The Many Ways To Get Carbon Dioxide - Do Effects Differ And How?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

By your definition, it makes bicarbonate sound superior - if I burp out the excess CO2 quickly, what does it do me?
Superior in that it doesn't get excreted quickly when it's in excess? Not so because it is slow in correcting excess alkalinity, or alkalosis.

On burping, I have no idea what it would do. Are you thinking you would burp? I don't recall ever burping as a result of drinking soda personally. If it ever happened, it would be inconsequential as I don't recall being the least bit being affected by it.

YourUniverse

Superior in that it doesn't get excreted quickly when it's in excess? Not so because it is slow in correcting excess alkalinity, or alkalosis.

On burping, I have no idea what it would do. Are you thinking you would burp? I don't recall ever burping as a result of drinking soda personally. If it ever happened, it would be inconsequential as I don't recall being the least bit being affected by it.
Hmm, interesting. Carbonated drinks do make me burp. Maybe this indicates my co2 levels are adequate? I want the carbon to distribute into my blood and do it's healing, but quick elimination would make that impossible, no?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Hmm, interesting. Carbonated drinks do make me burp. Maybe this indicates my co2 levels are adequate? I want the carbon to distribute into my blood and do it's healing, but quick elimination would make that impossible, no?
Does burping also occur with plain soda water? Could it be that it's the other ingredients in soda pop causing this? Just making sure.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I think he said he used something like a paintball canister of CO2 and a regulator.

7.5% CO2 is very high compared with normal atmospheric CO2. 5% is pretty high too. I imagine quite a lot of people who have chronic unaware hyperventilation would take time to adapt. I thought there was a CO2 set point mechanism of some sort, which can be gradually retrained. Trying to suddenly push the CO2 level much higher than current set point might be perceived as stressful?

I breathed in CO2 at 5% for an hour. I didn't feel anything but I was only testing Carbogen's breathing unit. I have no plans yet on using it on a regular basis, so I won't know whether it will benefit me or impact me adversely. I don't think I'll have a problem as far as having pulmonary obstructions that will keep me from expelling excess CO2, but I'm not interested now in increasing my serum CO2 as it affects my blood pressure.

accelerator

You can get carbon dioxide externally from different sources - thru carbonated water, thru bicarbonate intake (sodium bicarb, potassium bicarb, magnesium bicarbonate, calcium bicarbonate), thru carbogen ventilation, and thru a carbon dioxide bath.

Since I could now make my own carbonated water, I've also making my own magnesium bicarbonate. I've also got Steve's Carbogenetics carbogen breathing machine (discontinued) setup and have used it once. And I've also got his carbon dioxide therapy bath, although I have to get another tank fitted to it to use it.

So, yes, I've got the 4 ways to increase CO2 with me.

I'd like to run a few experiments with these to see how much all these have in common, as well as how much they differ, as to their effects on us. I'll be using myself as a test subject, and although I wish there could be more, it's harder and less practical to do. So, my conclusions would be limited to my own context, but even then, it will still be helpful as a starting point.

What prompted me to think about this experiment is my experience with improving my CO2 retention using Buteyko. When I increased my control pause with Buteyko, which indicated higher CO2 retention, I notice that it increased my blood pressure (again, this is my context. Others in my Buteyko class did not experience what I did). In contrast, when I ingest sodium bicarbonate, my blood pressure went down. Consistently.

It appears that increasing CO2 by controlled breathing and increasing sodium bicarbonate intake does not have the same effect on me, as far as blood pressure is concerned. I wonder, in this instance, if it's because increasing serum CO2 lowers serum pH while increasing bicarbonate increases serum pH. Or it's just because increasing serum CO2 has an immediate effect on increasing tissue oxygenation, and this is causing my body to react in a way that wants to limit the increased tissue oxygenation (again, I have high blood pressure due to lead toxicity, and this is my context).

Nevertheless, the ways we can get CO2 increased differ in method, and I'd like to know if each of these methods would have its own unique effects. With the carbogen breathing machine, it is thru increased respiratory intake of carbon dioxide. With the carbon dioxide therapy bath, it is thru own skin pores. With carbonated water, it is thru our digestive system in the form of dissolved carbon dioxide in water. With sodium bicarbonate, it is thru our digestive system in the form of bicarbonate.

Having a better idea of these different ways would answer questions as to which method is more appropriate for any given situation. One may ask "If I can increase CO2 by simply ingesting bicarbonates, or by intake of carbonated water, why would I need the expense of a breathing machine, or the expense and trouble of a carbon dioxide therapy bath?

A cost-effective way is what I would like to find out. One way may be least costly, but will it be significantly helpful? And another way that is more costly might just be overkill.

If you have any suggestions as to how you'd go about a study like this, would very much appreciate your suggestions.

I wonder if something like this would be beneficial
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Exhale-M...6754&wl11=online&wl12=323955089&wl13=&veh=sem

MeatOrchid

@yerrag what do you think of adding baking soda or magnesium carbonate to a humidifier?
it does cover he whole room in fine white dust.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals