The New Way Of Speeding Up Transit Time For Amazing Bowel Health

neuroplasma

Great article but I was confused by the title. I would think that decreasing transit time means food passes through your system faster. In the article and title it's the opposite.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Great article but I was confused by the title. I would think that decreasing transit time means food passes through your system faster. In the article and title it's the opposite.
Thanks for pointing that out. What I meant to say was to speed up transit time.

Vileplume

Thanks Hans. I love your articles. What do you think about salt as a tool for speeding up transit time?

TheSir

For a while now, I've been observing the relationship between my tongue and bowel movements. There seems to be a clear connection between how clean my tongue is and how many times a day I poop. When I'm pooping once a day there's always some white coating. I used to think that the coating meant SIBO or some fungal infection, but now I'm starting to think that it's just a symptom of constipation.

Side-stepping the significance of long-term fiber supplementation, I've found that fiber can be used therapeutically to kick start the bowels. I was using two tablespoons of wheat bran for a few days to get to 3-4 bowel movements a day, after which my bowels stabilized to 2 movements a day without the bran. Before this I usually had one movement only.

Great article, thank you.

M. Smithii is mentioned. Chordyceps and ozonated magnesium and lovostatin are effective ways of lowering levels of M. Smithii. I have noticed that the first two items each seem to boost oxytocin.

Travis and I discussed this on an email thread awhile back.

Lovostatin may have some benefits for people using it, not from its effect on enzymes, but rather its effect on lowering M. Smithii.

Travis also said that Banaba was helpful due to its nickel-binding tannins, elagic acid specifically:

0sJ28OqWDgyQ9mKhXH98Up3SPmKwx7_AJM70MzAhlG-k-JQeTnbP9mrI7Rd3QmL7RV3vI-F3vYMSFCE-kQHFViIO9smiJxUe0veYEyqAMNtc4IuvRGD7ZS-tcvDtMHBAIuvsPNbF

Inaut

Thanks for sharing @Hans ! I think this is one of the most important things for health (or lack of it).

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks Hans. I love your articles. What do you think about salt as a tool for speeding up transit time?
Glad you enjoy them. :) I think salt is definitely useful, but not sure to which extent though. Meaning, if someone has slow transit time, I don't know how many hours salt would increase transit speed and at what dose. This would also differ a lot between individuals. I do think that salt can help with digestion as it promotes the release of stomach acid.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
For a while now, I've been observing the relationship between my tongue and bowel movements. There seems to be a clear connection between how clean my tongue is and how many times a day I poop. When I'm pooping once a day there's always some white coating. I used to think that the coating meant SIBO or some fungal infection, but now I'm starting to think that it's just a symptom of constipation.

Side-stepping the significance of long-term fiber supplementation, I've found that fiber can be used therapeutically to kick start the bowels. I was using two tablespoons of wheat bran for a few days to get to 3-4 bowel movements a day, after which my bowels stabilized to 2 movements a day without the bran. Before this I usually had one movement only.
Good stuff. The wheat bran dosing and duration must be enough to increase those bacteria that help to sleep up transit time, such as "Bifidobacteria (11); Lactobacillus (11); Atopobium (11); Enterococci (11); Clostridia (11); Lachnospiraceae (29); Eggerthella (29); Collinsella (29); Corynebacterium (29); Bacteroides (29); and Prevotella (29)." (R).

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Great article, thank you.

M. Smithii is mentioned. Chordyceps and ozonated magnesium and lovostatin are effective ways of lowering levels of M. Smithii. I have noticed that the first two items each seem to boost oxytocin.

Travis and I discussed this on an email thread awhile back.

Lovostatin may have some benefits for people using it, not from its effect on enzymes, but rather its effect on lowering M. Smithii.

Travis also said that Banaba was helpful due to its nickel-binding tannins, elagic acid specifically:

0sJ28OqWDgyQ9mKhXH98Up3SPmKwx7_AJM70MzAhlG-k-JQeTnbP9mrI7Rd3QmL7RV3vI-F3vYMSFCE-kQHFViIO9smiJxUe0veYEyqAMNtc4IuvRGD7ZS-tcvDtMHBAIuvsPNbF
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Here's what I found on lovastatin (R):

While it is generally believed that statins inhibit methane production via their effect on cell membrane biosynthesis, mediated by inhibition of the HMG-CoA reductase, there is accumulating evidence for an alternative or additional mechanism of action where statins inhibit methanogenesis directly. It appears that this other mechanism may predominate when the lactone form of statins, particularly lovastatin lactone, is administered.

The lactones of cerivastatin, simvastatin, atorvastatin, lovastatin, fluvastatin, and pravastatin, ordered according to decreasing hydrophobicity, are three to four times more lipophilic as compared to their acid forms.50 In other words, the lactones of lipophilic statins are best equipped to cross lipid membranes.

Recent evidence suggests that methanogenesis is preferentially inhibited by the lactone form of lovastatin. This and other evidence would suggest that lovastatin may have a different or an additional target other than HMGR. A possible target for the lactone form are enzymes in the methanogenesis pathway that have F420 as coenzyme.
Other natural sources of lovastatin include cordyceps, the methanolic extract of the fermented rice straw, oyster mushroom, red yeast rice, and Pu-erh.

I can't find anything on ozonated magnesium and M. Smithii though, do you perhaps have a reference or is it from personal experience?

Good info on the banaba and nickel.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Here's what I found on lovastatin (R):

While it is generally believed that statins inhibit methane production via their effect on cell membrane biosynthesis, mediated by inhibition of the HMG-CoA reductase, there is accumulating evidence for an alternative or additional mechanism of action where statins inhibit methanogenesis directly. It appears that this other mechanism may predominate when the lactone form of statins, particularly lovastatin lactone, is administered.

The lactones of cerivastatin, simvastatin, atorvastatin, lovastatin, fluvastatin, and pravastatin, ordered according to decreasing hydrophobicity, are three to four times more lipophilic as compared to their acid forms.50 In other words, the lactones of lipophilic statins are best equipped to cross lipid membranes.

Recent evidence suggests that methanogenesis is preferentially inhibited by the lactone form of lovastatin. This and other evidence would suggest that lovastatin may have a different or an additional target other than HMGR. A possible target for the lactone form are enzymes in the methanogenesis pathway that have F420 as coenzyme.
Other natural sources of lovastatin include cordyceps, the methanolic extract of the fermented rice straw, oyster mushroom, red yeast rice, and Pu-erh.

I can't find anything on ozonated magnesium and M. Smithii though, do you perhaps have a reference or is it from personal experience?

Good info on the banaba and nickel.

Ozonated magnesium oxygenates during gut transit killing M Smithii. And personal experience is that it works. The oxytocin increase also fascinates me and is from personal experience.

Risingfire

I really don't trust probiotics. I was losing weight very slowly using cynoplus and decided to add probiotics to remove endotoxin. I used this one: Probiotic & Endotoxin Reducer

I thought it would speed up the weight loss process. It had the opposite effect. It's taken a month to get back on track. I gained 8 pounds and have had a hard time sleeping.

MitchMitchell

Wouldn’t the easiest way be a focus on eating a very low residue diet instead of popping ever more pills?

carnivore base, most likely milk based rather than meat I’m not sure. Plus low starch ripe fruits and juices, well cooked greens. Leave colon alone.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Wouldn’t the easiest way be a focus on eating a very low residue diet instead of popping ever more pills?

carnivore base, most likely milk based rather than meat I’m not sure. Plus low starch ripe fruits and juices, well cooked greens. Leave colon alone.
That's basically my approach + combining various lifestyle habits such as walking, sunlight, proper sleep, etc.
However, some people might be following such a diet and are still not getting the benefits they want and can benefit from other methods.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I really don't trust probiotics. I was losing weight very slowly using cynoplus and decided to add probiotics to remove endotoxin. I used this one: Probiotic & Endotoxin Reducer

I thought it would speed up the weight loss process. It had the opposite effect. It's taken a month to get back on track. I gained 8 pounds and have had a hard time sleeping.
It does depend on which one you use though. Various bacteria can have widely different effects on the gut.
To remove endotoxin, I'd rather use activated charcoal and some anti-bacterial substance such as coconut oil.

cjm

Thanks, Hans! I found milk kefir to be the single most effective transit time reducer for me. I had employed all the Peat classics and some of the Idealbs stuff for intestinal health but never had any lasting results until the kefir. Heavy daily pot smoking did me in, I heard it slows transit time. But I did a two week course of the kefir recently and the overall changes in health were remarkable -- everything works better with a few BMs a day! I saw your article yesterday and started brewing a new batch. Cheers!

MitchMitchell

That's basically my approach + combining various lifestyle habits such as walking, sunlight, proper sleep, etc.
However, some people might be following such a diet and are still not getting the benefits they want and can benefit from other methods.

makes sense. My experience helping people is that something tends to hinder them when it’s time to go all in and just trust an “extreme” diet for a short bout of time.

However if we have data showing dysbiosis then why not introduce drugs, for sure.

Zpol

Interesting article.

@Hans

Have you ever heard of squalamine? My doctor won't prescribe neomycin so I've been looking for other ways to dismantle the methanogenic microbes. I came across squalamine. So far, I think it's only being used to treat constipation attributed to Parkinson's disease but I'm looking for more info on it.

We herein review the state of knowledge regarding the in vitro and in vivo susceptibility of archaea to antimicrobial agents, including some new molecules. Indeed, some archaea colonizing the human microbiota have been implicated in diseases such as periodontopathy. Archaea are characterized by their broad‐spectrum resistance to antimicrobial agents. In particular, their cell wall lacks peptidoglycan, making them resistant to antimicrobial agents interfering with peptidoglycan biosynthesis. Archaea are, however, susceptible to the protein synthesis inhibitor fusidic acid and imidazole derivatives. Also, squalamine, an antimicrobial agent acting on the cell wall, proved effective against human methanogenic archaea. In vitro susceptibility data could be used to design protocols for the decontamination of complex microbiota and the selective isolation of archaea in anaerobic culture.

@Hans: Appreciate your very helpful work on improving GI health. I now suspect slow intestinal transit may play a big role in my health problems, and I look forward to trying some of your recommendations.

In your article, I did not see any mention of coffee or caffeine. Coffee has worked for me in the past; not sure how much it's helping now.

Last edited:
OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks, Hans! I found milk kefir to be the single most effective transit time reducer for me. I had employed all the Peat classics and some of the Idealbs stuff for intestinal health but never had any lasting results until the kefir. Heavy daily pot smoking did me in, I heard it slows transit time. But I did a two week course of the kefir recently and the overall changes in health were remarkable -- everything works better with a few BMs a day! I saw your article yesterday and started brewing a new batch. Cheers!
Sweet. Is there a specific starter you use?