the mind racing at night

mamaherrera

I had a sleepless night last night. I still go to bed at 2, but last night I couldn't sleep until 6 am. I had my usual milk/gelatin/sugar/salt. I know it's adrenaline because although my eyes are tired, my body and mind want to start doing things. Does adrenaline raise prolactin??? I've suffered with this badly for the last five years. I get fearful that it's going to cause me to get retinal degeneration early from all my self-produced stress (it's in our genes) so then I start thinking every fearful thing, and it makes everything else worse. Any suggestions??? Even when I wake up now, my heart is racing. Don't know if I should exercise today, as how I'm feeling. this sucks and it makes me mad that nothing helps me sleep, once the brain starts thinking.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I have been sitting under my red lights right up until the point I fall asleep to help counter/blunt the effects of the stress of darkness. The stress hormones do rise at night. I had insomnia type issues for most of the prior 15 years before discovering Peat. Are you still breastfeeding by chance? If not, maybe some benadryl before bed as a short-term tool while you are working on your metabolism could help. I know many forum members have used it successfully myself included.

OP
M

mamaherrera

i found a 100 watt flood light, red. I almost burned my eyes as I had it six inches away, but thankfully i wasn't looking directly at it obviously. I will try sleeping under it. It does get hot, so I think I'll stay a bit more away. thanks, hopefully it helps.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm not real sure about flood lights honestly and I think it's best to have at least a total of 250 watts. If you can find incandescent with clear glass they should not put off unbearable heat! I found mine in the light bulb section of my local hardware store in decorative lighting and they fit into any regular lamp base.

Mittir

RP recommends clear bulb. In red bulb orange light is missing.
He also recommends at least 200 watt for significant benefits.
RP talked about a study that lowered cortisol after sunset with bright light.
I read a study that used 10,000 flux to lower Cortisol after sunset.
I am not sure if these two are the same study.
You can check what is the lux value on the box.

Endotoxin and gut irritation are common cause of sleep disturbance.
I can usually trace back what food i ate in the evening that is causing the sleep problem.
It is also easier to load up on glycogen if you eat small amount of sugary
snacks 2-3 times, every hour or two after sunset.

OP
M

mamaherrera

where do you all get your clear bulbs and how do you make it red light, then?? Now I'm more confused than ever. How do you all make your red lights???

J

j.

mamaherrera said:
where do you all get your clear bulbs and how do you make it red light, then?? Now I'm more confused than ever. How do you all make your red lights???

You don't have to make it red. It just has to have red frequencies. White light is a combination of various frequencies. This is the spectrum of incandescent lights (clear glass), note that it has red more than any other frequency.

spectrum-incandescent.jpeg

For comparison purposes, this is the spectrum of CFL cool white:

ecoSmartTrueColor_12-0911-xln-56112789p.jpg

It has very little red. Ideally there should be a lot of red and little blue.

OP
M

mamaherrera

OH my goodness, was I lost. So can anyone give me a link to these bulbs, PLEASE??? POR FAVOR?? To make my life a little easier. If you have a link to home depot or Lowe's, so I can go get one of these.

Mittir

That is a common confusion. The clear bulb light has all the visible colors in it.
But regular incandescent bulb with clear glass cover has more
red and orange light than blue light. Mixture of all these colors
looks yellowish.Here is a link to a bulb that RP recommends.
I believe this kind of high voltage bulb needs special setting
http://www.amazon.com/Bulbrite-250BR40H ... G6D1781MWZ
Here is a link to clear incandescent bulb.
http://www.amazon.com/Incandescent-Ligh ... bulb+clear

Difference between regular bulb and heat lamp is that one generates a lot of heat
and the other one generate smaller amount of heat. I use regular bulb as it minimized
the risk of over heating .RP recommends that heat lamp mainly for winter.
Here is a link to red light therapy thread
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=187&hilit=red+light+therapy+bulbrite
You will probably need one of these reflector
http://www.amazon.com/Bayco-SL-302B3-Br ... y_hi_img_y

OP
M

mamaherrera

so are you saying a red heat lamp should never be used?? Never red glass I mean??? It can be heat lamp, but clear. Do you find that the clear incandescent bulb works as good as the one RP recommends???

J

j.

Red has benefits too, you would just miss the benefits of the orange frequency, since both are good.

J

j.

mamaherrera said:
so stick with the clear incandescent?

Sure. Why not try both and see which one you like more (assuming you already have both)?

Mittir

Yes, clear incandescent is good. Any kind of red light is good: red incandescent, red LED, red Laser etc.
He recommends both clear incandescent regular bulb and clear incandescent heat lamp.
There is not a big difference in terms of red and orange lights between these two bulbs.
The study RP mentioned about cortisol, they used bright light from sunset till bed time.
But, any amount of this light is beneficial. You can figure out by experimenting which amount
is good for you. Light therapy also can increase your need for vitamin A.

OP
M

mamaherrera

well maybe I will keep my red flood light and add some incandescent in the same lamp fixture

Mittir

RP seems to think clear incandescent heat lamp is better than regular clear bulb.
Because heat lamp has very little blue light. He mentioned that exposing skin to
light is important. Covered part of body will not get the beneficial light.
I am not sure about the minimum distance. It should be a comfortable distance
if you are using these bulbs for both regular lighting and light therapy.

J

j.

Mittir said:
Covered part of body will not get the beneficial light.

I think the covered parts will get some of the benefits due to circulation of blood, but the overall benefit is greater with more skin exposed.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I generally have them 8-12 inches from me. Another forum member mentioned 12 inches as a good distance. I also try to have as much skin exposed as possible.