The Myth Of Low SHBG And High Free T

Andreas

Testosterone boosting regiments usually focus on maximizing free T by lowering SHBG but this may be a contradictory approach. Instead of taking testosterone out of action, sex hormone binding globulin actually makes testosterone more useful and more active.

Refer to this study: Sex Hormone Binding Globulin Modifies Testosterone Action and Metabolism in Prostate Cancer Cells
When they conducted sex hormone binding globulin tests, they found that SHBG actually increases the testosterone in your body. Because if you have a low SHBG level, your body picks up and metabolizes your testosterone too quickly by your cells.

"IN THE PRESENCE OF SHBG, THERE IS REDUCED TESTOSTERONE UPTAKE BY THE CELLS, BUT, DISPOSAL AND INACTIVATION OF TESTOSTERONE IS REDUCED…THE EFFECTS OF TESTOSTERONE ON ANDROGEN IS INCREASED."

Clinically, estrogen receptor antagonists (Tamoxifen, Clomid) stimulate SHBG. While estrogen receptor agonists (Tibolone) cause a downregulation in SHBG.

Low SHBG may be a sign of chronic disease such as obesity, low insulin levels, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, apnea, inflammation, hypothyroidism and elevated triglycerides.

Substances such as caffeine and creatine increase SHBG.

SHBG will increase in men as testosterone levels fall over time. Maybe the body just tries to compensate the low T with sex hormone binding globulin to make testosterone more active?

TLDR:
  • Total testosterone counts, while free testosterone is meaningless
  • SHBG levels should be high, not low

Aleeri

My experience says the reverse, I struggled for years with upper end or outside range SHBG, high total T and low free T. I had ED issues even with estrogen in balance.

After going Peat and focusing more on thyroid, stuff changed, with all the sugar from fruits and milk my SHBG came down a lot and free T went up. I gained muscle, constant morning wood and have no ED issues anymore.

I think that you want SHBG not too high but not too low either. Same thing with free T. There are studies out there especially on free T and muscle mass which show a clear benefit.

jet9

My experience says the reverse, I struggled for years with upper end or outside range SHBG, high total T and low free T. I had ED issues even with estrogen in balance.

After going Peat and focusing more on thyroid, stuff changed, with all the sugar from fruits and milk my SHBG came down a lot and free T went up. I gained muscle, constant morning wood and have no ED issues anymore.

I think that you want SHBG not too high but not too low either. Same thing with free T. There are studies out there especially on free T and muscle mass which show a clear benefit.
Aleeri could you post your approximate diet (food list) and what supplements do you take?

My lab tests showed very high T, high estrogen, high SHBG and low free T.
Looking for natural ways to solve it.

Aleeri

Aleeri could you post your approximate diet (food list) and what supplements do you take?

My lab tests showed very high T, high estrogen, high SHBG and low free T.

My diet and sups are in constant flux and experimentation hehe, but I keep a log with labs.

I used to have close to zero sugar in my diet, after introducing at least 200-300g fructose/lactose daily and half a grain NDT I saw a -10 nmol/L drop in my SHBG down to 44 in 2-3 months. Free T and bioavailable T went up as well. I was lifting twice a week but I had been doing that previously for some time as well.

If you can handle milk, I would focus on low-fat milk as a majority of calories like I did and 100g white button mushrooms or more daily (will take care of the estrogen). I also consume lots of guava as a carb source since it is easy to get the juice here, contains apigenin which is an aromatase inhibitor. Chamomile tea is an alternative source for apigenin. My estrogen levels have been stable on Peat style diet without extra anti-estrogen supplements, which is a first for me.

Maybe throw in some aspirin too until you get the high estrogen sorted.

In general, I think getting SHBG down is all about increasing sugars and making sure you do not have estrogenic/phytoestrogen foods in your diet such as flax, soy, nuts etc.

SHBG will increase in men as testosterone levels fall over time. Maybe the body just tries to compensate the low T with sex hormone binding globulin to make testosterone more active?

TLDR:
  • Total testosterone counts, while free testosterone is meaningless
  • SHBG levels should be high, not low
I agree, :D

You forget to mention that you also were on androgenic herb.

I think the higher your Total testosterone and the lower the free T, the less effective your enzyme-system is to convert the precursor (testosterone) into other metabolites. This could be fixed by supporting the HP-thyroid axis, via thyroid or Ashwagandha or Licorice root or Rhodiola. High estrogen needs to be eliminated via the liver, supporting herb for that is Milk Thistle.

[edit] With high estrogen it increases SHBG. But then supporting the thyroid function could take over the SHBG part which should lower the estrogen.
...My lab tests showed very high T, high estrogen, high SHBG and low free T.

Last edited:

Aleeri

You forget to mention that you also were on androgenic herb.

I don't count it as I do not feel a difference with or without it, I have not been using it since those labs which are a few months now. Butea only increases 5ar and DHT, which I believe I have always had high levels of anyway, I never had a low reading on labs for it.

Aleeri

No like this, there are more also but don't have the time to find them again now, I believe I posted them before in my thread.

Relationship between low free testosterone levels and loss of muscle mass. - PubMed - NCBI

Low TT was not associated with sarcopenia. Low cFT (odds ratio = 2.14, 95% confidence interval: 1.06-4.33) and FT (odds ratio = 1.83, 95% confidence interval: 1.04-3.22) were associated with sarcopenia. Low FT may be a predictor of risk for muscle loss in Japanese men.

Damn, I just realized, this low SHBG could be why estrogen works against hairloss in men coz estrogens induce SHBG. You see, Dht and estradiol have the same action when binded to SHBG which has a receptor also in hair follicles. Then it is plausible that the DHT found in balding scalp is not being bound in the case of having low SHBG and so E2 and DHT end up doing uncontrolled inhibition and damage then. hehe

Lets check for studies in balding men with low SHBG

...and here we have:
Hormonal Profile in Indian Men with Premature Androgenetic Alopecia
Decreased levels of SHBG with high free androgen index were found in cases when compared with the controls.

[edit]more relevant stuff Update Low Sex Hormone Binding Globulin a Marker for MPB

This is a nice relevant piece:
Do You Know Your Sex Hormone Status - page 1 | Life Extension
SHBG: The Master Regulator for Testosterone and Estrogen
"New evidence further indicates that the SHBG molecule itself plays another key role in the body: conveying essential signals to the heart, the brain, and adipose (fat) tissue that ensure their optimal function.13 There’s even a special SHBG receptor molecule on cell surfaces that functions much like the ubiquitous vitamin D receptor protein, helping cells communicate with one another.14,15 In other words, SHBG itself functions much like a hormone."

Aging Humans and Increasing SHBG: An Overlooked Threat
"As you age, SHBG levels may steadily rise, even though your production of sex hormones continues to decline.8,16 The result? SHGB binds to what few sex hormones you have remaining and reduces their bioavailability to cells in your body.

With elevated SHBG in the blood, too much testosterone may be sequestered and thus functionally unavailable to healthy tissues. Because testing for SHBG is largely overlooked, many older men (and their doctors) may be led to believe through standard testing that they have “normal” total testosterone levels—but since most of it may be bound to elevated levels of SHBG, in actuality they may be testosterone deficient.16"

SHBG – A Modulator to be Modulated
SHBG
Role
: Bind to and carry testosterone (and less strongly E2 and DHT) through the blood stream to target tissues and to the liver for modification and removal from the body. This bond is very strong. The bound testosterone is not easily removed from the SHBG and is therefore considered inactive.

Production Sites
: Liver mostly, testes, brain

Production Signals: Estradiol, triiodothyronine (T3)

Down-Regulated by: Insulin

Aliases: ABP (androgen binding protein), SSBG (sex steroid binding globulin), TEBG (testosterone binding beta globulin), GBG (gonadal steroid binding globulin)

Action: Controls clearance and bioavailability of testosterone

Drugs that Raise SHBG via Increasing Prolactin:

• Antipsychotics (both typical and atypical)
  • Antidepressants (SSRIs, Tricyclics, MAO-Is)
  • Xanax and Buspar
  • H2 Antagonists (Cimetidine, Ranitidine)
  • Morphine
  • Some Antihypertensives
Drugs that Raise SHBG:
  • Raloxifene (Evista)
  • Tamoxifen
  • Spironolactone
  • Anticonvulsants (Phenytoin)
  • Oral (but not transdermal) estradiol
  • Ethinyl estradiol (oral contraceptives)
  • Metformin
  • Exogenous insulin in Type 2 DM
  • Coffee!
Drugs that Suppress SHBG:
  • Progestins
  • Glucocorticoids
  • Exogenous insulin in Type I DM
Genetics
  • Some people have a genetic variation in their SHBG structure that slows or speeds its degradation leading to high or low levels. Current research projects are studying specific SHBG SNPs with regard to risk of Type 2 diabetes
How to Influence SHBG:
Pinpoint the cause of the imbalance whenever possible and instead of trying to lower a high SHBG and raise a low SHBG, zoom out to support balance in the system. If SHBG is high or low, look deeper. Always consider the main endocrine inputs: INSULIN, ESTRADIOL, THYROID.

Accompanying Tests:
  • Fasting Insulin
  • HgbA1c
  • Sex Steroids (E2, T, DHEA-S)
  • Thyroid Panel (TSH, fT3, fT4)
  • LH and FSH
  • IGF-1
  • Prolactin
  • Liver function tests

Aleeri

I am curious why this is: "Down-Regulated by: Insulin"

Like what is the functionality behind that? I did read some article once speculating about testosterone levels going down after a meal (especially a high sugar one) is probably because it makes it enter the cells which is not a bad thing. It would make sense though that SHBG goes down since there is less of it to transport then no?

Many websites claim sugar is bad for testosterone levels but I have found it to have no effect or even a positive effect.

bluefish

SHBG – A Modulator to be Modulated
SHBG
Role
: Bind to and carry testosterone (and less strongly E2 and DHT) through the blood stream to target tissues and to the liver for modification and removal from the body. This bond is very strong. The bound testosterone is not easily removed from the SHBG and is therefore considered inactive.

Production Sites
: Liver mostly, testes, brain

Production Signals: Estradiol, triiodothyronine (T3)

Down-Regulated by: Insulin

Aliases: ABP (androgen binding protein), SSBG (sex steroid binding globulin), TEBG (testosterone binding beta globulin), GBG (gonadal steroid binding globulin)

Action: Controls clearance and bioavailability of testosterone

Drugs that Raise SHBG via Increasing Prolactin:

• Antipsychotics (both typical and atypical)
  • Antidepressants (SSRIs, Tricyclics, MAO-Is)
  • Xanax and Buspar
  • H2 Antagonists (Cimetidine, Ranitidine)
  • Morphine
  • Some Antihypertensives
Drugs that Raise SHBG:
  • Raloxifene (Evista)
  • Tamoxifen
  • Spironolactone
  • Anticonvulsants (Phenytoin)
  • Oral (but not transdermal) estradiol
  • Ethinyl estradiol (oral contraceptives)
  • Metformin
  • Exogenous insulin in Type 2 DM
  • Coffee!
Drugs that Suppress SHBG:
  • Progestins
  • Glucocorticoids
  • Exogenous insulin in Type I DM
Genetics
  • Some people have a genetic variation in their SHBG structure that slows or speeds its degradation leading to high or low levels. Current research projects are studying specific SHBG SNPs with regard to risk of Type 2 diabetes
How to Influence SHBG:
Pinpoint the cause of the imbalance whenever possible and instead of trying to lower a high SHBG and raise a low SHBG, zoom out to support balance in the system. If SHBG is high or low, look deeper. Always consider the main endocrine inputs: INSULIN, ESTRADIOL, THYROID.

Accompanying Tests:
  • Fasting Insulin
  • HgbA1c
  • Sex Steroids (E2, T, DHEA-S)
  • Thyroid Panel (TSH, fT3, fT4)
  • LH and FSH
  • IGF-1
  • Prolactin
  • Liver function tests

I recently did my T blood work (second time I had it done) and I’m very new at looking at these numbers but it basically looked like everything was good... but my SHGB was kinda high. Seems my free T would be doing better if I could lower my SHGB. Based on this post... how do I ‘look deeper’? Again, I’m super new at this so ... looking for pointers how to begin figure this stuff out. Thanks

baccheion

SHBG is ideally ~20 nmol/L (15-25 to have a buffer) combined with a 40-60:1 TT:estradiol ratio.

bluefish

SHBG is ideally ~20 nmol/L (15-25 to have a buffer) combined with a 40-60:1 TT:estradiol ratio.

My SHBG was 53 nmol/l which is ‘acceptable’ based on the range they provide but it’s quite high. After doing basic research online (this is how I found this forum and idealabsdc), I learned that DHEA can lower high SHBG (but T levels are very complicated so I’m not assuming much). I started using pansterone... then switched to gonadin. But idk if either of these help w lowering SHBG. Seems something is slightly out of wack.

baccheion

My SHBG was 53 nmol/l which is ‘acceptable’ based on the range they provide but it’s quite high. After doing basic research online (this is how I found this forum and idealabsdc), I learned that DHEA can lower high SHBG (but T levels are very complicated so I’m not assuming much). I started using pansterone... then switched to gonadin. But idk if either of these help w lowering SHBG. Seems something is slightly out of wack.
One approach is directly lowering SHBG. Another is determining why it's high. Do you have any nutrient deficiencies? Are you eating enough? Are you getting enough saturated fats? Is T3 normal? What about estrogen?

bluefish

One approach is directly lowering SHBG. Another is determining why it's high. Do you have any nutrient deficiencies? Are you eating enough? Are you getting enough saturated fats? Is T3 normal? What about estrogen?
Right... The best way to deal with this is determining why it’s high and adjusting... I’m pretty sure I’m getting enough saturated fats... all the other factors I’m not totally clear on. I can begin to look into each one of those.
I should mention I’ve been doing a ‘slow-carb’ diet ... which, based on Aleeri’s comments on lowering his SHBG... perhaps is part of why mine is as high as it is.

Last edited:

baccheion

Right... The best way to deal with this is determining why it’s high and adjusting... I’m pretty sure I’m getting enough saturated fats... all the other factors I’m not totally clear on. I can begin to look into each one of those.
I should mention I’ve been doing a ‘slow-carb’ diet ... which, based on Aleeri’s comments on lowering his SHBG... perhaps is part of why mine is as high as it is.
What supplements do you take?