The Most OVERLOOKED Peat Quote

What brand of wormwood/clove/black walnut did you use? Or where did you buy it from?

Never actually tampered with wormwood as an isolate, it was just the first ingredient in an antiparasitic blend I bought one time.

Clove is available in the spice section of many grocery stores or health food stores.

The black walnut hull was in 500mg capsules from Solaray on Amazon, something like $8. They seem more effective if taken without the capsule.

And I agree, theory is not always reality. I think the perfect example of this is many are pushing Faraday cages for emf protection. If only people actually looked at the science of a real cage vs a theoretical one they would realize why this is not a good decision.
You mean they don't ground the cage?

L

Lord Cola

“I think fiber is always a risk (I avoid them all except for occasional well cooked mushrooms and bamboo shoots, which are germicidal). The foods you list contain all the essential nutrients.”
“[Fiber-free diet possible?] I’ve had a fiber-free diet for many years.“ Ray Peat
But then he recommends that one eats a daily carrot. What did he mean by these quotes?

Jessie

But then he recommends that one eats a daily carrot. What did he mean by these quotes?
Fiber tends to ferment in the intestine, and bacteria feed on it. Both the "good" and the "bad" bacteria (like cholesterol, I'm not convinced there is good and bad bacteria, there's just bacteria). When the bacteria proliferate enough, it begins to climb up into the upper digestive system causing SIBO. The carrot fiber is a natural "antibiotic" of sorts, so it pushes the bacteria back into the colon. In a very morbid plot twist, conventional wisdom thinks probiotics is the way you stop SIBO. But whenever people take a probiotic, they're immediately giving themselves SIBO, lol. It's a sick joke.

Jennifer

@Lord Cola, what Jessie said. Even the carrot salad can be “risky.” For years after Ray wrote me that quote you posted, I found it interesting that he never mentioned eating the carrot salad, too. I ended up coming across one of his interviews this year where he mentioned that he stopped having the carrot salad because after 20 years of having it daily, he found that it was feeding bacteria. It feeds my bacteria, too. I really messed up my gut consuming a 100% plant-based diet for years and getting an insane amount of fiber (100+ grams) daily.

L

Lord Cola

@Lord Cola, what Jessie said. Even the carrot salad can be “risky.” For years after Ray wrote me that quote you posted, I found it interesting that he never mentioned eating the carrot salad, too. I ended up coming across one of his interviews this year where he mentioned that he stopped having the carrot salad because after 20 years of having it daily, he found that it was feeding bacteria. It feeds my bacteria, too. I really messed up my gut consuming a 100% plant-based diet for years and getting an insane amount of fiber (100+ grams) daily.
That's interesting. I don't remember him talking about eating carrots or mushrooms every day in recent interviews.
I feel like my digestion and elimination were much better when I didn't eat any fiber - carrot, mushrooms, etc. Though carrots helped with acne when I first started eating them, and this motivated me to eat one every day, they seem to cause horrible blockage in the lower part of the colon, and the feeling that something is always stuck there. Maybe they should be eaten occasionally only when there are bacteria related problems, like a course of antibiotics.
Have you had problems with bacteria since avoiding fiber?

Jennifer

That's interesting. I don't remember him talking about eating carrots or mushrooms every day in recent interviews.
I feel like my digestion and elimination were much better when I didn't eat any fiber - carrot, mushrooms, etc. Though carrots helped with acne when I first started eating them, and this motivated me to eat one every day, they seem to cause horrible blockage in the lower part of the colon, and the feeling that something is always stuck there. Maybe they should be eaten occasionally only when there are bacteria related problems, like a course of antibiotics.
Have you had problems with bacteria since avoiding fiber?

Huh, that’s interesting. The lower part of my colon is where my trouble spot with fiber is. I no longer have problems with bacteria since going low fiber, no. My tongue stays clean/pink even by the end of the day and TMI WARNING—I have ghost wipes most days and my eliminations are odorless. If my digestion slows down such as during times of stress, I just take some cascara (tincture) and my digestion is back to normal. I’ve also had good results with brewed mycotoxin-free cacao nibs.

Gypsumking

There are two things that come to mind. This is advice I would give myself in retrospect in an attempt to avoid 1-2 years worth of "experiments" and dietary interventions that didn't help resolve my issues.

1) 1/4 cup castor oil + 1 teaspoon of 100% pure gum spirits of turpentine taken in the morning on a day off in order to clean up the small intestine. I know this forum is big on antibiotics but I've always chosen to avoid them like the plague. Maybe this is my mistake to avoid antibiotics, but this concoction of castor oil + turpentine took away bloating/gas that I constantly ran into after eating complex carbohydrates (even bananas). It wasn't until I did this that I could eat rice, bananas, and apples once again. Basically soluble fiber fked me for years due to some kind of small intestine problem, but this is the last solution which really gave me a benefit that I would correlate to the use of antibiotics that some members post on here.
*I'm just guessing, but I'd wait at least 60 days before doing this again. It's really hard to put a number on how frequently this can be done because it's such a tremendous cleanse, akin to a colonic hydrotherapy session with lasting benefit, really.

2) Adopt a fruit + antifungal herb diet (black walnut hull, clove, wormwood, ginger, turmeric, cascara, etc) for at least 1-2 weeks. I don't have any science here, I have just experienced a great balancing reset by fruit fasting for 1-2 weeks at a time. It might have something to do with bolstering the spleen and kidneys which purifies the blood, getting rid of extra nitrogen from large amounts of meat consumption over years, stopping all fat intake while also giving the liver a copious amount of fructose, and also that fruit takes little digestive effort which gives the stomach a break. There's much speculation, but fruit seems to be the safest thing to digest.
If someone has a wicked fungal infection, then overeating just fruit without any additional herbal support might not work, which is why I wrote the 1/4 cup castor oil + 1 teaspoon turpentine remedy as something to consume first. In my estimate, this will at least purge whatever problematic fungal infestation that exists in the upper intestine which might disrupt fruit metabolism.

The continued use of herbs for several weeks will help to purge any remaining fungal issue. I've found activated charcoal to be useful when taken before bed on an empty stomach.

By the time that the tongue is clean and the bowel movements are no longer foul sewage, then a strict reintroduction of milk, fruit, and insoluble fiber should help to re-establish the bacterial colonies of the colon so that they are once-again secreting acids for good digestion.

Honestly I think milk is the litmus test for digestion, especially for evidence of a fungal infection. If someone gets any kind of negative kickback from consuming milk, then I believe they either have a fungal problem or they are lacking nutrients such as zinc, B-vitamins, sodium, potassium, etc.
@Twohandsondeck this is really interesting and I have a feeling it would really help a lot of people. Castor oil cleanses are definitely a great way to clean the intestines and I think the all fruit diet for a couple of weeks could have huge benefits too. Out of interest what fruits were you consuming? Whole fruits or juice? Do you think it may work better to remove all pulp or would the fibre be necessary to keep the bowels moving? A lot of people dont do well with fruit fibres so it would be intersting to hear your experience.

rei

"I think a person of average size should have at least 180 grams per day, maybe an average of about 250 grams."

In my opinion this is the most overlooked and important of Peat quotes for people on this forum to read. Many people here experiencing health problems, or even creating new health problems for themselves are eating many hundreds of grams from carbs, I have seen members attempting to reach 1000g of carbs. This ISN'T in line with what Peat thinks.

On a typical 2500 calorie diet, 180g of carbs is around 30%. This is very reasonable and a moderate amount of carbs. I truly believe many of the health problems on here are created or are fuelled by an excessive amount of carbs.

With protein at 150g of the diet and 24% calories, this leaves 127g of fat and at 46% of the diet, all within fairly moderate and sensible amounts.

People get sucked into the trap of going to extreme lengths with things Peat praises, he says around 2000IU vitamin D is good, people take 50,000 for example. If people actually read Peats guidelines and stuck to closer than 180 than 250 I bet many people would feel better.
You seem to have overlooked it also. It says AT LEAST 180, preferably around 250. If you are physically active, 300.

But eating excessive carbs when your body is not ready to handle it will cause harm like this recent study found Consuming Sucrose- or HFCS-sweetened Beverages Increases Hepatic Lipid and Decreases Insulin Sensitivity in Adults

Last edited:

Vins7

SamYo123

Peats calorie intake lowered when his metabolism improved. Stay warmer for longer on less food

rei

What are the main causes of not being ready tobhandle carbs?
i would say eating badly leads to intestinal issues and malnutrition, and PUFA overload, leading to metabolic syndrome. But there are as many opinions on this as there are health researchers :)

Last edited:
@Twohandsondeck this is really interesting and I have a feeling it would really help a lot of people. Castor oil cleanses are definitely a great way to clean the intestines and I think the all fruit diet for a couple of weeks could have huge benefits too. Out of interest what fruits were you consuming? Whole fruits or juice? Do you think it may work better to remove all pulp or would the fibre be necessary to keep the bowels moving? A lot of people dont do well with fruit fibres so it would be intersting to hear your experience.
Red grapes worked the best by far. It was basically 80/20 red grapes/oranges when I did this. Apples and peaches didn't digest well on account of the pectin or fiber I think. Bananas weren't ideal because they have so little water and digest like starch more often than not.

I don't doubt freshly made fruit juice would work well but I was just too lazy to use machines to process it.

The next thing that dramatically improved my health after this was milk fasting and basically from this period of post-castor-oil to mid-milk-fasting my gut peristalsis was extremely weak so if I didn't use water enemas at least once a day (up to 3x a day) to stimulate peristaltic contraction, I'd quickly suffer inflammatory consequences that I'd chalk up to constipation.

After this, my bowel movements became notably regular whenever I used NDT, small doses of cascara sagrada (less than 1/8th teaspoon), and upped my water & salt intake.

Whole food vitamin C (<1g/day), zinc (5-7mg/1-2x/day), and magnesium supplementation also had/have a noteworthy effect on transit time.

Dutchie

Lately, I've been reading up more on Sibo.
Dr.Mark Pimentel supposedly is one of the docs leading the field on Sibo and IBS.

He has put together a low fermentation diet (less strict than Fodmap). This low fermentation eating seems to be somewhat inline with some of Rays recommendations (roots over leafs, carrots, mushrooms,potatos/white rice/white flour,no sugar alcohols and sweeteners like stevia....though bamboo shoots are on the no-list)

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Apparently frozen castor oil capsules are even more effective for clearing the small intestine. Will try it out when my castor oil freezes completely(could take a week in my freezer).
@Inaut
Did you buy castor oil that was already in gelcap form and freeze that, or did you somehow freeze small amounts of castor oil?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals