The Most OVERLOOKED Peat Quote

schultz

He said AT LEAST 180g.

This is how I interpret it as well. Obviously it would differ from person to person based on height, gender, muscle, activity, etc, but I think every adult should be getting at least 180g. I think for me personally I would feel like I'm starving if I ate only 180g of carbohydrates. I'm only at 1200 calories today so far (it's 12:37 ATM) and my carbohydrates are at 215g. 180g might be for like a 100lbs female...

What about the "Ray recommends 80g+ of protein a day and says that ~120g should be enough even for the most active individuals." quote? haidut has mentioned this recommendation many times here in his posts. Though Ray has said he doesn't feel good without at least 150g of protein a day.

And people forget that carbohydrates spare protein. So if you have 120g protein with 500g carbohydrates, that protein is going to go a lot further than if you have 120g protein and 50g carbohydrates. In the latter scenario you might even be protein deficient.

I think for me personally I would feel like I'm starving if I ate only 180g of carbohydrates.
I bet Ray is cautious about bringing up how much carbs is fine because people are so carb-phobic. In one interview the interviewer asked if he could eat broccoli as the carbs with protein when Ray talked about needing to eat carbs with protein. xD

Jessie

What's the mechanism for this? I heard about tryptophane turning into serotonin, but how do fats play a role in serotonin synthesis ?
I don't know exactly off the top of my head. Haidut talks about this in a interview with Danny. But he has also posted here on the forum about it too. Here's the specific interview: . Danny is a amazing human and timestamps everything, lol. So the part you're looking for is at 50:00 minutes.

This states dried carrot. Cronometer has 2.8g of fiber for 100g of fresh, raw carrot.

Wow you're right, I totally missed that. Still though, 2 grams for fresh carrots dosen't seem exactly right either. A carrot can't be 90% water. Idk though, now I'm just confused haha. Maybe there's a discrepancy in different types of carrots. Like 100 grams of whole, peeled, and shredded carrots. Versus say 100 grams of baby carrots.

Kvothe

This suggests otherwise, 13.8 grams of fiber per 100 gram serving: Insoluble Fiber: Foods High in Insoluble Fiber Content

That information is false. To get this much fiber from carrots you would have to eat about half a kilogram. The USDA databank and all the publications I have seen say carrots (raw or cooked) contain 2-3 grams.
Fibre-mediated physiological effects of raw and processed carrots in humans - PubMed

Peat has said the protein deficiency statement many, many, times. Have you read any of his articles? Have you listened to any of his interviews? It's like nobody on here actually studies any of his work. Moderate protein is a something Peat has reiterated so many times. (No, 150g isn't high)

Yes, I have - all of them. But I also go off on my own and develop my own models based on the best scientific literature I can find, and, more importantly, my own experience. Both, practical and theoretical aspects lead me to the conclusion that such a high protein intake is harmful in many ways. His practical protein recommendations are also odd since they directly contradict many of the important protein issues that he himself has highlighted. I won't repeat them here, but there is a reason that Ray has repeatedly said that a lot of an adult's protein intake might/should come from gelatine. I can't see how eating 150 grams of protein from meat/fish, cheese, and milk cannot be harmful.

schultz

I bet Ray is cautious about bringing up how much carbs is fine because people are so carb-phobic. In one interview the interviewer asked if he could eat broccoli as the carbs with protein when Ray talked about needing to eat carbs with protein. xD

Haha, I remember that! That's pretty funny. I don't remember Ray's response though... Might have been that really drawn out "yeeeaah"

Ableton

Wow, so you have to eat little solid food in order to avoid diarrhea? What happens if you eat a normal human amount of solid food, you get diarrhea?

Having to be extra careful during your day to make sure you don't soil your pants is not a person that is healthy.

You wont like to hear this but a healthy person is robust, strong, can eat what they want (within reason) and be able to function. Whatever you're doing isn't working, and from what you've said, IMO, you arent healthy.

This is my problem with some members here in a nutshell. Many incredibly unhealthy members are giving out too much advice and people listen. I personally would not take health advice from someone that risks diarrhea on a daily basis.

Holy smokes, nice comment
I did not write down a whole day of eating down, which includes a solid breakfast and dinner.
What gives me disrrhea is fluids/fruit in absence of solid food/fat, which is why I incorporate it during the day, despite it slowing me somewhat down (which is fine at dinner).
You just read my comment and because you don’t like it automatically assume I’m unhealthy.
I’m not claiming to bevthe healthiest person, wouldn’t be here if that was the case. But what I do gives me great energy levels, and I am lean and muscular as ****

@Zigzag im not even that active, maybe a total of 3 h sports a weak, low-medium intensity. But I have a background of High intensity sports and this seems to be enough to maintain. I eat fairly clean. High fat and I gain weight though, I experimented with this.

Ableton

Someone explain to me please where I’m wrong?

why do some people gain weight on high carb, others on high fat? I said it elsewhere, I literally gain weight on 2,5k cal, high fat. My temps fall if I do that.
I keep weight on 4k cal, low fat high carb. High body temps.

how the **** is that different for others?

How helpful are cals as a measurement, when its in my experimental experience all about the randle cycle?

Haha, I remember that! That's pretty funny. I don't remember Ray's response though... Might have been that really drawn out "yeeeaah"
I think he said something like yeah broccoli is fairly starchy.. O___O I remember being like wtf no starch in broccoli?? Anyway sometimes I think Ray is just too polite.

Zigzag

@Ableton I wonder how come we are so different. I'm having issues losing weight on a 2k kcal diet (6ft), same highish carbs, lowish fat. It's like our metabolisms are on completely different levels.

Ableton

@Ableton I wonder how come we are so different. I'm having issues losing weight on a 2k kcal diet (6ft), same highish carbs, lowish fat. It's like our metabolisms are on completely different levels.
And my thyroid is not even great...
My waking temps are pretty bad still
Same height
I guess the easiest explanation is muscle mass difference, and perhaps hormonal difference. I am probably higher in all hormones, good (androgens) and bad (stresshormonws)
But still, I wonder the same
I would think you are very low in stress/adrenaline/nervous system
Maybe insulin problems as well, idk

B___Danny

Same height
I guess the easiest explanation is muscle mass difference, and perhaps hormonal difference. I am probably higher in all hormones, good (androgens) and bad (stresshormonws)
Saturated Fat is anti-stress. Weight gain is not a sign something is unhealthy. Most of the time, the opposite is true.

Ableton

Saturated Fat is anti-stress. Weight gain is not a sign something is unhealthy. Most of the time, the opposite is true.
I agree if we are talking super lean, which I was, and it wasn’t healthy and very pro stress.
But fat tissue is also estrogenic, and that is not good. So weight gain is far from being a good thing for most people imo

B___Danny

I agree if we are talking super lean, which I was, and it wasn’t healthy and very pro stress.
But fat tissue is also estrogenic, and that is not good. So weight gain is far from being a good thing for most people imo
Proof?

Zigzag

Same height
I could literally starve myself for 3 days just to see weight increase :D. Also I doubt it's the stress hormones. Hardcore OMAD + loads of coffee + yohimbine HCL, which ramped my adrenaline to the point I thought I was being attacked and weight was like "yeah, I'm not moving". I might have insulin issues though. Also I probably hold a lot of water weight.

famalalam

If you're stressed, the carbohydrates you eat will still compete with fatty acids for uptake regardless of the amount of fat you're eating.

I personally gained a lot of weight eating a similar diet to Ray's with an emphasis on milk, honey and some fruit after doing a low-carb diet for a few years. The weight gain lasted for about a year, adding on an extra 20kg, but the extra weight slowly started going away without effort. I'm having a tougher time gaining weight than losing weight now, much like how it was when I was a child.

Tansia

I'll throw in 2 cents here.
I think most people who have health problems that find their way here for answers have the same primary root problem with one or more of several secondary problems.

The primary cause is inefficient carbohydrate metabolism, plain and simple. Sugar goes in which produces too much lactic acid and not enough carbon dioxide.

The secondary problems which can potentially surround this are many:
-SIBO, dysbiosis, fungal infection or parasitic infestation
-low vitamin D status
-high phosphorus:calcium ratio
-quantitative and qualitative lack of sleep
-sedentary lifestyle
-overabundance of liver congesting substances like emulsifiers, thickeners, anti-caking agents, supplement excipients, etc
-low stomach acid
-weak adrenals from chronic stress
-lack of electrolytes, namely salt and potassium
-high methionine:glycine ratio
-lack of organic plant minerals such as shilajit, trace minerals, etc

I'm sure I'm missing some stuff, but it seems like everyone who has a health problem has...
1) adrenals that are in the dumpster which creates blood sugar and
2) liver glycogen storage (liver moreover) issues which then creates a lack of
3) thyroid hormone conversion

Meanwhile the lungs are trying to mop of the excess serotonin production of the sluggish gastrointestinal tract, the kidneys are dumping electrolytes in the process of preventing over-acidity of the blood... And whatever other downstream issues are hitting the gall bladder, pancreas, and gonads.

If a cold person with a slow metabolism eats too many carbs, they're going to slam white fat as a defense reaction for sure. Seems pretty straightforward
From my experience I agree with all your points. What Will be the right starting point for a typicalperson you described @Twohandsondeck ?

From my experience I agree with all your points. What Will be the right starting point for a typicalperson you described

There are two things that come to mind. This is advice I would give myself in retrospect in an attempt to avoid 1-2 years worth of "experiments" and dietary interventions that didn't help resolve my issues.

1) 1/4 cup castor oil + 1 teaspoon of 100% pure gum spirits of turpentine taken in the morning on a day off in order to clean up the small intestine. I know this forum is big on antibiotics but I've always chosen to avoid them like the plague. Maybe this is my mistake to avoid antibiotics, but this concoction of castor oil + turpentine took away bloating/gas that I constantly ran into after eating complex carbohydrates (even bananas). It wasn't until I did this that I could eat rice, bananas, and apples once again. Basically soluble fiber fked me for years due to some kind of small intestine problem, but this is the last solution which really gave me a benefit that I would correlate to the use of antibiotics that some members post on here.
*I'm just guessing, but I'd wait at least 60 days before doing this again. It's really hard to put a number on how frequently this can be done because it's such a tremendous cleanse, akin to a colonic hydrotherapy session with lasting benefit, really.

2) Adopt a fruit + antifungal herb diet (black walnut hull, clove, wormwood, ginger, turmeric, cascara, etc) for at least 1-2 weeks. I don't have any science here, I have just experienced a great balancing reset by fruit fasting for 1-2 weeks at a time. It might have something to do with bolstering the spleen and kidneys which purifies the blood, getting rid of extra nitrogen from large amounts of meat consumption over years, stopping all fat intake while also giving the liver a copious amount of fructose, and also that fruit takes little digestive effort which gives the stomach a break. There's much speculation, but fruit seems to be the safest thing to digest.
If someone has a wicked fungal infection, then overeating just fruit without any additional herbal support might not work, which is why I wrote the 1/4 cup castor oil + 1 teaspoon turpentine remedy as something to consume first. In my estimate, this will at least purge whatever problematic fungal infestation that exists in the upper intestine which might disrupt fruit metabolism.

The continued use of herbs for several weeks will help to purge any remaining fungal issue. I've found activated charcoal to be useful when taken before bed on an empty stomach.

By the time that the tongue is clean and the bowel movements are no longer foul sewage, then a strict reintroduction of milk, fruit, and insoluble fiber should help to re-establish the bacterial colonies of the colon so that they are once-again secreting acids for good digestion.

Honestly I think milk is the litmus test for digestion, especially for evidence of a fungal infection. If someone gets any kind of negative kickback from consuming milk, then I believe they either have a fungal problem or they are lacking nutrients such as zinc, B-vitamins, sodium, potassium, etc.

YourUniverse

Honestly I think milk is the litmus test for digestion, especially for evidence of a fungal infection. If someone gets any kind of negative kickback from consuming milk, then I believe they either have a fungal problem or they are lacking nutrients such as zinc, B-vitamins, sodium, potassium, etc.
I think milk is the litmus test for healthy hormonal balance. If your blood levels of calcium are already high, from cortisol and estrogen, milk will probably taste terrible to you and may do more harm than good. Loving milk to me is a sign of proper hormone production