julcreutz

You hear all the time from low-carb/keto/carnivore people that the introduction of low-fat products and the governmental push of low-fat diets is a major cause of today's health problems.

So I actually tried to dig up nutrition statistics over the ages.
If you actually look at the statistics, fat intake has increased dramatically from 1900-1970, and then decreased only very slightly from 1970-2000. So where is that low-fat era they're talking about?

upload_2020-11-1_17-41-55.png

upload_2020-11-1_17-38-39.png

https://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/canres/35/11_Part_2/3246.full.pdf

upload_2020-11-1_17-38-49.png

Trends in Intake of Energy and Macronutrients --- United States, 1971--2000

Of course, it's not all animal fat, but still. Linoleic acid has more than doubled from 1900-1970. Starch has decreased like crazy.

I have no idea what they're defining as a "low fat diet", but I wouldn't say more than 20% of calories AT MAX.

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-1_17-37-47.png
    upload_2020-11-1_17-37-47.png
    334.8 KB · Views: 12
  • upload_2020-11-1_17-38-22.png
    upload_2020-11-1_17-38-22.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 10
  • upload_2020-11-1_17-41-16.png
    upload_2020-11-1_17-41-16.png
    216.5 KB · Views: 12

MitchMitchell

Yup some people out here in those communities really think rice and bananas cause obesity. Not pizzas, burgers, tacos, muffins and other “carbs” or other Frankenstein “low fat” “heart healthy” products.

Although every community has their scapegoat. Vegans believe eggs cause CVD, Peat would have you believe that walnuts cause death basically, etc.

The only interesting metric to look at is caloric intake.

Jessie

I think they actually considered 30% fat diets as "low" fat, lol. Anything under 33% basically. Real low fat diets are at least half that, and many of the studies done utilizing low-fat diets as a therapeutic tool to control chronic disease used nearly three times less fat.

It's readily apparent that there was a lot of cognitive dissonance from the nutritional communities back then regarding low fat diets. It's almost like they wanted to roll out a ill-prepared plan to make low fat diets look bad, having the long term consequence of pushing people even deeper into the oiling of America.

Hgreen56

I think they actually considered 30% fat diets as "low" fat, lol. Anything under 33% basically. Real low fat diets are at least half that, and many of the studies done utilizing low-fat diets as a therapeutic tool to control chronic disease used nearly three times less fat.

It's readily apparent that there was a lot of cognitive dissonance from the nutritional communities back then regarding low fat diets. It's almost like they wanted to roll out a ill-prepared plan to make low fat diets look bad, having the long term consequence of pushing people even deeper into the oiling of America.
who are "they"

Jessie

who are "they"
The folks that set the offical dietary guidelines. USDA I think. You know, the whole food pyramid stuff.

scratch that, I don't think it's the USDA, They're agriculture not dietary.

Jessie

Someone bring Westsidepufas in here.
That person was great, I didn't have an account back then, but I loved how he really pushed back against this idea that saturated fat is exclusively a "good guy." You can still look up his old posts here.

A lot of people who come to bioenergetics do so from a low carb lifestyle, and many of them have a hard time letting go of the fact saturated fat isn't always good. And it's never really "great." Any fat will lower carbon dioxide if it's displacing carbohydrate in the diet. Carbs are king, period.

He had a old youtube account where he clipped a portion of an interview with Ray which was really crucial. Because in that interview Ray said that both sugar AND starch is superior to fat (including saturated fat). The anti-starch bigrade would not like to hear that, lol.

But he deleted his account and I don't know which interview that came from. It was one of the herb doctor interviews, and there's way too many of those for me to sort through.

Limon9

Ha. Westside's ravings were highly useful for me, personally - decreasing dietary fat from ~20 to 12% was insulin-sensitizing.

Back
Top Bottom