The Milk Diet And Ray Peat

Lucenzo01

Just letting you know a funny coincidence. Before discovering Ray Peat I was doing the milk diet: you only take raw milk and rest for a time until you regain health. I was 8 months in and the results were great. Sadly I lost my source of raw milk and had to adapt my diet, and here is were I discovered Peat. And noticed a lot of similar things between the milk regimen and Peat:

- If you can't find raw milk, the diet is done with orange juice and pastured milk.

- They recommended a low fat milk as it was considered easier to digest.

- They recommended a HUGE amount of milk, at least a gallon for males.

- They sent to their patients to rest in hot baths or in bed for several weeks, no exercise until regaining health.

It's a really interesting topic, and if someone is interested the book it's called The milk diet (lol), not original but brilliant.

OP
L

Lucenzo01

Peat said that a pure milk diet would require iron supplementation at some point.

What's the worst that could happen eating potatoes and milk daily?

There are various cases when they only drank raw milk for years and no iron deficiency where detected. There are a lot more lactoferrin in raw milk than cooked. Maybe with cooked milk would be an issue but orange juice could be a solution. Funny how two completely different perspectives met at the same point, one from biochemistry (Ray Peat) and the other from common sense ( the milk doctors).

tankasnowgod

The Milk Diet by Bernarr Macfadden! Yep, I've seen that. The all milk diet was also used by Charles Sanford Porter in the early 20th century, and also recommend by J.C. Crews of The Mayo Clinic.

I wouldn't doubt that the iron lowering mechanism of The Milk Diet is part of the reason why it seemed to work for so many different diseases. Compare the ones it was used for with a list of diseases associated with high iron levels, and you'll see quite a bit of overlap.

I quite enjoyed Bernarr Macfadden's biography by Mark Adams. I think it's called "Mr. America- How Muscular Millionare Bernarr MacFadden changed the nation through Sex, Salad, and The Ultimate Starvation Diet!"

OP
L

Lucenzo01

The Milk Diet by Bernarr Macfadden! Yep, I've seen that. The all milk diet was also used by Charles Sanford Porter in the early 20th century, and also recommend by J.C. Crews of The Mayo Clinic.

I wouldn't doubt that the iron lowering mechanism of The Milk Diet is part of the reason why it seemed to work for so many different diseases. Compare the ones it was used for with a list of diseases associated with high iron levels, and you'll see quite a bit of overlap.

I quite enjoyed Bernarr Macfadden's biography by Mark Adams. I think it's called "Mr. America- How Muscular Millionare Bernarr MacFadden changed the nation through Sex, Salad, and The Ultimate Starvation Diet!"

Nice to see someone else is aware here. I actually perefered the Charles Porter book, but both are good.

tankasnowgod

Nice to see someone else is aware here. I actually perefered the Charles Porter book, but both are good.

By the way, why did you do the Milk Diet for 8 months? Did you have some specific disease? Or just generally not feeling well? All of the recent testimonials either used it for weight loss, or as a general experiment. Those older books talk about dramatic improvements for serious diseases at the time.

OP
L

Lucenzo01

By the way, why did you do the Milk Diet for 8 months? Did you have some specific disease? Or just generally not feeling well? All of the recent testimonials either used it for weight loss, or as a general experiment. Those older books talk about dramatic improvements for serious diseases at the time.

Not feeling well overall and fungal overgrowth.

Idea of milk diet is actually 1800+ years old, and possibly much older but written sources are dated pre 2nd century. Charaka Samhita, foundation of Ayurveda.
Screenshot_20200229-184952.png

those all sound like interesting reading material.

I do have one question though, because I don’t think iron is bad. I think phosphate is what causes iron accumulation, calcification, cell death etc.

Iron citrate reduces high phosphate-induced vascular calcification by inhibiting apoptosis. - PubMed - NCBI

iron = fireman
Fire = high phosphorus
Milk diet = high calcium to phosphorus ratio, lots of fats and sugars and relatively low protein

tankasnowgod

those all sound like interesting reading material.

I do have one question though, because I don’t think iron is bad. I think phosphate is what causes iron accumulation, calcification, cell death etc.

Iron citrate reduces high phosphate-induced vascular calcification by inhibiting apoptosis. - PubMed - NCBI

iron = fireman
Fire = high phosphorus
Milk diet = high calcium to phosphorus ratio, lots of fats and sugars and relatively low protein

Sorry, I don't see a question in your post.

Iron isn't "bad" necessarily, after all, it is essential for life. All life, with the possible exception of some strains of lactobacillus. There are issues with iron that go beyond phosphate, as E.D. Weinberg discovered that it encourages bacterial growth like no other element, and can completely neutralize antibiotics. People that walk over iron rich soil barefoot will develop cancinomas on their feet. Weinberg also showed data that iron dextran injections can cause health issues, and even death, when they were given to African babies.

The study you posted is a single in vitro study. I'm not sure what conclusions you can make about iron loading from that.

From smoking to supplements to iron fortification, there are lots of ways to increase iron intake. According to USDA data, Iron intake is the highest it's been in the last hundred years, and since most of that is due to fortification, it's likely the highest in human history. All sorts of diseases are associated with high iron levels, and reducing levels, either via phlebotomy or chelation, will improve symptoms.

Lol I forgot to ask my question indeed.

But your post made me do some extra research and helped set things straight. I’m adding iron to the list of minerals that ought to be reduced alongside phosphorus.

foolish but.... Is high iron causing inflammation causing depression causing self inflicted bleeding causing lower iron causing relief??

Last edited:

Beastmode

Milk is definitely a game changer the more I can drink it. My cap is 4-5 cups per day, but it would be awesome to get it up to a gallon to see what happens.

FoodForeal