The more submissive, the more authoritarian

K

Kayaker

If true, it has horrible implications for giving women the right to vote, with them being the naturally submissive sex. Is it then a surprise that authoritarian political measures have increased in tandem with female empowerment?
The education system empowers submissive people. They become "successful" and respected by people, who then try to be like them. The brave people within the pools of successful people are the whistleblower professionals. Then they get discredited and reputation ruined. This is far more impactful than women voting. Feminism is probably mostly a "divide and conquer", as well as diversion tactic.

Drareg

I am a big fan of both Baudrillard and Kaufman's work, so I am thrilled to see them being mentioned here - I must thank @'peataphysique for bringing them up and some very insightful posts, these are marvelous. I didn't know about his views on the age of consent, nor had I read some of the texts you had mentioned, I am grateful for your knowledge.

I think to say Synecdoche New York is about a viral outbreak detracts somewhat from a wonderful film which is, to me, about artistic process, fiction, and memory - it is quite (post?) Modernist in some senses. Perhaps it is prescient in some ways, but I think the comments it makes about creative endeavor are timeless. The first time I saw it in the cinema, I sat there in silence with a friend of mine, long after the credits had finished rolling and the curtain closed - the staff had to ask us to leave; it's almost rather draining. One of my favorite films, but one I can't re-watch often.

The film sums up a lot of Kaufman's concerns, it is like a much more extensive version of Adaptation or Being John Malkovich, both of which he also worked on. I think being given directorial freedom allowed him to really expand on some of those themes he didn't have as much scope to explore in depth when he was only a writer. A lot of what I love about Synecdoche New York is relatable to what I love about Simulacra and Simulation, actually.

Baudrillard is fantastic, Simulacra and Simulation was very easy to read and is one of my favourite texts - and at numerous points he does make rather eerily prescient comments. To be rather reductive in turn; at one point he describes in detail how much of societal development and human behavior is like a snake eating itself. Many of the arguments I've seen @Drareg make about what you call "wokism" are similar; that a subsection of people might rail so strongly against a particular thing (perhaps authoritarianism in this instance) are, with time, doomed to become a version of the thing they once sought to destroy; sometimes this reaction might initially be motivated by some cultural trauma (or at least sold that way). It's been many years since I was able to discuss it with anyone and I shall have to re-read as many of his works as I can in the next few weeks now. Forgive me if you feel I've misrepresented his ideas here, would you agree, @'peataphysique , or am I very far off the mark?

Also, I didn't realise Barthes was signatory to that petition! I was about to dust off Image, Music, Text as a warm-up, but I suppose I'll look at something else instead. Perhaps he would say we should divorce him from his work...
I watched synecdoche New York, It seemed like he was entertaining a fugue visually, he recreates himself and other characters, he wants them to simulate him but they take on a life of their own from interacting with the environment. A baroque style of movie.

I sometimes wonder if human life via epigenetics passed on is some sort of fugue like state playing out, we have posted studies on here that the entire cell may carry information from the past not just the genome.

A fugue is broken when notes are brought in that don’t harmonize, sounds that don't have harmony have noise, this implies a lower energetic capacitance within the wave, incoherency, we can apply this to the woke, lower bioenergetic tissue capacitance therefore incoherent to social harmony.

Feedback loops like fugues can evolve into novel entities, I think this movie is something like that and hence it’s effect on many who watch it.

If you get around to reading him again maybe start a thread, no rush.

Random :2cents:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals