Done. For what it's worth, I subscribe to a ton of topics, and haven't noticed any unsubscribes.

I tried toggling subscriptions, and noticed that the message to do so is sent as an HTTP GET rather than POST, so I suppose some kind of browser add-on could be trying to "helpfully" precache the unsubscribe message somehow.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dan Wich said:
post 116773 I tried toggling subscriptions, and noticed that the message to do so is sent as an HTTP GET rather than POST, so I suppose some kind of browser add-on could be trying to "helpfully" precache the unsubscribe message somehow.
Hmmmm, interesting theory. Thanks Dan! :hattip

Last edited:

Giraffe

Dan Wich said:
post 116773 so I suppose some kind of browser add-on could be trying to "helpfully" precache the unsubscribe message somehow.
Dan, do you have an idea what could cause the problem thebigpeatowski and Narrouz have? I don't have problems, never had. I guess it is a browser thing.

See here:

Giraffe said:
post 116478
thebigpeatowski said:
post 115490 When I went to Preview my post to make sure the links were working (and naively clicked on them :banghead )I LOST THE WHOLE THING!!!

I screamed...shook my fists...begged/pleaded with my computer and finally cursed uncontrollably :cuss and went to bed.
:lol: Have you tried the backwards button in the browser? (You will need to click 'preview' again.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan W

Ironically, I just had a weird posting problem. :lol:

I don't have much on the "losing a post you're writing when navigating away" thing, I think it's up to the browser since PHPBB doesn't appear to be saving it internally. I notice Firefox and Chrome are better at saving the "draft" when you return back to the page, Safari doesn't even seem to try.

Here's a mod that supposed to save your "drafts" locally. I don't know how much mod-related hassle you're willing to put up with though, Charlie :lol:

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dan Wich said:
post 116817
Here's a mod that supposed to save your "drafts" locally. I don't know how much mod-related hassle you're willing to put up with though, Charlie
Dan I have been watching that extension and I am hesitate to install it. First, this person has not done any other extensions on PHPBB, second its still in "dev" mode which is totally a bad idea to install on a live board unless you are confident with the extension builder, which I am not. :(

Last edited:

Dan W

Never fear, we can just make a theme with background audio that whispers reminders like "don't click any links before poooooosting."

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have reproduced the unsubscribing issue. Moving forward with finding a solution. :hattip

narouz

Dan Wich said:
post 116773 Done. For what it's worth, I subscribe to a ton of topics, and haven't noticed any unsubscribes.

I tried toggling subscriptions, and noticed that the message to do so is sent as an HTTP GET rather than POST, so I suppose some kind of browser add-on could be trying to "helpfully" precache the unsubscribe message somehow.

I understand everything you just said, Dan.
Don't you think for one minute what you said went over my head!

narouz

I hesitate to mention this, but what the hell...
Just now when I tried to subscribe to This thread
I clicked "subscribe,"
and the gray shield went up,
and a message appeared saying something like:
"An error occurred in trying to subscribe."

But I checked and...I was subscribed.
This little weird thingy has happened to me before several times.
Not very important to me.
Just didn't want to miss the opportunity to clutter you guys' minds a little more.... :mrgreen:

narouz said:
post 116851
Dan Wich said:
post 116773 Done. For what it's worth, I subscribe to a ton of topics, and haven't noticed any unsubscribes.

I understand everything you just said, Dan.
Don't you think for one minute what you said went over my head!

HA HA HA!!!! Me too narouz.....not.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
narouz said:
post 116854 Just didn't want to miss the opportunity to clutter you guys' minds a little more....
You sir, are a PHPBB software bug finding rock star. :lol:

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
[ref]thebigpeatowski[/ref], sorry we cluttered up your thread. One of the mods will go back and clean up the testing posts. :hattip

charlie said:
post 116857 [ref]thebigpeatowski[/ref], sorry we cluttered up your thread. One of the mods will go back and clean up the testing posts. :hattip

No worries. I was just happy to see some action :lol:

SQu

Hi Charlie
I tried this. I've been getting emails. But far fewer notification alerts on the top right of the screen when I log in.
(Just for your experiment. It's not something that bothers me, in fact I'm going to unsubscribe again unless you want me not to just yet)

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
SQu said:
post 118352 It's not something that bothers me, in fact I'm going to unsubscribe again unless you want me not to just yet
SQu, thank you for helping. :D Feel free to unsubscribe, we will be changing over the forum software next week and that should do away with these issues.

Last edited:

Lin

I subscribed, and just now received the first notification. You guys have all been talking, and I didn't know about it!
Guess the new software will change all this, though.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Lin said:
post 118404 Guess the new software will change all this, though.
Actually the new software will make it much easier to subscribe and also keep track of your subscriptions. Subscriptions will carry over to the new software.

Last edited: